Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mains power and conditioning
Hello all,

I have experienced a loss of dynamics with certain power distributors when connecting amplifiers with switch mode power supplies. It seems to me that the power distributors are restraining the flow of current not being "fast" enough.

Best regards
BjornWiman
- Proud Devialet owner since 2011!

Main system:
Devialet D250 Pro, Magico Q3 speakers, Shunyata Anaconda speaker cables, Shunyata Sigma HC power cable/Shunyata Cyklops V2 power conditioner/Shunyata Digital power cable, Shunyata DF-SS cable lifters, Jenving CAT8+ Ethernet cables, Auralic Aries Mini with SBoost power supply, Shunyata Venom USB.

Working at Akkelis Audio in Gothenburg, Sweden
(12-Jul-2014, 23:21)BjornWiman Wrote: Hello all,

I have experienced a loss of dynamics with certain power distributors when connecting amplifiers with switch mode power supplies. It seems to me that the power distributors are restraining the flow of current not being "fast" enough.

Best regards
BjornWiman
I think "a loss of dynamics" sums up very nicely what I remember hearing. So what we need is something that can clear up any mains issues, without invoking any power / current restrictions that take anything away in terms of dynamics or anything else. Any ideas out there as to what might do the job?
A regular reviewer of Devialet, Paul Miller of HFN, who probably measures more things than anyone else in the UK, uses a PS Audio PPP with his Devialet.

I don't understand all his measurements but they are all published open access on his website.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
I tried PS Audio P5 and it really cleans up things, but looses some dynamics or "smoothen" the music. Some might like this, but if you listen to a lot of rock (ac/dc), some of the power gets lost.
I found Transparent Audio powerisolator (mm2 or referance) better on dynamics, but the P5 multiwave make music shine. In the end you lose some and wins some...
Naim nac-n 272, Naim nap-300, PMC Fact 12, Audience AU24SE power cables, Oppo BDP-103D
I used PS Audio p10 and tried Synergistic Research with Devialet.

With a single Devialet 250, P10 was a very good addition, Synergistic messed up with many things.

When I moved to 2 units, especially with the new firmware, I hated the dynamic loss so I took the P10 out.

Now I have a Torus Power 16 amp isolation transformer with very good results.

And in my experience, careful power cable selection, not necessarily expensive, is very crucial for amp performance.

Cheers
Kii Three, dCS Network Bridge, Roon Nucleus, Kuzma (Stabi S, 4Point), Soundsmith StrainGauge, Stromtank, Echole Cables 
Istanbul, Turkey
Agree, after going to software 7.x, PS Audio P5 changed for the worse...
Naim nac-n 272, Naim nap-300, PMC Fact 12, Audience AU24SE power cables, Oppo BDP-103D
Does anyone have experience parallel fliters? The type of filters that you plug into a power socket and which suppresses higher harmonics. They are made by for example Nordost or Kemp Electroniks.
I tested Nordost Qv2 for a day, couldn't hear any difference
(15-Jul-2014, 14:34)PeterS Wrote: Does anyone have experience parallel fliters? The type of filters that you plug into a power socket and which suppresses higher harmonics. They are made by for example Nordost or Kemp Electroniks.

I have some Blue Circle Audio Sillycone passive filters (http://www.bluecircle.com/page26.html) that plug in alongside the plug of the device you want filtering. They're like the Kemp or Russ Andrew wall-wart ones but on steroids and full of large capacitors. They look a bit like pipe bombs, and took a suspiciously long time shipping from Canada possibly due to this. They kill any measured noise coming back from the Devialet onto the mains dead. Having said that I can't really hear any difference! I do have the Devialet on a different mains circuit though so perhaps that's enough anyway.
I've got an Entreq CleanUs which also plugs in in parallel. This filters the neutral and earth and does seem to enhance things.

I don't really trust inline filtering even though they filter more types of noise (common mode in addition to differential mode). The reason for this is I've not heard one yet that made a positive difference, though I'm sure there are some. It also depends on your electricity supply and I don't think I really have many noise issues anyway.
Hi,

Moving to our new home and I am getting close to thinking about what dedicated spur and cable to install. Any suggestions for the mains cable? The spur will be one from Klangmodul. All suggestions and experiences from you will be greatly appreciated.

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK