Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NAS Recommendatons
(09-Jul-2014, 09:00)jjo Wrote:
(08-Jul-2014, 09:53)Eddye Wrote: I now have a Synology DS412+, before that I had a QNAP NAS. The Synology software is a lot more user friendly and the DS412+ is a very quiet machine. The main advantage of QNAP is it's build quality. The Qnap is all metal, while the Synology is all plastic.
Are you comparing to the new QNAP 4.x series software or the old one?
No, I compared it to the software that was current at the time I bought the DS412+. I think that was 3.X
Devialet 200 <> Bowers & Wilkins 805 Diamond <> Aurender N100 <> Clearaudio Concept MC <> Audioquest Rocket 44/Coffee USB

The Netherlands
I would never go for a low-end NAS and rather built a headless PC for that purpose; it'll give you way more performance and functionality for the buck. Smile
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
I am not a computer expert, but I do know that you can buy a PC, say an HP 23" touch screen machine with 1tb hard disc etc. for less than £700. Now, someone who does know his IT stuff, could strip out any Windows type stuff that is not required to optimise, this could be a dedicated music server hard wired via ethernet to a Devialet. I know that such a machine will not be the absolute last word in sound quality, but it should be very nearly as good, if not as good as most input methods. And what do you get? A nice music music server with 23" colour touch screen. A bit like a Meridian Sooloos, but you could run Jriver or whatever else you prefer, and vastly cheaper. Obvious? Genius? A daft idea? I'm not sure??
(11-Jul-2014, 13:11)Confused Wrote: I am not a computer expert, but I do know that you can buy a PC, say an HP 23" touch screen machine with 1tb hard disc etc. for less than £700. Now, someone who does know his IT stuff, could strip out any Windows type stuff that is not required to optimise, this could be a dedicated music server hard wired via ethernet to a Devialet. I know that such a machine will not be the absolute last word in sound quality, but it should be very nearly as good, if not as good as most input methods. And what do you get? A nice music music server with 23" colour touch screen. A bit like a Meridian Sooloos, but you could run Jriver or whatever else you prefer, and vastly cheaper. Obvious? Genius? A daft idea? I'm not sure??

Good idea, I'd say. Then again, I'm streaming from my Mac Mini with Remote on my iPad. That's not so different from a 23" touchscreen windows machine.
Devialet 200 <> Bowers & Wilkins 805 Diamond <> Aurender N100 <> Clearaudio Concept MC <> Audioquest Rocket 44/Coffee USB

The Netherlands
I must admit I quite like the Mac Mini idea..... Plus, many folk claim that Macs sound better than PC's, I have no idea if this is true, or if the Mac Mini is as good as say a full iMac. I guess it is as good as most possible options though. Very neat and simple. Has the Mac Mini been trouble and bug free? I feel strangely tempted to investigate this one further.....
(11-Jul-2014, 21:59)Confused Wrote: I must admit I quite like the Mac Mini idea..... Plus, many folk claim that Macs sound better than PC's, I have no idea if this is true, or if the Mac Mini is as good as say a full iMac. I guess it is as good as most possible options though. Very neat and simple. Has the Mac Mini been trouble and bug free? I feel strangely tempted to investigate this one further.....

If you look at other postings in the forum, you'll find people who did the opposite : switching from Mac to PC. Have a look at http://www.highend-audiopc.com
I'm not qualified to voice an opinion on what is the best solution. Just a reminder.