Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Little newb help please...
Just received my 200 yesterday and with minimal effort was able to start streaming from my reclocked Sonos ZP90. System shows its running version 7.1.2 and I'd like to bump that to 7.1.3 (still afraid of 8.0 and any attempt at configuring until I'm a little further along as right now everythings a struggle till I can memorize buttons, settings etc). I'd like to get thru 400-500 hours of break-in with nothing more than Sonos streaming from Deezer Elite (96/24). In fact the only feature I may add down the road is the ability to run TV thru the 200. I'm open to recommendations regarding best setup given "Sonos only" source for the foreseeable future. My speakers are not Sammable and will never be until/if the SAM team shows up in town doing custom one-offs as they are NADA's built from Klang+Ton plans with custom high-end XO's and custom cabinets by Lee Taylor in New York. Besides they sound incredible right outta the chutes with the unbroken-in Devialet as-is! Surprisingly so in fact... I'm a little gape-jawed!

Couple questions:

*What's the Sim card spec? I know from my PS Audio DirectStream requirement they can sometimes be hard to find locally. For other equipment they're everywhere!
* Does Rev 7.1.3 offer a significant increase in SQ over 7.1.2? If not I'll run with the current setup till I'm a little more settled in with Devialet.
* If 7.1.3 is better can it be done with minimal or no configuration changes given my "single source" use?

Thanks in advance for any/all helpful hints/recommendations! Once I'm up to speed I should be able to hit the ground running on subsequent FW releases. Its just that 12 hours into Devialet, its all a bit overwhelming.
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
The cards are standard SD cards (SDHC). Memory size is not an issue, 2GB is fine, but I think it is almost impossible to buy anything smaller than 4GB these days, so just get the best value / lowest memory available.

Firmware 7.1.2 is only found as standard supply on some recently supplied amps, it was never offered as an upgrade, so most of the folks on here will have tried 7.1.1 / 7.1.3beta / 8.0. 7.1.2 was never made available to us old timers.

Your current config should work fine with 7.1.3, if you want to try it. If I was you I would just stick with 7.1.2 until you have had time to get use to the sound of the amp and let everything bed in.
Just as a warning I have never managed to get any card above 4 GB to work in a 200/400.
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
(28-May-2015, 13:15)NickB Wrote: Just as a warning I have never managed to get any card above 4 GB to work in a 200/400.

For my relatively new 400s, 8gb SD cards work just fine.

As for 7.1.2, My amps came with 7.1.1 FW.  I tried 7.1.3 and found it too bright.  I have since switched to 8.0.0 with DPM and power saving modes disabled in the last week and have found it more than decent with no bugs that I am aware of, although there are a few others reporting issues in this forum.

Kerry
Laufer Teknik Memory Player - Atlas Mavros S/PDIF x 2 - Mutec MC-3+ USB Reclocker - Sablon Panatella BNC-SPDIF Digital Cable - LampizatOr Big 7 Tube DAC
Ayre Acoustics AX5-Twenty Amplifier - Rockport Technologies Cygnus Loudspeakers - Rel Gibralter G1 Six Pack Subs - Siltech Princess XLR - Ear to Ear Cables and PCs - Canada
If 'standard' works and 2GB is sufficient then I'm golden as that's the card required for the DirectStream DAC which proved impossible to source locally so I snagged a dozen from Amazon several months back. One last question; is the SD card that came with the unit 'blank' or is 7.1.2 FW already stored on it? If current FW is on it I'll keep it around in the event I update and want to go back.

Seems initially I may be best off sticking with 7.1.2 which I'm happy to do thru break-in unless a number of original 7.1.2 users happen along recommending the 7.1.3 bump. I'm still too skittish of 8.0, its accompanying bugs and configuration-heavy requirements at this early stage of my learning curve.

Thanks everyone, its really appreciated!
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
I just got my D200 last Friday.
I'm playing with 7.1.3 and 8.0.0
I was also in 7.1.2, and there is no firmware on the provided SD.
Will go again with 8.0.0 to play with DSD files
B&W 805d - Athom Zef Max - Devialet D200 - AIR Ethernet - Roon ROCK (NUC8i3BEH + LPSU100) - Qobuz

- FR -
(28-May-2015, 15:46)ledesc Wrote: I just got my D200 last Friday.
I'm playing with 7.1.3 and 8.0.0
I was also in 7.1.2, and there is no firmware on the provided SD.
Will go again with 8.0.0 to play with DSD files

Thanks ledesc! What's your impression of 7.1.2 vs 7.1.3? Worthwhile upgrade SQ-wise?
(28-May-2015, 13:43)MusicFirst Wrote:
(28-May-2015, 13:15)NickB Wrote: Just as a warning I have never managed to get any card above 4 GB to work in a 200/400.

As for 7.1.2, My amps came with 7.1.1 FW.  I tried 7.1.3 and found it too bright.  I have since switched to 8.0.0 with DPM and power saving modes disabled in the last week and have found it more than decent with no bugs that I am aware of, although there are a few others reporting issues in this forum.

Kerry

What brand of card are they as all the ones over 4 GB I tried give me a unrecognisable media error.
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
(28-May-2015, 18:01)NickB Wrote:
(28-May-2015, 13:43)MusicFirst Wrote:

Kerry

What brand of card are they as all the ones over 4 GB I tried give me a unrecognisable media error.

Why would you need larger than 4GB SD card? If I have a 1GB SD card, I would use it. It's more than enough to do firmware upgrade.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

(29-May-2015, 01:44)hk6230 Wrote: Why would you need larger than 4GB SD card? If I have a 1GB SD card, I would use it. It's more than enough to do firmware upgrade.

I think the issue has been that 4 GB cards are somewhat hard to find, given that the market and production has gone to higher capacity cards. There has been some discussion about large capacity SD cards not working.

Manoet, welcome, and congrats. I'm sure others will want to see pics of your funky speakers. The firmware upgrade is not scary; make sure your card is empty of all other files. copy the desired firmware files onto the card, unplug the Dev, insert the card, and then re-connect the power cord. The firmware update (or downgrade, if desired) happens automatically. There are some instructional threads here about that, so look around. Also I found the Devialet website instructions clear and easy to follow.

Finally, my D120 took about 50 hours to settle in. You may not need several hundred hours.  I think there has been some further easing of the slightly sharp treble since then but the first month did it. Mine was new in mid Feb. Also, since Sonos streams 16/44, you may save some of your data allotment by using smaller files.

Very pleased you're thrilled with the sound. It is remarkable.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada