Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Right channel balance has to be bumped 16-20%
(09-Jun-2015, 14:53)Manoet Wrote: Today or tomorrow I find out if Devialet will require me to send my 200 back for repair or if they'll simply send me a replacement unit and a call tag for the malfunctioning unit. 
Hi Manoet sorry to hear about your issues. One thing that I'm not clear about - why isn't your dealer shouldering the responsibility here? If the unit was effectively faulty from the go why can't you simply reject the unit and ask for your money back? Alternatively they could just offer you a different unit and take care of the rest themselves? Presumably they have stock?
I think it would have been different if you had had the unit for a few months but this is brand new right?

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
As I'm understanding things its related to Devialet taking over the Canadian distributorship and wanting to assume any/all warranties on units dealer sold. Devialet may well be willing to offer me a new unit but because I'm on the cusp of dealer and Devialet 'take-over' there's no precedent. I'll know later today or tomorrow in which case this may well be much adieu about nothing. Yes, the unit arrived on May 25th and I contacted dealer a day later and told him there was an imbalance issue right outta the box that was getting worse. He was at the Newport audio show and didn't get back to me till I reinitiated contact with him 4 days later and I have no idea when or if he contacted Devialet. Then he next responded to me yesterday saying Devialet would let him know how they will proceed today or tomorrow and he will let me know ASAP after that. Just bad timing on my part related to purchase date and the Devialet/dealer acquisition/takeover.
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
Interesting situation. Mine may not be as serious, but I think I too may have a balance issue. I've checked all the settings in the config setup, so I am certain that is not the problem. I've also changed speakers and swapped cables from side to side.

I put on a song, select balance and then stand between the speakers, with my eyes closed. I adjust the balance until it sounds centred. I do this standing between the speakers as well as farther away, and I also do it facing forward and backwards so as to account for any imbalance in my hearing. I find that I'm often in the 18% - 26% bias to the right side (facing the system). As my system is in the living room, with furniture and other tiresome niceties, I will need to move stuff around to determine if it is a room effect, rather than an electronic defect.

I haven't had much calm listening time in the last few weeks, but I hope to get some free time this weekend, and I will give it another trial. I have mentioned it to my dealer, but that was 2 months ago, and I was not certain of the situation. I know that my previous Naim systems, in exactly the same location, did not need balancing; indeed I always wondered why there was a balance control at all.

I will be interested in how this story plays out.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
Anyone tried playing a 1000 hz tone and measuring the DBs from approximately 1'/35cm. Do it one speaker at a time. A mono signal works as well. Be sure to turn one speaker off.
Synology 713+ -> Aurender N10 -> D 200 -> Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers. ClearAudio Emotion TT. Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker and Galileo (USB) Interconnects and Synergistic PowerCell UEF S - Virginia U. S. A.
(09-Jun-2015, 19:14)rwjr44 Wrote: Anyone tried playing a 1000 hz tone and measuring the DBs from approximately 1'/35cm. Do it one speaker at a time. A mono signal works as well. Be sure to turn one speaker off.

No, but I think that would really be the best test. Presumably I can download a test tone from the great beyond. The db measurement tool is not something I have, unless a handy iPhone app would do the job. Adequate sensitivity and accuracy would be needed, and I don't know if the phone is consistent enough.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
There should be no need to turn one speaker off as when you click on "balance" the Devialet defaults to mono and stays there until you click again. You can faintly hear this happen. Any balance adjustment you make is automatically done in mono otherwise some music can be deceptively biased left/right and would naturally change again soon as the song/track change. Tho IIRC I do believe that can be changed in the configurator but I happen to love this particular feature as set up & delivered by Devialet! Makes balance settings a snap to change. Its especially helpful as I've found out when balance is moving around or changing day-to-day and suspect of being a little flaky.
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
Finally heard from my dealer and he is being "forced" to turn this issue over to France for further disposition. He acknowledges the problem but says Devialet is required by law to either "repair/replace" my unit but ultimate decision will be made in France. They've asked for my phone number and promised him they'll call me within a reasonable time to try to walk me thru the configurator to sort the issue. Even tho he's told them I've tried that they believe someone on the phone speaking in broken/unintelligible english will miraculously guide me thru curing the balance issue. He also worries that Devialet knowing full well I'm in the US will require me to send my unit directly to France for repair. He's volunteered to personally reimburse me the shipping charges as he doubts they will cover them voluntarily. Additionally he's asked that if it does have to be returned to France for repair that I contact him and he will make one last plea to them for replacement rather than repair since the unit was DOA (not 'dead' but dysfunctional on arrival). At that point he concedes they'll basically do what 'they' want and that becomes the end of it. Damned uppity lot!!

I'm to call the dealer back if I haven't heard from Devialet by Thursday. Now we wait and see...
Hi,

I'm interested to know how this issue was resolved? I have suddenly got this issue on a D400 setup, I noticed it the other day and played around until 20% seemed the right level, didn't get round to looking into it anymore then I saw this thread today.

Hope's it not hardware related....
Innuos Statement, D1000 Pro CI, Shunyata Denali, Alpha v2, Delta v2 and Venom NR12 power cords, Sigma v1 speaker cables, Omega USB, PMC IB2se, Townshend Isolation Podiums.

Marantz SR7012, OPPO BDP 105D, PMC OB1s (Rears), PMC Twenty C (Centre).

South East Wales, UK
Yes, an old thread. My situation turned out to be speaker related; they simply were not well matched. That had been noted in review of that speaker. So in my case it was not related to the Devialet. Wish I could offer better help.
Damon
Vancouver, Canada