Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What album are you listening tonight?
(20-Jan-2017, 04:07)Axel Wrote:
(19-Jan-2017, 21:51)Bruno Wrote: Thanks to the good people posting on this thread, I've been listening tonight to :
- Sorceress by Opeth : and it's a nice f***g "prog boogie" ! It could be interesting though to read some comments by Steven Wilson about the choices he made for the production pf thos album.

- Morph The Cat by Donald Fagen which had been going unnoticed to me until it was mentioned here : the follow-up to The Nightfly I was waiting for.

Finally a personal pick : We Insist, The Freedom Suite by Max Roach (it's definitely not easy listening music) which is to political consciousness what A Love Supreme by Coltrane is to spirituality.

A 12 year old Yamakazi is on the side next to the dev remote...

Actually, the follow-up to The Nightfly is Kamakiriad, another great album from DF.

Indeed but in my opinion Kamakiriad isn't by far as good as the Nightfly or Morph The Cat : that's the reason why I made the shortcut and wrote "follow up". No offense taken btw.
Bruno

Auralic Aries g2.1 / Chord Qutest / CLEARAUDIO Blackmotion - cartridge Clearaudio Virtuoso V2 mm/  /Gryphon Diablo 300 / Blue jeans cable / Apertura Edena Evolution
Something for Classical music fans:

Tchaikovsky Symphony No 4 Leningrad Philharmonic Orchestra Mravinsky (DG - recorded 1960)
Tchaikovsky Symphony No 4 Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra Petrenko (Onyx - 2017)

The first one is considered a "classic" performance.  The Petrenko is pretty good too.

Both of these sounding better than ever through my recently upgraded D220 pro (upgraded from a D120 - a huge improvement in SQ - far better than I expected)
Japan "Tin Drum"

[Image: 7101093.jpg]

Still sounds as fresh and special to me as it did 36 (almost unbelievable!) years ago.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Japan! Oh wow, you kill me.  One of my favorite groups of all time. Tin Drum was the breakthrough Japan album for me; it took me a while to 'get it' but then I was totally hooked. Japan and Mick Karn drove me to spend much money and time on fretless basses, though I think that I fell a bit short of Mr. Karn's remarkable skill and vision.

You've motivated me to pull out an old flimsy vinyl pressing of Quiet Life, pressed into paper-thin plastic in 1979.

It is a bit disconcerting that it is 36 years old.... so unbelievable is the distressingly correct term. For anyone who listens to Tin Drum and wants to explore further, I can recommend:

Dali's Car, The Waking Hour- Mick Karn and Peter Murphy (wonderful cover art by Maxfield Parish)
as well as David Sylvian's solo albums and Mick's solo efforts as well.

Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
Hello Damon - glad you enjoyed a dose of nostalgia!

Japan was one of the bands I was listening to around 1980 that really inspired me to start playing bass, the others being Gang Of Four and Echo And The Bunnymen. I still listen to Japan and Gang Of Four a lot (Bunnymen not so much).

Along with "Quiet Life", "Assemblage" is another great Japan album; I think it's a collection of earlier stuff including some really good singles and covers. The bass lines on "European Son" and "All Tomorrow's Parties" are just lovely.
Warwickshire, UK
Marilyn Mazur, Percussion; Aina Kemanis, Voice; Hans Ulrik, Saxophones; Nils Petter Molvaer, Trumpet; Eivind Aarset, Guitar; Elvira Plenar, Piano, Keyboards; Klavs Hovman, Basses; Audun Kleive, Drums

Small Labyrinths

An older (1997) ECM album of Marilyn. Great music and high quality recording. I like her percussive background as a memory of my own percussionist past.

Qobuz download.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

9Bach Anian
Welsh alternative folk, great recording of Society of Sound and Real World Records.
The album incorporates Greek and Middle Eastern musical influences.
Let"s me flow away.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

iMac Core i9, Roon lifetime, Qobuz Sublime+, OPPO BDP-103EU, Kanex Pro HDMI Audio Extractor, Dual CS 617Q, Devialet 220 PRO Core Infinity, Bowers&Wilkins 804 D2, Oppo HA2, Sennheiser HD 800S, Living Room, Enjoy Listening, Germany
Grant Lee Buffalo "Jubilee"

[Image: Jubilee_(Grant_Lee_Buffalo_album).jpg]

Americana/rock.
Warwickshire, UK
Kings of Convenience – Riot on an Empty Street, and
– Declaration of Dependence

Mostly two guys, their guitars and voices. Beautiful, quiet music, but not necessarily music to get you to sleep at all. Particularly RoaES has a lot more variation and a couple of them can make swing and enjoy. Through Tidal.

The Smiths – Strangeways here we come. One of the first CDs I actually owned, brought for me by my parents after asking a guy at record store in Santiago, Chile, "hey, what's the best of the latest new records?" Great choice by that anonimous benefactor of humanity. I was 13 or 14, like nothing I had heard before that. Still love it as the first day.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: GarbageSTinternational.png]
Garbage 20th anniversary reissue on vinyl at 45rpm.
Alternative Rock
Devialet 200 <> Bowers & Wilkins 805 Diamond <> Aurender N100 <> Clearaudio Concept MC <> Audioquest Rocket 44/Coffee USB

The Netherlands