Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
DSD
(28-May-2014, 12:31)ozthepoz Wrote:
(27-May-2014, 11:06)GuillaumeB Wrote: We really value your feedback. Please let us know what you think of Devialet Chat and whether there are any improvements we can make.

Guillaume

Hi Guillaume

Firstly, thanks for setting this up. One initial thought;

It might be useful to have some input from Devialet themselves? There tends to be a lot of speculation about their plans/motives etc (the 400 vs 250 debate, for instance), so anything from the horses mouth would be good.

Looking forward to chatting with likeminded folk about Devialets!

Hi,
I can tell something, what a guy from Devialet told me at the Munich HighEnd Show. But it may also be, that this information is already known by the members of this forum.

Devialet is working on bidirectional USB connection. This will come very soon.

They are also strongly working on DSD implementation. As I understood it, this will be the next big update.

I am very interested in room correction, but I was told that there is no chance for coming soon with this feature. As I understood it, the main reason for not making a room correction is, that Devialet fears that they are asking to much from the bigger part of their customer in a technical way, handling with microphones and so on. On the one hand is this understandable but on the other hand, there are Hifi dealers out there and this is a job for them.
In my opinion, if one wants substantially better the sound, there is no other way as room correction, passive or (way better) with DSP in the amplifier. (Please no software solution in the PC or Mac, vinyl would not benefit from it!)

Let me say that the guy from Devialet was very friendly, very interested in my findings, it was a very nice conversation, that left me very satisfied with my decision for a Devialet.

Klaus
Linn LP12 Sondek + Radikal + Urika + Ekos II + EMT HSD006 - roon nucleus + SBooster - Devialet 220 Pro CI - Kef LS50 - Dspeaker Antimode 8033s II + SBooster - Kef KF92 Subwoofer

Bavaria
(28-May-2014, 14:51)beerman Wrote:
(27-May-2014, 11:06)GuillaumeB Wrote: We really value your feedback. Please let us know what you think of Devialet Chat and whether there are any improvements we can make.

Guillaume

Hi Guillaume

It might be useful to have some input from Devialet themselves? There tends to be a lot of speculation about their plans/motives etc (the 400 vs 250 debate, for instance), so anything from the horses mouth would be good.

Hi,
I can tell something, what a guy from Devialet told me at the Munich HighEnd Show. But it may also be, that this information is already known by the members of this forum.

They are also strongly working on DSD implementation. As I understood it, this will be the next big update.

I am very interested in room correction, but I was told that there is no chance for coming soon with this feature. As I understood it, the main reason for not making a room correction is, that Devialet fears that they are asking to much from the bigger part of their customer in a technical way, handling with microphones and so on. On the one hand is this understandable but on the other hand, there are Hifi dealers out there and this is a job for them.
In my opinion, if one wants substantially better the sound, there is no other way as room correction, passive or (way better) with DSP in the amplifier. (Please no software solution in the PC or Mac, vinyl would not benefit from it!)

Let me say that the guy from Devialet was very friendly, very interested in my findings, it was a very nice conversation, that left me very satisfied with my decision for a Devialet.

Klaus

Now this is the kind of information we like to hear!! I've often thought that Devialet really need to crack DSD if they want to conquer the US market. More recently I discovered that the chip used in the Devialet, the TI PCM1792 can support DSD natively therefore it's great to hear that they are actually working on this implementation! More choice to us!

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
I missed your (Beerman) post but it is indeed very informative, DSD is great news! Smile

I indeed also read on the German WMP/audio.de forum that the bi-directional USB would be added somewhere in the coming weeks already, but it may have been you who had written it there! Smile
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(28-May-2014, 16:41)Antoine Wrote: I indeed also read on the German WMP/audio.de forum that the bi-directional USB would be added somewhere in the coming weeks already, but it may have been you who had written it there! Smile

Plaease inform us what it would be a benefit with bi-directional USB? What features will be a new ones?
(28-May-2014, 18:50)moreno1973 Wrote: Please inform us what it would be a benefit with bi-directional USB? What features will be a new ones?

It will allow direct recording of vinyl to a computer, using the Devialet as a sound card.

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
(28-May-2014, 19:21)Jwg1749 Wrote:
(28-May-2014, 18:50)moreno1973 Wrote: Please inform us what it would be a benefit with bi-directional USB? What features will be a new ones?

It will allow direct recording of vinyl to a computer, using the Devialet as a sound card.

I like the sound of that! Literally!
(28-May-2014, 14:51)beerman Wrote:

Guillaume

Hi Guillaume

Hi,

Klaus

Hi Klaus,

Thanks for the info - very interesting. I absolutely share your views on room correction too.

I think you can room correct vinyl prior to devialet although a bit of a pain. You would need either a off board analogue to digital converter with lots of gain on the analogue input like a mic input - then apply RIAA and DRC filter via convolution. Or a analogue to digital phonostage off board and then apply DRC on the pc then back to devialet.

All a bit fiddly to be honest.
I think that DRC could be available for Devialet in 2015. Devialets says that They are going to make firmware update 2 times a Year. They need to give us some updates slowly;-)... this is just a marketing game and I don't blame Them. Next big update should be before Xmas in December, so I think this one will include DSD compability.
DRC would be a good idea for Munich 2015 (so May 2015). Denying is a good way to surprise people with sth very interesting. Devialet updates are full of surprises...like +30W for 170!;-)
(28-May-2014, 22:24)moreno1973 Wrote: I think that DRC could be available for Devialet in 2015. Devialets says that They are going to make firmware update 2 times a Year. They need to give us some updates slowly;-)... this is just a marketing game and I don't blame Them. Next big update should be before Xmas in December, so I think this one will include DSD compability.
DRC would be a good idea for Munich 2015 (so May 2015). Denying is a good way to surprise people with sth very interesting. Devialet updates are full of surprises...like +30W for 170!;-)

Very good points moreno1973!

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Hi,
I can tell something, what a guy from Devialet told me at the Munich HighEnd Show.

Klaus
[/quote]

Angel

From what you discussed with him, do you think that those updates will work with a D-Premier ? Dodgy