Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Room Correction SW with JRiver
(14-Jun-2015, 20:27)baconbrain Wrote: I am wanting to jump into the room correction pool and am looking for a software which works well together with JRiver but am honestly overwelhmed by the amount of information available...  Huh

Hopefully there is a fellow Devialetaner who could give me a few tips and point me in the direction of the shallow end?  Blush

Any assistance would be appreciated!

I've been using filters from Audiolense with JRiver for a long time. The convolver in MC is easy to use as long as it is stereo.(It is actually just as easy with mch, just a bit more fiddly the first times. I do not have a mch setup.) I just point the convolver to the stereo wav file created by Audiolense. This can be 32bit or 64bit, JRMC handles sample rate switching.
In my setup I've had trouble with JRiver stability. It is probably more related to drivers (USB) than JRiver, but I got crashes too often. Then last year JRiver enabled full use of the DSP engine with MC's DLNA server. I use this with either upmpdcli/MPD which is Linux or JPlaystreamer/JPlay. For upmpdcli/MPD I use JRemote, for JPlaystreamer BubbleUPnP - both Android.
If your JRiver installation is stable, just play directly as described by completeluxury. Maybe you are one of of the lucky few with no AIR white noise. In that case you can probably play via AIR.
I have no experience with Acourate, but I believe it is just as easy to use with JRiver. Maybe even easier if you use AcourateConvolver. The real work is to create good sounding filters. The learning curve can be steep! Going directly with Acourate is a good idea. Audiolense is very good and may be a little easier to use, but Acourate is more advanced and flexible and I see that people who know both often prefer Acourate for sound quality.
My current playback chain is JRiver->Intel NUC->USB->UpTone Regen->Devialet 250. For measurements I use Sound Devices USBPre2 and a calibrated Dayton EMM-6 microphone
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Everyone,

Thanks for all the helpful info.

Based upon your comments and some speedy and courteous info from the product owner/developer(?) Uli, I have decided to give Acourate a try. Initially I will do the first measurements with the minidsp usb micro and internal sound card in the Mac Mini (running Win 8.1 via bootcamp). Not that I feel an external Soundcard does not have its merits, but I really don't want to add another box to my overall setup.

Please let me know if there are any holes in the above and once again, thx for the feedback.
Kii Three Speakers | JL Audio Fathom Subwoofer  | KEF LS50 Speakers | Samsung 850 Soundbar
Innuos Statement | Trinnov Altitude 32 | PS Audio Stellar S300 Amp | T+A HA 200 Headphone Amplifier | Meze Empyrean Headphones
Sean Jacobs DC-3 Custom Build LPS | Roon Core DIY Server | SOtM sNH-10G Modded Switch | Oppo UDP-205 Blu-Ray/SACD Player
T+A G 2000 R Turntable | DS Audio E1 Optical Stylus | Gordian Lab 12 Power Conditioner | Artesania Audio Rack
baconbrain dont forget if you really want to check it out acourate will convolve 2 songs of your choice for free.

you take your room measurements with his logsweep recorder, send that to him and then he applies filters to the songs and sends them back so you can see what the difference in sound is like.

personally i didnt do it as i was going down the room correction path anyway but if you did want to test the option is available.
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)
baconbrain have you run your trial yet?

i finally got my convolution up and running on my computer and initial impressions are extremely good.

everything seems tighter and better defined. my room is not ideal to say the least.. 1 side has an opening going to the hallway, the other side of my room is completely open as its open plan living room/kitchen/dining. ive got a fairly good match on my speakers now i believe!

i want to wait to invite one of my friends over that also has a good hifi setup to see what his impressions are as well.
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)
Thanks for the update.

My listening environment is also sub-optimal, so it is good to hear that your first impressions are positive.

I want to make a couple of changes to my listening room before I start, so it will probably be a couple of weeks before a really seriously get into it. Will post my first results and probably come back with some more pestering questions ... Wink
Kii Three Speakers | JL Audio Fathom Subwoofer  | KEF LS50 Speakers | Samsung 850 Soundbar
Innuos Statement | Trinnov Altitude 32 | PS Audio Stellar S300 Amp | T+A HA 200 Headphone Amplifier | Meze Empyrean Headphones
Sean Jacobs DC-3 Custom Build LPS | Roon Core DIY Server | SOtM sNH-10G Modded Switch | Oppo UDP-205 Blu-Ray/SACD Player
T+A G 2000 R Turntable | DS Audio E1 Optical Stylus | Gordian Lab 12 Power Conditioner | Artesania Audio Rack
ive still got a long way to go with playing around with different filters.. but the program is set up to be so easy to use i was expecting it to be much more involved... its just all about getting the few things you need to do right!

ive probably got another couple hours of playing around to do before im happy.
I don't like full JRiver Convolution, I find it makes my ear feel uncomfortable - like too much phase fiddling is going on. I prefer to identify & isolate the key humps & bumps in the room using microphone analysis, and then whittle it down to <=3 Q-curve adjustments.
I have found my Phantoms to be far more flat above the bass range than my £1K floorstanders, and any EQ adjustments are largely due to my room.
Incidentally, I only use the cheapskate solution of Umik-1 microphone and free REW software.
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
in acourate you get the microphone analysis and then design which parts of the spectrum you want the filtering to be done on, so you can make it miss the bumps (dips in the wave) but filter the humps (highs in the wave)
(22-Jun-2015, 11:30)completeluxury Wrote: ive still got a long way to go with playing around with different filters.. but the program is set up to be so easy to use i was expecting it to be much more involved... its just all about getting the few things you need to do right!

ive probably got another couple hours of playing around to do before im happy.

Digging this topic out of the archives, while I haven't gotten much further with it since my last post.  Angel

@Completeluxury: How are things progressing on your end?

I had a discussion with Uli in the acourate yahoo group where he stated that ideally the measurement micro should be connected directly to the DAC (for us the Dev) in the system chain to avoid timing issues associated with multiple clocks for the AD / DA coversions.

Given that our setups are similar, my question to you is, how and where are you connecting your micro for the measurements? Directly to your audio pc? The Dev?

Thx.