Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
DSD
(29-May-2014, 03:21)Jml2155 Wrote: Hi,
I can tell something, what a guy from Devialet told me at the Munich HighEnd Show.

They are also strongly working on DSD implementation. As I understood it, this will be the next big update.

Klaus

Angel

From what you discussed with him, do you think that those updates will work with a D-Premier ? Dodgy
[/quote]

Hi,

I didn´t ask him specially to DSD.
He told me that when asking him what will come next.
I think that those update will probably work with a D-Premier, but I don´t know for sure. Mine is a D200 and I had no reason to ask for D-Premier, sorry.
But you have a good point: How long will a device be supported, if you don´t make a hardware update!

[/quote]

Hi Klaus,

Thanks for the info - very interesting. I absolutely share your views on room correction too.

I think you can room correct vinyl prior to devialet although a bit of a pain. You would need either a off board analogue to digital converter with lots of gain on the analogue input like a mic input - then apply RIAA and DRC filter via convolution. Or a analogue to digital phonostage off board and then apply DRC on the pc then back to devialet.

All a bit fiddly to be honest.
[/quote]

Hi,

yes, that sounds fiddlySmile
At the moment I am listening to a subwoofer/sat system.
The subwoofer is corrected with a DSP. So I get rid of those room modes.
I have a relatively large room and problems are under 100 Hz.
It is a bit crazy, because in my large room I could easily put up big boxes, but it sounds far better with small boxes on stands and a corrected subwoofer.

Klaus
Linn LP12 Sondek + Radikal + Urika + Ekos II + EMT HSD006 - roon nucleus + SBooster - Devialet 220 Pro CI - Kef LS50 - Dspeaker Antimode 8033s II + SBooster - Kef KF92 Subwoofer

Bavaria
I was also at Munich and spoke with Thierry.

I cannot see them doing DRC in the near future. They cannot control the end-to-end quality in the way they do with ADH, AIR and SAM.

I'm no expert on microphones or their placements or measuring levels but, if you look at the frequency responses of those which might typically be used, for free or at modest cost, they are not great.

From what I can glean, the iPhone is 45hz to 20khz +5db -5db; and the Behringer ECM8000 (£40) extends this within the same limits to 25hz to 20khz. But if you look at a top quality microphone like the Neumann TLM-170, which is remarkably flat - 30hz to 20khz +1.5db -1.5db - that costs around £2,000.

Given that there is already kit out there which does an ok job, albeit not as elegantly as what we might expect from Devialet, I think the possibility of a Devialet development here is below 50:50.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
'Handling with microphones'? What a bullshit!
Only lame excuses for a promissed(!) feature that is not going to come.
As this thread is mainly about DSD I created a new topic here: http://devialetchat.com/Thread-Convolver-in-the-DSP to describe my contact with Devialet re: DRC
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
DSD would be a nice upgrade, though I'd rather have the bi-directional USB.
Devialet 200 <> Bowers & Wilkins 805 Diamond <> Aurender N100 <> Clearaudio Concept MC <> Audioquest Rocket 44/Coffee USB

The Netherlands
(29-May-2014, 21:27)Nightmare Wrote: 'Handling with microphones'? What a bullshit!
Only lame excuses for a promissed(!) feature that is not going to come.

I do not think they ever promised room correction. There was a hint about SAM which some people interpreted as if room correction was going to be added.
I think it is entirely people jumping to false conclusions based on early discussions before any company policy had been decided.
FWIW I have experimented with a DSPeaker 2.0 and actually prefer the sound without. This -could- be because the unit re-samples all digital files from their native resolution to 48kHz before outputting them but I felt that the slight loss of transparency that I hear in mid and treble was too big a sacrifice for a more even bass, which I believe our brains compensate for pretty quickly anyway.
Don't get me wrong, I hate boomy bass, but room effects on sound are something which we subconsciously correct for all the time, after all there is no room correction on our piano or cello and they sound completely natural in here.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Not sure if it qualifies as 'a promise' but the room correction functionality has been mentioned several times by Devialet on their website, in personal emails to owners and in brochures (e.g. http://davidmichaelaudio.com/wp-content/...ialet1.pdf)

I also own the DSpeaker Anti Mode Dual Core 2.0 but it is connected between my active sub and to the sub out of the Devialet. It only 'corrects' the bass <80Hz in my situation as I have setup a high pass filter in the Devialet. I myself would never use it, or any other, DSP device full range in a direct the signal path except maybe at the source like a music server. To be honest I was really waiting for Devialet to implement the functionality so I could get rid of another 'box'.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Any news on the DSD upgrade? Apparently this is not a difficult thing to do. I had my dCS Debussy upgraded via firmware and it was seamless. It took a long long time after their announcement since dCS was one of the firsts to implement DoP, and their quality control was superb, way up there with Devialet.
(09-Jul-2014, 03:51)agentsmith Wrote: Any news on the DSD upgrade? Apparently this is not a difficult thing to do. I had my dCS Debussy upgraded via firmware and it was seamless. It took a long long time after their announcement since dCS was one of the firsts to implement DoP, and their quality control was superb, way up there with Devialet.

I doubt that if done properly, the integration of the dsd bitstream is an easy thing to do. Not because of the DAC integration but if they would like to do it right they need to adapt all their DSP (SAM etc) algorithms from PCM to bitstream. otherwise it would be just an dsd to PCM codec in front the dac not using its native mode.
Bricasti M1 SE DAC -> Pass labs XP30 & XP25 phono -> Bryston B28sst2 -> Sonus Faber Amati Futura  -> JRiver MC 21 -> Synology NAS / Quboz  - Denon DP 7000 SME 5012
D1000pro -> Magico V2 -> Fanless NUC i5 (Broadwell) -> Jriver MC 21/ Bauer DPS3i / Lyra Kleos
(09-Jul-2014, 10:10)Mka Wrote:
(09-Jul-2014, 03:51)agentsmith Wrote: Any news on the DSD upgrade? Apparently this is not a difficult thing to do. I had my dCS Debussy upgraded via firmware and it was seamless. It took a long long time after their announcement since dCS was one of the firsts to implement DoP, and their quality control was superb, way up there with Devialet.

I doubt that if done properly, the integration of the dsd bitstream is an easy thing to do. Not because of the DAC integration but if they would like to do it right they need to adapt all their DSP (SAM etc) algorithms from PCM to bitstream. otherwise it would be just an dsd to PCM codec in front the dac not using its native mode.

If I understand it correctly no manipulation of DSD is possible in the digital domain, so if SAM is used the data will have to be converted to PCM anyway for the computation to be done.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire