Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NAS drives direct into Dialog?
Apologies for the (probably dumb) question, I am new to digital music and streaming in particular. I wondered is it possible to connect a NAS drive directly to a Phantom or Dialog?

If not what is the simplest way to accomplish this, as I am thinking about moving my music onto a NAS drive and obviously want to be able to access it on my Phantom without too much complication.

thanks!
USB is probably simplest depending on the NAS you use.
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
(26-May-2015, 16:33)MattC Wrote: Apologies for the (probably dumb) question, I am new to digital music and streaming in particular.  I wondered is it possible to connect a NAS drive directly to a Phantom or Dialog?

If not what is the simplest way to accomplish this, as I am thinking about moving my music onto a NAS drive and obviously want to be able to access it on my Phantom without too much complication.

thanks!

Not possible for now as you need Spark to access the NAS. Spark needs to run on a Mac or PC. In Spark you can connect to the NAS, e.g. through SNB or another file protocol. You can add the path to your NAS in Spark and like this access your music files in Spark. However Spark needs to be running. And your PC/Mac needs to be well attached to the Network and NAS that the streaming works on the longer path (PC-NAS-PC-Dialog-Phantom)  Maybe Devialet will create one day Spark for a NAS or for linux that can be ported to a NAS like QNAP or Synology. Or they will enable that the Dialog USB can read a USB drive with music files on it. This would be the fastest and easiest.
I emailed them and they said they're working on it. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think I read somewhere a while back that the devialet expert by connecting a synology server by usb you can use the synology ds audio app to play. Could one do that with the dialog?
Only after they actually enable the USB input on the Dialog in a future firmware update.
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
Hi everyone.,
Any idea when this function (access to a NAS either through Dialog's USB port or UPNP) will be enabled?
Thanks!
From Devialet's website, from what I've read and come to understand is that the USB on the Dialog is supposedly for connecting to an Expert; ie. it's an output port. As Dialog doesn't has any DAC in it, I doubt it can convert any audio signal.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

Quote:A free update in the future will allow access to NAS servers, which integrates UPnP technologies, to be connected to PHANTOM via DIALOG, the Wi-Fi router by DEVIALET.

https://help.devialet.com/hc/en-us/artic...to-PHANTOM-

Website just says NAS is compatible in a future update. The USB is for the Expert line as specified in the White Paper.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Current: Phantom Silvers, Oppo 105D (Toslink), Raspberry Pi + Digi+, ROON
Pre-Phantom: PenAudio Rebel2, Nuforce MCH-2C5, Oppo 105D (Analog)
I hope the phantoms will become way more flexible in the way one can stream content.
Don't get me wrong. I'm really intrigued by them.

Though reading here it still seems very beta with limitied options to actually get music/movies playing on them.
Disappointing considering the premium price tag.
I hope devialet delivers in the near future.
(09-Jul-2015, 01:45)hk6230 Wrote: From Devialet's website, from what I've read and come to understand is that the USB on the Dialog is supposedly for connecting to an Expert; ie. it's an output port. As Dialog doesn't has any DAC in it, I doubt it can convert any audio signal.

The Dialog has processing and connectivity, yes. I am pretty sure it will do the cinema 5.1 conversion. It does indeed not have a DAC (it would be pretty useless if it had since there are no audio connections on a Dialog)
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire