Poll: Can I hear differences between cables?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
76.92%
170 76.92%
No
23.08%
51 23.08%
Total 221 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CABLE SURVEY
(22-Feb-2016, 20:55)Dr Tone Wrote: I originally voted no as I couldn't hear a difference between any regular cables I tried.  But having tried my first set of transparent cables ("Filtered") to solve a top end issue, they do sound very different to me so I guess I should have voted yes now.

Maybe filtered cables don't fit in the normal cable debate?

Just for amusement take a look at this:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-m...-XL-Speak/

That's just a bit of fun but if you take a look around you will find a break-down of an actual Transparent cable which shows what actually is in one of their filter boxes.  Is it worth the price?  For you to decide Wink
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(22-Feb-2016, 21:04)PhilP Wrote:
(22-Feb-2016, 20:55)Dr Tone Wrote: I originally voted no as I couldn't hear a difference between any regular cables I tried.  But having tried my first set of transparent cables ("Filtered") to solve a top end issue, they do sound very different to me so I guess I should have voted yes now.

That's just a bit of fun but if you take a look around you will find a break-down of an actual Transparent cable which shows what actually is in one of their filter boxes.  Is it worth the price?  For you to decide Wink

I think I'd pay $220 and at least get something that looks nice instead of hacking a solution together that looks like crap.   Huh
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(22-Feb-2016, 21:39)Dr Tone Wrote:
(22-Feb-2016, 21:04)PhilP Wrote:

I think I'd pay $220 and at least get something that looks nice instead of hacking a solution together that looks like crap.   Huh

Can you buy Transparent speaker cable for $220? I'm amazed - how long is it 6"?   Big Grin Big Grin
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
(22-Feb-2016, 21:48)PhilP Wrote:
(22-Feb-2016, 21:04)PhilP Wrote: Just for amusement take a look at this:

Can you buy Transparent speaker cable for $220? I'm amazed - how long is it 6"?   Big Grin Big Grin

8ft pair.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(22-Feb-2016, 21:04)PhilP Wrote: Just for amusement take a look at this:

£420 for 8ft pair of Gen 5 Transparent Music Wave... Probably quite a bit cheaper in US though!

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(22-Feb-2016, 21:53)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(22-Feb-2016, 21:39)Dr Tone Wrote: I think I'd pay $220 and at least get something that looks nice instead of hacking a solution together that looks like crap.   Huh

£420 for 8ft pair of Gen 5 Transparent Music Wave... Probably quite a bit cheaper in US though!

Guillaume

The Wave 8ft pair is listed on their store for $220US. Music Wave is $440US for a 8ft pair.

After these 2 models the price starts getting crazy.

A
(22-Feb-2016, 22:03)Dr Tone Wrote:
(22-Feb-2016, 21:53)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(22-Feb-2016, 21:48)PhilP Wrote: Can you buy Transparent speaker cable for $220? I'm amazed - how long is it 6"?   Big Grin Big Grin

Guillaume

The Wave 8ft pair is listed on their store for $220US.  Music Wave is $440US for a 8ft pair.

Ok, I give in - all the Transparent speaker cables that I'd seen/heard were at the crazy prices you mention - I didn't know that they offered bargain basement cables as well Wink
(22-Feb-2016, 22:15)PhilP Wrote:
(22-Feb-2016, 22:03)Dr Tone Wrote: The Wave 8ft pair is listed on their store for $220US.  Music Wave is $440US for a 8ft pair.

Ok, I give in - all the Transparent speaker cables that I'd seen/heard were at the crazy prices you mention - I didn't know that they offered bargain basement cables as well Wink

The question is: can anyone double blind between the affordable and crazy priced versions?  Dodgy

(22-Feb-2016, 22:29)Dr Tone Wrote:
(22-Feb-2016, 22:03)Dr Tone Wrote: The Wave 8ft pair is listed on their store for $220US.  Music Wave is $440US for a 8ft pair.

The question is: can anyone double blind between the affordable and crazy priced versions?  Dodgy

I frankly doubt it. Clearly varying values of L C and H will affect frequency response so you can make cables sound different by varying them e.g. as Transparent do with their filter boxes.
(22-Feb-2016, 22:29)Dr Tone Wrote:

I haven't tried any Transparent cables but MIT, from which the Transparent was spawned by an ex-distributor I believe, and Goldmund have cables with filters. They were the only cables sounding different to the normal cables, which were all the same to me, regardless of price. They sounded similar to each other but not exactly the same. The MIT, which I borrowed had a single big filter box, the Goldmund ones had different boxes at each end, one designed for speaker and one for amp output. I used these for some years with a Spectral amp and Sonus Faber Extremas. When I upgraded to Goldmund amps and speakers the circuitry of the filter boxes was integrated into the amp output and crossover so the boxes were removed (they attach to the cable itself via a massive coaxial connector) and the amp and speakers have the special coaxial connectors directly on them alongside standard type connectors for non-Goldmund cable.
The filter networks on the Goldmund interconnects are built into a slightly over-size connector at one end FWIW.
I definitely prefer the cables with filters to all normal cables.

DNM supply filters one model of which can be added in parallel with normal speaker cables. http://www.dnm.co.uk/acatalog/HFTNs.html
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire