Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sonos via Optical in on Dialog ?
Hi
Still have not bought myself a Stereo pair as....
Had this question up before but then the Phantom / dialog was not up to the task to use the Sonos Optical out ( Toslink).
I don't want to use Spark as my main controller, understand it is necessary to be able to make the set-up in Spark, but then I hope to be able to control all via Sonos.

Seen users say they use optical in directly on the Phantoms, but I would like to use the optical in on the Dialogs so the phantoms can be connected/ working wireless

Questions:
1. Will this work ?
2. How stable is it
3. Do the systems up-start on signal in ( like on Sonos) ...or do I need to start the dialog / Phantoms manually every time

Thanks in advance
Devialet Silver Phantoms pair + Dialog, will be connected through DSPeaker 2.0 ( DSP / Room-Correction) and hopped-up G-sonos. ( thinking of ROON) "Retiring" Goldmund / JOB225 Amp, Antony Gallo Reference 3.5. Keeping Active Bang & Olufsen Beolabs in different rooms connected to Sonos.
Spark is the only way to set up Phantoms and to set volume. Once the optical input has been chosen one can play through it without launching Spark but you can then not change the volume.
If Dialog and Phantoms are left plugged in they appear tp start up in the same settings as were last used.
I have never used Sonos so I don't know if there are other limitations too.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(25-May-2015, 10:46)McChicken Wrote: Hi
Still have not bought myself a Stereo pair as....
Had this question up before but then the Phantom / dialog was not up to the task to use the Sonos Optical out ( Toslink).
I don't want to use Spark as my main controller, understand it is necessary to be able to make the set-up in Spark, but then I hope to be able to control all via Sonos.

Seen users say they use optical in directly on the Phantoms, but I would like to use the optical in on the Dialogs so the phantoms can be connected/ working wireless

Questions:
1. Will this work ?
2. How stable is it
3. Do the systems up-start on signal in ( like on Sonos) ...or do I need to start the dialog / Phantoms manually every time

Thanks in advance

The optical output from Sonos will provide only the audio data to the Phantom.  I don't know whether the Phantom can auto-detect a digital input signal and start up automatically - maybe so.

As far as I know, both Sonos and Phantom use proprietary control protocols; in the case of Sonos (and I assume Phantom as well) this is over a network connection.  There is no reason to expect that they can talk to each other, so I think your hope of being able to control Phantom via a Sonos controller is unlikely to be realised in practice - sorry...  (As a Sonos user, I would love to be proved wrong on that point!)
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(25-May-2015, 11:40)thumb5 Wrote: The optical output from Sonos will provide only the audio data to the Phantom.  I don't know whether the Phantom can auto-detect a digital input signal and start up automatically - maybe so.

As far as I know, both Sonos and Phantom use proprietary control protocols; in the case of Sonos (and I assume Phantom as well) this is over a network connection.  There is no reason to expect that they can talk to each other, so I think your hope of being able to control Phantom via a Sonos controller is unlikely to be realised in practice - sorry...  (As a Sonos user, I would love to be proved wrong on that point!)

Thumb,
Sorry for not making myself clear enough.
I like to use the Sonos as an DIGITAL AUDIO SOURCE ( Toslink Cable) and connect that to the Toslink connector input on the Dialog.
plz forget the Sonos Wireless system...
When Phantoms came out not even Devialet Support was sure if they DIRECT digital Toslink input on Phantoms would work, after that there have been some Firmware up-dates and YES a lot of users play music via Digital input directly into the back of the Phantoms. 
However if wanting Stereo then a Digital splitter is needed..I like to avoid that and use the Digital In ( Toslink) on the Dialog, setting up Spark recognizing a stereo pair of Phantoms as well as using a build in ( hopefully) Left-Right channel splitter.
Devialet Silver Phantoms pair + Dialog, will be connected through DSPeaker 2.0 ( DSP / Room-Correction) and hopped-up G-sonos. ( thinking of ROON) "Retiring" Goldmund / JOB225 Amp, Antony Gallo Reference 3.5. Keeping Active Bang & Olufsen Beolabs in different rooms connected to Sonos.
The Phantoms will start on signal-in, the do with my TV and did with my Sonos Connect (which is currently disconnected).

If you set your Connect to use variable volume, you will also be able to control volume via Sonos (after setting your "maximum" via Spark first).
(25-May-2015, 13:30)EvPa Wrote: The Phantoms will start on signal-in, the do with my TV and did with my Sonos Connect (which is currently disconnected).

If you set your Connect to use variable volume, you will also be able to control volume via Sonos (after setting your "maximum" via Spark first).

THANKS !
Exactly what I wanted to know...and you are talking via Dialog, not Phantoms direct ?
(25-May-2015, 14:02)McChicken Wrote: Exactly what I wanted to know...and you are talking via Dialog, not Phantoms direct ?

The Connect was plugged in one of the two Silver Phantoms.

I would check with the Dialog's optical input for you but I will not be home until late next month...
(25-May-2015, 13:14)McChicken Wrote: Thumb,
Sorry for not making myself clear enough.
I like to use the Sonos as an DIGITAL AUDIO SOURCE ( Toslink Cable) and connect that to the Toslink connector input on the Dialog.
plz forget the Sonos Wireless system...

Sorry if I misunderstood; I think it was the phrase "but then I hope to be able to control all via Sonos" that threw me... Smile
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
I have my Sonos connect connected to my Dialog via an optical cable. Great for internet radio and Soundcloud and other service yet to be available through Spark. It also works if you connect the Sonos to any Phantom speaker in a Dialog system sharing the music signal with other individual or stereo pair Phantoms in the system.

As previously mentioned, set the volume at the desire level and adjust the Sonos output using variable output setting. I believe though that with the Sonos, that some digital data is lost unless the Sonos' output is set to 100%. Still sounds great to me.

I wonder how the Phantom volume is reduced for data it receives from other Phantoms/Dialog units in a network?
Thanks Superstock..
exactly the info I need...do you have any drop-outs or other Phantom / Dialog system issues specifically related to the Optical input on the DIALOG ( as that is the way I would like to connect my Sonos Audio source)