Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
120 or 220/240 Volt Mains
Here in North America our normal mains power is 120V & 60hz.  I built a dedicated listening room with the ability for an electrician to switch each outlet to 240V at the panel box.

Devialet support says the amps are good for between 80V and 265V with the supplied 6.3A 250V fuse.  According to them, this fuse is universal for the entire expert line worldwide

Any experience or thoughts on whether running my D400s at 240V vs the current 120V would provide any sonic benefits?

Thanks

Kerry
Laufer Teknik Memory Player - Atlas Mavros S/PDIF x 2 - Mutec MC-3+ USB Reclocker - Sablon Panatella BNC-SPDIF Digital Cable - LampizatOr Big 7 Tube DAC
Ayre Acoustics AX5-Twenty Amplifier - Rockport Technologies Cygnus Loudspeakers - Rel Gibralter G1 Six Pack Subs - Siltech Princess XLR - Ear to Ear Cables and PCs - Canada
Probably not many people get the opportunity to test so it will be interesting to hear the results! I guess some power regenerators are capable of switching output voltages?
from an electricians thoughts:

when using 240v compared to 120v the current draw would be halved and the frequency is slightly less.

in my mind this would mean that there is less EMI going on inside because of the lower current draw.
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)
(15-Jun-2015, 00:23)completeluxury Wrote: from an electricians thoughts:

when using 240v compared to 120v the current draw would be halved and the frequency is slightly less.

in my mind this would mean that there is less EMI going on inside because of the lower current draw.

I did not know that the frequency is reduced between 120 and 240v.  How much reduction can one expect?

Kerry
Laufer Teknik Memory Player - Atlas Mavros S/PDIF x 2 - Mutec MC-3+ USB Reclocker - Sablon Panatella BNC-SPDIF Digital Cable - LampizatOr Big 7 Tube DAC
Ayre Acoustics AX5-Twenty Amplifier - Rockport Technologies Cygnus Loudspeakers - Rel Gibralter G1 Six Pack Subs - Siltech Princess XLR - Ear to Ear Cables and PCs - Canada
I believe that 120v is 60 cycles, and 240 comes through at 50. Note, however, that I am not an electrician. I think electricity is like magic; unpredictable and impossible to understand.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(15-Jun-2015, 21:01)Damon Wrote: I believe that 120v is 60 cycles, and 240 comes through at 50. Note, however, that I am not an electrician. I think electricity is like magic; unpredictable and impossible to understand.

This would be the opinion of most of the population!

And someone mentioned the correct answer: US use 60hz and everyone else is 50hz
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)
(16-Jun-2015, 00:11)completeluxury Wrote:
(15-Jun-2015, 21:01)Damon Wrote: I believe that 120v is 60 cycles, and 240 comes through at 50. Note, however, that I am not an electrician. I think electricity is like magic; unpredictable and impossible to understand.

This would be the opinion of most of the population!

And someone mentioned the correct answer: US use 60hz and everyone else is 50hz

Does that mean that frequency in North America is 60hz regardless if it is wired for 120 or 240v?
MusicFirst:

to be completely honest im not sure. i live in australia and we dont have the capability to switch between voltages like you seem to. Is this something that most homes are able to do or is it a bit rarer?

I would guess that its a simple step up transformer which would mean that the frequency would stay at 60hz but to be honest unless i could look up a part number of the item you have that does the transforming i cant tell you. can you give me a brand/model number and i can find out quite easily for you.

edit - just did some quick reading and it would seem that regardless of the voltage you will have 60hz on that circuit.
Completeluxury,

No, we can't switch voltages. I think that MusicFirst has had some custom wiring done to allow the outlets in his listening room to be either 120 or 240 volts. That is specialized work, and not at all standard. But, I believe the wiring into our houses comes as 240, but is split into two, 120 V feeds. The regular house wiring is 120 but we have a few circuits that are set to 220 - 240V; these are for electric ovens (cookers), some washing machines, and some electric heating systems.

But you are correct; we would be at 60 hz regardless of voltage. Again, its all magic to me.

Given that I can't tell an electron from an electric toaster oven, I should not even be part of this discussion. However, knowing nothing allows me to have a strong opinion, unencumbered by facts. I do, however, test 9 volt batteries by the tongue-on-the-termials method..... seems a reliable enough method for batteries, and I am just savvy enough not to try the same method on the wall sockets.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(16-Jun-2015, 05:34)Damon Wrote: I do, however, test 9 volt batteries by the tongue-on-the-termials method..... seems a reliable enough method for batteries, and I am just savvy enough not to try the same method on the wall sockets.

Who has time to go get a multimeter when the tongue is always readily available?