Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
G-Vialet's System and Hello
Smile 
Hijacking the “Your System” forum to also introduce myself 

Good Day Everyone,

I’ve been visiting this forum for some time and finally I decided to sign up, since it’s a very mature and friendly forum where everyone is really gentle and taking the time to post in proper grammar and orthography which I really appreciate Smile

Now, my system…
I got a D 120 last November, only a couple of weeks after I got new speakers. I wanted something new, something smart and more sophisticated, less devices and cables, so I decided to get rid of the surround system, since I wasn’t watching movies anymore, rather listening music. I will post a photo when the new furniture is here.

Initially, I only budgeted for new speakers. By Christmas 2014, everything was replaced, the old equipment was sold and the Sonos got an upgrade. Only kept the good old 1200 MKII for historical reasons, which might get some tuning and a new system next winter.

When the new speakers and the D 120 were in place, the sound was not what I expected and what it sounded like at the dealership. It was kind of harsh and thin, undefined and bodiless bass. So I consulted my dealer and they gave me a set of Shunyata and Ortofon speaker cables. Always thought this is just voodoo when reading all these articles about cables and how they can change the sound.

The day I swapped the cables and did A/B/C tests was big a Wow! Being able to hear differences just between speaker cables was a great demonstration of the outstanding quality the setup delivers. The speakers are a bit on the analytical side with pretty deep and quick bass, revealing bad recordings after playing only a few beats, so the good old Ortofon 7.8N was a perfect match for my ears by adding some "warmth".

With great interest I am following your experiences about the FW upgrades. To my ears FW8.0 didn’t sound really charming, used 7.1 from day 1 and never bothered to upgrade to 7.1.3.

When I got back home from a longer business trip in March, I powered up the system and just started internet radio via the Sonos real quick and I was like what is going on here? Is this the same system? This is just internet radio!? Wow and yeah! It sounded three dimensional, presenting a huge stage, super clear, yet easy and pleasant. Since a few days FW7.1.3 is running, 8.0 was not my cup of tea. Maybe it’s just voodoo because I want to believe, but I can confirm what others are reporting. For now, I stick to 7.1.3 since I don’t need the new features of 8.1.

Cheers and Have a great Sunday!
G-Vialet
Bauer LS 3.0 - Ortofon 7.8N SPK - Octave RE320 - 220 Pro - DH Labs D-110 - Mutec MC-3+ USB - ROON ROCK NUC - Sbooster MKII - Technics 1200 MK2 w/ Quintet Blue
Welcome G-Vialet to the forum and glad to have you here with us.

I will be looking forward to seeing some shots of your system.
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
(14-Jun-2015, 16:46)amabrok Wrote: Welcome G-Vialet to the forum and glad to have you here with us.

Thanks a lot amabrok!
Photos will take some time, the design of the new furniture has just been finalized, order is placed, now waiting to get it.

While listening some more with FW7.1.3, I now understand why this is a very popular FW here. Stressless, very balanced sound, especially the mids and voices. I think I will keep it for a while and maybe try 8.1 sometime later. Rather enjoy listening than probing Sleepy
Bauer LS 3.0 - Ortofon 7.8N SPK - Octave RE320 - 220 Pro - DH Labs D-110 - Mutec MC-3+ USB - ROON ROCK NUC - Sbooster MKII - Technics 1200 MK2 w/ Quintet Blue
(14-Jun-2015, 22:32)G-Vialet Wrote:
(14-Jun-2015, 16:46)amabrok Wrote: Welcome G-Vialet to the forum and glad to have you here with us.

Thanks a lot amabrok!
Photos will take some time, the design of the new furniture has just been finalized, order is placed, now waiting to get it.

While listening some more with FW7.1.3, I now understand why this is a very popular FW here. Stressless, very balanced sound, especially the mids and voices. I think I will keep it for a while and maybe try 8.1 sometime later. Rather enjoy listening than probing Sleepy

Same here. I'm still sticking to 7.1.3 and did not want to even try FW 8.0 or 8.1 so much 7.1.3 is excellent in my system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
(16-Jun-2015, 21:08)amabrok Wrote:
(14-Jun-2015, 22:32)G-Vialet Wrote:

Thanks a lot amabrok!

Same here.  I'm still sticking to 7.1.3 and did not want to even try FW 8.0 or 8.1 so much 7.1.3 is excellent in my system

Hello Again,

I am not posting a lot, but I enjoy reading here, so I think I really owe this fine community a photo of my humble stereo system. The setup is listed in the signature, nothing special, clean and simple I think. Going to see my dealer this week to pimp the Technics 1200 which I bought as a teenager. I am not really listening to records, at least not yet, but it absolutely deserves a little upgrade with a decent new system. Recommendations are very welcome Smile

Cheers

(01-Feb-2016, 22:14)G-Vialet Wrote:
(16-Jun-2015, 21:08)amabrok Wrote:
(14-Jun-2015, 22:32)G-Vialet Wrote: Thanks a lot amabrok!

Same here.  I'm still sticking to 7.1.3 and did not want to even try FW 8.0 or 8.1 so much 7.1.3 is excellent in my system

Hello Again,

I am not posting a lot, but I enjoy reading here, so I think I really owe this fine community a photo of my humble stereo system. The setup is listed in the signature, nothing special, clean and simple I think. Going to see my dealer this week to pimp the Technics 1200 which I bought as a teenager. I am not really listening to records, at least not yet, but it absolutely deserves a little upgrade with a decent new system. Recommendations are very welcome Smile

Cheers

Oh I forgot, since the FW was mentioned above, now running 9.0.1 and I quite like it. No issues with the config from the previous FW or the SAM profile.