Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Devialet MAX temperature!
(15-Jul-2014, 10:20)Rufus McDufus Wrote: This subject is very relevant to me at the moment!
I find around this time of year - i.e summer - that the sound of my system degrades, and often badly, to the point where I think it is broken. It's been the case before I had my Devialet, when I previously had Linn gear. I've been thinking perhaps it's to do with the drier earth and the electrical earth not working so well, but I can measure earth impedance now and it's not showing any degradation. The problem is worse if I leave gear running, perhaps trying to 'run something in' over a period of several days. It always sounds terrible after being on so long even though the indicated temperature on the Devialet is not getting above about 50C, which is low by the standards of what other people are seeing here. What I find is that by turning the gear off for an hour or so, or even better removing the power cord as well, it immediately sounds good again on turn-on.
What seems to be happening is, despite reasonable indicated temperatures, some part of the amp is suffering with excess heat. I have sufficient space around the amp though it is on a fairly enclosed shelf on my Hutter rack. I order some higher Hutter connectors to give more headroom over the amp. I might even try some cheapo heatsinks on the top of the amp! I guess it doesn't seem to get very good airflow, despite windows being open and the house not exactly sweltering.
When I see pictures of twin Devialet units stacked I wonder if excessive temperature could be a big issue with that arrangement?

Hi Rufus - very interesting. I've been listening to music for the last 3 hours and it all sounds dull and lifeless. No sparkle at all. It's sweltering over here, the amps are running at 44 and 46 degrees, so fairly low in the scheme of things. Ah well, time to apply the beer upgrade and see if thing change ...

ATB, Ken
Auralic Aries G2 > Kii Control > Kii Audio 3 BXT
Try turning it off and on again! (after giving it a chance to cool of course!).
I find it sounds like it's at the bottom of a well when it's not performing that well (due to heat?). It just seems distant and almost like it's in a different room.

I'm doing an experiment at the moment - I bought a couple of cheap heatsinks off eBay, nearly enough to cover the whole top of the unit. The Dev 200 is flat on the top which helps so the make good contact, unlike the 250 I think?
Anyhow, I haven't seen the temperature rise above 46C now, and the power supply is a degree or two hotter than the class A section, which usually isn't the case with no heatsinks. It's sounding pretty good... No idea if it's the heatsinks helping though, but the top of the heatsinks are pretty warm.
(25-Jul-2014, 18:55)Rufus McDufus Wrote: Try turning it off and on again! (after giving it a chance to cool of course!).
I find it sounds like it's at the bottom of a well when it's not performing that well (due to heat?). It just seems distant and almost like it's in a different room.

I'm doing an experiment at the moment - I bought a couple of cheap heatsinks off eBay, nearly enough to cover the whole top of the unit. The Dev 200 is flat on the top which helps so the make good contact, unlike the 250 I think?
Anyhow, I haven't seen the temperature rise above 46C now, and the power supply is a degree or two hotter than the class A section, which usually isn't the case with no heatsinks. It's sounding pretty good... No idea if it's the heatsinks helping though, but the top of the heatsinks are pretty warm.

Thanks Rufus - tried this, and it seems to have worked! Couldn't possibly be the 5 bottles of Becks and 2 glasses of wine I've had, of course .....

ATB, Ken
You put the cold bottles of Becks on top of the Devialet I take it? Wink
(25-Jul-2014, 19:12)Rufus McDufus Wrote: You put the cold bottles of Becks on top of the Devialet I take it? Wink

Good upgradeTongue
It has been very hot here the last few days.
I checked the temps and they are close to what they usually are and the lower unit is no hotter than the upper.
FWIW.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(25-Jul-2014, 17:37)ZincAlloy Wrote:
(15-Jul-2014, 10:20)Rufus McDufus Wrote: This subject is very relevant to me at the moment!
I find around this time of year - i.e summer - that the sound of my system degrades, and often badly, to the point where I think it is broken. It's been the case before I had my Devialet, when I previously had Linn gear. I've been thinking perhaps it's to do with the drier earth and the electrical earth not working so well, but I can measure earth impedance now and it's not showing any degradation. The problem is worse if I leave gear running, perhaps trying to 'run something in' over a period of several days. It always sounds terrible after being on so long even though the indicated temperature on the Devialet is not getting above about 50C, which is low by the standards of what other people are seeing here. What I find is that by turning the gear off for an hour or so, or even better removing the power cord as well, it immediately sounds good again on turn-on.
What seems to be happening is, despite reasonable indicated temperatures, some part of the amp is suffering with excess heat. I have sufficient space around the amp though it is on a fairly enclosed shelf on my Hutter rack. I order some higher Hutter connectors to give more headroom over the amp. I might even try some cheapo heatsinks on the top of the amp! I guess it doesn't seem to get very good airflow, despite windows being open and the house not exactly sweltering.
When I see pictures of twin Devialet units stacked I wonder if excessive temperature could be a big issue with that arrangement?

Hi Rufus - very interesting. I've been listening to music for the last 3 hours and it all sounds dull and lifeless. No sparkle at all. It's sweltering over here, the amps are running at 44 and 46 degrees, so fairly low in the scheme of things. Ah well, time to apply the beer upgrade and see if thing change ...

ATB, Ken

Could it be that the heat is affecting the source, or your speakers perhaps? If your amps are at the mid 40s then the problem might be somewhere else?
Devialet 1000 Pro. Martin Logan Montis, Michell Gyrodec, Melco N1ZH, Mutec MC3+ USB
Could be affecting them too but it definitely seems to help if I let the Devialet cool off for half an hour or so. Mine's worse if I leave it running for many hours, e.g running something in. Typical short-ish listening sessions are fine.
Never tried this before, but it's a very, very hot day here today, been listening for about three hours, SAM is enabled, presumably demanding lots of warming current to do it's stuff. The result 56 deg. Ouch! Sounds fine though.
Could temperature affect the 200 (and 120?) more than the 250 I wonder? I saw mention on another thread that the 200 & 250 were identical except for thermal management (including case I guess).