Poll: Can I hear differences between cables?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
76.92%
170 76.92%
No
23.08%
51 23.08%
Total 221 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CABLE SURVEY
YES..

Differences between Furutech and Less Loss Original power cables are subtle but obvious. (I prefer Furutech so far. Less Loss makes the treble sound brittle to me)
Every speaker cable i have tried sounds different. Non are particularly high end but all 5 i have messed about with sound different.

I think i have issues which are affecting my set up negatively before i can settle on cables though..
Cables/conductors that are of the same purity, length and gauge are audibly indistinguishable.  However, variations in connectors can lead to disparities in audio quality but even then it will be insignificant compared to the system as a whole.  As for silver versus copper having an audible difference, it would be very very unlikely one could perceive any difference.  But given the price difference I would choose copper every day of the week and twice on Sunday.  

In the past I have bought exotic/expensive cables but mostly because they looked cool.  These days I construct my own cables out of 99.99% pure copper (C10100) from tip-to-tail (in other words, the connectors are also pure copper at 99.9% C11000).  They are as good as, if not better quality than, any exotic/expensive cable on the planet and obviously a much better price.
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
(04-Jul-2016, 10:48)RebelMan Wrote: Cables/conductors that are of the same purity, length and gauge are audibly indistinguishable.  However, variations in connectors can lead to disparities in audio quality but even then it will be insignificant compared to the system as a whole.  As for silver versus copper having an audible difference, it would be very very unlikely one could perceive any difference.  But given the price difference I would choose copper every day of the week and twice on Sunday.  

In the past I have bought exotic/expensive cables but mostly because they looked cool.  These days I construct my own cables out of 99.99% pure copper (C10100) from tip-to-tail (in other words, the connectors are also pure copper at 99.9% C11000).  They are as good as, if not better quality than, any exotic/expensive cable on the planet and obviously a much better price.

That's interesting. How do you prevent your connectors from corroding? Is the secret in the 0.09%?
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Only the exposed surfaces will oxidize but they won't corrode. And the only time you have to be concerned with oxidation is when the connections are broken or reseated. In which case you simply repolish the contact points of the connectors before reconnecting the cable. Unfortunately, silver also oxidizes and gold is not nearly as good a conductor. What is reassuring to know is that my cables are not impeding the signal in any way but that cannot be said of most other cables. Although using plated connectors may not make a difference to the listener the integrity of the signal still suffers regardless.
I never believed that cables could make a difference. This was was about 3 years ago when I had a very modest Cyrus gear. Just by chance I found someone selling TCI constrictor power cables at a bargain price and decide to purchase them. Connected them up to my amplifier and pre-amp and the soundstage expanded by a fair bit. On that day I decided to join the camp that believes cables are an integral part of the hifi chain. It only takes that one time. Since then I have only had my beliefs cemented by using the best cables I can afford. Most recent jaw dropping moment was with the AudioQuest Vodka CAT 7 cable. The most satisfying moment is when you change a cable and play a favourite recoding and the bit that was always fuzzy becomes crystal clear. It's like a aha moment. But I do believe that there is a lot of snake oil out there when it comes to cables. Personally I would never invest more than a £1000 on one cable.
Auralic Mini (Sbooster LPSU), Rega RP8, Melco N1A, Devialet D200, Devialet 400, ELAC BS314, ELAC BS312, Sonus Faber Olympica 1, Audioquest (Victoria, Yosemite, Vodka Cat7, Carbon USB) Chord Epic Master/Companion link, Wireworld Oasis 7 speaker cable, Inakustik Reference LS-803 speaker cable,Isotek premium mains cables, TCI mains cables, Atlas mains unfiltered distribution block, Supra filtered mains distribution block, and synergistic research (red/black fuse,sort kone), and vertexaq (silver-jaya).
If speaker companies wired their drivers with designer cables nobody would be able to afford them, nobody. Ever take a look inside? You'll be shocked if you haven't. You'll know better if you have.
(14-Jul-2016, 06:57)RebelMan Wrote: If speaker companies wired their drivers with designer cables nobody would be able to afford them, nobody.  Ever take a look inside?  You'll be shocked if you haven't.  You'll know better if you have.

I think the reason most speaker builders just use copper wire is because the return on investment of designer wire is much less than the other parts of the speaker. (i.e. use better wire and you get 5% bang for your buck, use better drivers and you get 20% bang)
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
There is a grain of truth to that given the conversations I have had with some speaker manufacturers but it's purely serendipitous. The reality is that cabling is NOT the weak link many designer cable manufacturers would lead you to believe. The type of solder and connectors used at the contact points matters more.
That, and price because they are temporary, was one of the reasons I went for Blue Jeans speaker cable. The use ultrasonic welding for their connectors. And I got banana connectors which can be locked. Just simple things that, for me as a trained sparky, make sense.
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Having only purchased my 200 5 or 6 weeks ago i still use the cables from my previous system, this being all Chord Cable Signature tuned array and Signature speaker, so far it's giving sterling sound so i'm not any time soon going to replace what cost me in the region of £4000,
the power cables are currently Isotek's Elite's, being an electrical engineer myself i installed a balanced mains supply, the best up grade for any system i have used, and that's alot.
TOYS:- Devialet 400, PS Audio Perfectwave Transport, Melco N1A, Boenicke W8's, cabled throughout Chord Signature tuned aray. Intel I7 NUC Roon Rock/Tidal.
Mains supply, dedicated consumer unit, 5Kw balanced transformer,
. plenty of IFI accessories, Melco Ethernet cables, Townshend isolation throughout, All furutech mains cables.
Recently added. PS Audio PP5, Townshend Audio 5 tier Seismic table.SBooster psu for NUC,