Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Connection for Surround Sound, Multiple Inputs?
Exclamation 
Good Day!

I'm expecting 2 Phantoms and the Dialog to come in within the next couple of weeks and have a couple of questions that I can't figure out from research on the internet...

Right now, I've got the 'traditional' setup of A/V amp; various input to the amp (cable, apple tv, sony playstation, etc...) - all with HDMI inputs, with output to the 5.1 surround sound and hdmi to the 4k tv.

I'd like (love) to replace my front left/right speakers with the Phantoms... 

Is this possible?

I only see an ethernet connection and Toslink connection.

thoughts?

thanks
(14-Jun-2015, 12:24)brantrocky Wrote: Good Day!

I'm expecting 2 Phantoms and the Dialog to come in within the next couple of weeks and have a couple of questions that I can't figure out from research on the internet...

Right now, I've got the 'traditional' setup of A/V amp; various input to the amp (cable, apple tv, sony playstation, etc...) - all with HDMI inputs, with output to the 5.1 surround sound and hdmi to the 4k tv.

I'd like (love) to replace my front left/right speakers with the Phantoms... 

Is this possible?

I only see an ethernet connection and Toslink connection.

thoughts?

thanks

Yes, it is possible using the Dialog/Phantom Toslink connection (assuming your A/V has a similar connection) but you will encounter an issue of audio latency between the Phantoms and your other speakers if selecting audio modes other than two channel. I think this has been measured at around 200ms and will likely make watching and listening unbearable.
If the 200mS delay could be resolved, I wonder how the Dialog box would handle a multichannel surround SPFIF signal from the AV receiver. Would a 5.1/7.1 digital surround output as stereo or play surround front left/right?

I await Deviates updates that will sort out and make perfect the whole surround sound playback experience.
Wink
I fear that Devialet's forthcoming multichannel solution is going to demand at least FOUR Phantoms! I am hoping against hope that they will integrate it to allow us to allocate rear channels to our Expert Line amps.
Until then, the only viable Surround setup is to re-digitize the front analogue outputs of your AV receiver and send them out to the Phantoms via Toslink... whilst shifting the source Audio stream ahead by 200ms so that it emerges from the Phantoms in sync with the picture!
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
(15-Jun-2015, 13:31)JohnnySix Wrote: I fear that Devialet's forthcoming multichannel solution is going to demand at least FOUR Phantoms! I am hoping against hope that they will integrate it to allow us to allocate rear channels to our Expert Line amps.
Until then, the only viable Surround setup is to re-digitize the front analogue outputs of your AV receiver and send them out to the Phantoms via Toslink... whilst shifting the source Audio stream ahead by 200ms so that it emerges from the Phantoms in sync with the picture!

agree; with the limited 'required' performance of surround speakers (except the fronts & center), I think they should come up with a high-performance, wireless powered speaker around $500.  I think it would be a  huge success for surround sound integration for them (and us).
(15-Jun-2015, 13:31)JohnnySix Wrote: I fear that Devialet's forthcoming multichannel solution is going to demand at least FOUR Phantoms!
That Would be great! Could you share your source with us?

To respond to the TS: the only viable option to include multiple phantoms in a surround setup would be to drive them all in mono with a processor providing multiple spdifs outputs (à la meridian hd621)
As for the 200ms, that's not really a problem if you're using a modern mediaplayer app like kodi.

+ a lot of hdmi/video processing performed by your TV or projector can slow down your video by >200ms...
It would be great if someone could develop a surround processor with full digital passthrouh with UTP cable, however at the moment it is wishfull thinking...
I guess this is probably old news but Devialet did confirm yesterday at a training event that they are working on updating Dialog and Phantom to decode DTS and DD to offer a 5.0 setup, I guess even 7.0 will be possible, that would be a pretty serious wireless movie system I have to say.
(16-Jun-2015, 20:09)Paul @ HiFi Lounge Wrote: I guess this is probably old news but Devialet did confirm yesterday at a training event that they are working on updating Dialog and Phantom to decode DTS and DD to offer a 5.0 setup, I guess even 7.0 will be possible, that would be a pretty serious wireless movie system I have to say.

Only DTS and DD? What about DTS-HD Master and DolbyHD?