Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
HQPlayer
Just started playing around with HQplayer:

Roon to HQplayer to Mutec USB to Devialet (the roon to HQplayer part btw was quite straightforward to setup)

The HQ player DSD64 and 128 upsampling sounds a tad tighter and more articulated than Roon DSP the sound of which is too warm for my tastes.  The PCM upsampling (as well as DSD) gives you many choices of filtering and dither which initially is a bit overwhelming (for a non engineer!) but the experimentation is fun and seems to alter space around instruments, soundstage size and the speed of transients.  I have found the FIR, sinc and Closed form filters work well for classical/jazz.

But having said all that I am leaning towards feeding the system with plain old 16/44.1 - considering Devialet hardware probably has the computing power to perform signal processing well - I wonder if leaving the DSP to the Devialet achieves perhaps balance between detail, sound stage, speed and musicailty . . 

Would be interested if folks with Mutec or other reclockers have found a big improvement with HQ player in the signal chain . .
Roon/mac mini > hqplayer > sms-200 ultra and MC-3+ USB both clocked via Mutec Ref 10 > MIT Oracle MA-X AES/EBU > D440 > Dynaudio C1 MkII via MIT Matrix HD-60
(14-Feb-2017, 16:05)GuillaumeB Wrote: Would members care to share their HQPlayer settings here?

Also details of how you are running HQPlayer: hardware, integration with Roon etc.

Guillaume

Hi Guillaume,

I have been using HQPlayer for some time now. I am running a µ-rendu set in NAA mode followed by a Mutec MC-3+ USB. The connection of the µ-rendu to the MacMini is made in bridge mode as detailed in this thread: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-mu...post618454

I am using the convolution features of HQPlayer with correction impulses generated with rePhase.
I am very happy with the results which are clearly the very best I ever got from my system.
I am planning to do the 30 day trial (Windows) of HQPlayer. This will be PC, Ethernet, microRendu, Mutec, Devialet. However, DSD256 is currently not possible via the mR due to the lack of a Linux patch for the Mutec. Sonore are currently sorting this out. Once the Linux issue is fixed I'll try HQPlayer and report back. I could run DoP128 now, but there have been a number of favourable reports regarding HQPlayer upsampling to DSD256, so I might as well wait until I can try this via the Mutec.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(14-Feb-2017, 17:07)Confused Wrote: I am planning to do the 30 day trial (Windows) of HQPlayer.  This will be PC, Ethernet, microRendu, Mutec, Devialet.  However, DSD256 is currently not possible via the mR due to the lack of a Linux patch for the Mutec.  Sonore are currently sorting this out.  Once the Linux issue is fixed I'll try HQPlayer and report back.  I could run DoP128 now, but there have been a number of favourable reports regarding HQPlayer upsampling to DSD256, so I might as well wait until I can try this via the Mutec.

Hi Confused,

In this configuration, you would rely on the Mutec to make the DSD -> PCM conversion wouldn't you ? Do you expect better results with this setup than converting to PCM in HQPlayer and feed PCM through the Mutec to the Devialet ?
(14-Feb-2017, 17:26)SwissBear Wrote:
(14-Feb-2017, 17:07)Confused Wrote: I am planning to do the 30 day trial (Windows) of HQPlayer.  This will be PC, Ethernet, microRendu, Mutec, Devialet.  However, DSD256 is currently not possible via the mR due to the lack of a Linux patch for the Mutec.  Sonore are currently sorting this out.  Once the Linux issue is fixed I'll try HQPlayer and report back.  I could run DoP128 now, but there have been a number of favourable reports regarding HQPlayer upsampling to DSD256, so I might as well wait until I can try this via the Mutec.

Hi Confused,

In this configuration, you would rely on the Mutec to make the DSD -> PCM conversion wouldn't you ? Do you expect better results with this setup than converting to PCM in HQPlayer and feed PCM through the Mutec to the Devialet ?
Yes, the Mutec would convert DSD to PCM, the Mutec reclocks, then sends reclocked PCM to the Devialet.  From what I have read, the Mutec does a very good job of the DSD to PCM conversion.  As to what I expect, to be honest my expectations are quite low!  In fact, I suspect that I may well end up preferring the sending of good old 'bit perfect' 16/44.1 to the Devialet.  However, you never know unless you try!  So I will be trying HQPlayer DSD64, mR, USB to the Devialet, but I doubt this will provide an optimum solution simply because I think the USB implementation in the Devialet is inferior to AES/EBU.   At least my expectation bias will be firmly in check when I try all this! Shy
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(14-Feb-2017, 17:39)Confused Wrote: So I will be trying HQPlayer DSD64, mR, USB to the Devialet, but I doubt this will provide an optimum solution simply because I think the USB implementation in the Devialet is inferior to AES/EBU.   At least my expectation bias will be firmly in check when I try all this! Shy

Or you could keep is simple and do HQPlayer -> DSD64 -> Air to the Devialet.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(14-Feb-2017, 18:16)Dr Tone Wrote:
(14-Feb-2017, 17:39)Confused Wrote: So I will be trying HQPlayer DSD64, mR, USB to the Devialet, but I doubt this will provide an optimum solution simply because I think the USB implementation in the Devialet is inferior to AES/EBU.   At least my expectation bias will be firmly in check when I try all this! Shy

Or you could keep is simple and do HQPlayer -> DSD64 -> Air to the Devialet.

Agreed.  It would be easy enough to try, so why not?

In this 30 day trial is it just me that gets HQ Player to behave like this, the sound comes and goes? At first I thougt that is was because it is a test version but how can you test it when it behaves like this? Everything works with Roon and Air through HQ Player just this sound, silence, sound, silence is bloody anoying..... Huh
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

I'm using an old 2008 MacBook Pro, 8Gb RAM, 1Tb disk. Roon -> HQP -> mRendu -> 220Pro.

PCM is upsampled to 176 or 192 depending on original rate. Poly-sinc-ext, NS9. DSD is set to pass through as is to Dev. I also did some room measurements with REW and use them in HQP's convolution engine as way of a parametric EQ. It has really helped a lot, though (probably due to my inexperience) I had to push up the lows a bit.

Due to the Mac being almost 9 years old if I try to upsample to DSD64 it starts to stutter and the like. Therefore, DSD just passes through and only PCM is upsampled. But seeing some comments in this thread I have the following question: why upsample to 128 or 256 if the Dev can't process them? I guess that the Mutec in the middle might be downsampling to 64, could it be so?

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(14-Feb-2017, 20:28)octaviars Wrote: In this 30 day trial is it just me that gets HQ Player to behave like this, the sound comes and goes? At first I thougt that is was because it is a test version but how can you test it when it behaves like this? Everything works with Roon and Air through HQ Player just this sound, silence, sound, silence is bloody anoying..... Huh

Did you try setting a buffer time in the HQPlayer, like 100 ms for example? That solved a similar problem in my environment. I hope it works for you, too.
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland