Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet chassis discolorations
Is anybody noticed ANY discolorations in metallic chassis of Yours Devialets 110/120 and 170/200? Especially please chcek in corners... is the mettalic surface in one perfect color? Or maybe there are some markings?

I am wondering if high temperature is not doing any changes of color?
Checked mine (although it's a 250), even had a look at the corners with quite a bright torch. I cannot see any discolorations at all.

The remote is a bit discoloured, finger print related. It does polish up quite easily though.
I've heard of one instance of a Devialet being very discoloured. IIRC it wasn't just at the corners: it had a brownish tint all over. This was a dealer's demo unit, and the explanation given was that the dealer had been running the unit for a couple of months without removing the sticky plastic cover. I don't know how much truth there is in this explanation.

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
(13-Jul-2014, 18:52)Jwg1749 Wrote: I've heard of one instance of a Devialet being very discoloured. IIRC it wasn't just at the corners: it had a brownish tint all over. This was a dealer's demo unit, and the explanation given was that the dealer had been running the unit for a couple of months without removing the sticky plastic cover. I don't know how much truth there is in this explanation.

Great information! Thank You. I had a similar situation. I have seen one unit with some brownish tint in corners but also in removable rear cover and on some parts of top chassis. I know that dealer used it also without removing sticky plastic cover. So maybe this was also the the same cause of this problem.
I have the same concern. After flashed my 170 to 200 firmware, I noticed that the standby temperature has increased significantly. It is so warm that I suspected the amp is constantly running. (Although the long "boot time" suggest to me that the computer section is dormant.

I am concerned about long term wear and tear on the internals as well as the gorgeous surface subject to such constant baking.

As common practice I used to keep my Naim gears on standby 24/7 years on end and it ran totally cool. But that is class A/B of course.

I also had a Vitus amp that is pure class A, and while on standby I could not sense any warming at all.

Surely there should be a mode for the Devialet just to be on alert for being awaken by the remote and leave the audio section dormant?
(14-Jul-2014, 02:34)agentsmith Wrote: I have the same concern. After flashed my 170 to 200 firmware, I noticed that the standby temperature has increased significantly. It is so warm that I suspected the amp is constantly running. (Although the long "boot time" suggest to me that the computer section is dormant.

I am concerned about long term wear and tear on the internals as well as the gorgeous surface subject to such constant baking.

As common practice I used to keep my Naim gears on standby 24/7 years on end and it ran totally cool. But that is class A/B of course.

I also had a Vitus amp that is pure class A, and while on standby I could not sense any warming at all.

Surely there should be a mode for the Devialet just to be on alert for being awaken by the remote and leave the audio section dormant?

FYI, I just powered my 200 up from standby (not used for 9 hours) and the temperatures were 30/29/31 degrees. The ambient temperature is 19C.

The standby power consumption of a D-Premier is said to be <5W which I don't think is unreasonable given there's a DAC, pre and power amp in there. I read that a 110 uses 8W - the 200 may be different but I haven't seen any official figures. I wouldnt expect it to be any higher.

On Computeraudiophile someone measured the standby power consumption of a 110 as "27W at idle" - not sure quite what they mean. That would be enough to keep the box noticeably above ambient temperature but it shouldn't really be hot.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
I measured mine with a cheap power consumption meter last year when it was a 170. I got 8.5W standby, 28.5W idle or playing through line 1 or phono, 25.6W via AIR on Ethernet.
I don't play very loud as it's a small room but interesting it's the same whether driving speakers or not. I've measured other amps displaying the same behaviour too.
Also not sure how it's using less playing music via AIR than sitting idle set to line 1 or phono ?? Might be some inaccuracy slipping in there.
Me too, noticed a hike in temperature, despite the declaration from Devialet that the temperature should be lowered due to better power management. Probably did the increase in power (170 to 200) hide that decrease in temperature.
With the 400 I noticed an increase in temperature compared to the 200. If that is an increase due to that I play louder (I think) I do not know.

The temperature between the units for the 400 is pretty equal except for the D-amp section where the slave typically runs 5-6 deg C lower.

I have also noticed discolorations, the 'chrome' has turned a bit darker, though on my units its evenly over the whole chassis. After cleaning the cassis with appropriate solvents and cloths this dark tone remains.

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
(14-Jul-2014, 11:50)Mikeeo Wrote: I have also noticed discolorations, the 'chrome' has turned a bit darker, though on my units its evenly over the whole chassis. After cleaning the cassis with appropriate solvents and cloths this dark tone remains.

/Mike

Hello Mike!

Thank You very much for answer. Would You be so kind to attach any photo of this discoloration?

I red that 110 and 170 metal chassis costed 6 times less than Devialet D-Premier chassis. Maybe these changes in colors are just because that unit is to hot and chassis is not enough hot-resistible? I now that D-Premier was sometimes very, very hot but because of great quality of chassis there were no any changes in its color.
(14-Jul-2014, 20:32)moreno1973 Wrote:
(14-Jul-2014, 11:50)Mikeeo Wrote: I have also noticed discolorations, the 'chrome' has turned a bit darker, though on my units its evenly over the whole chassis. After cleaning the cassis with appropriate solvents and cloths this dark tone remains.

/Mike

Hello Mike!

Thank You very much for answer. Would You be so kind to attach any photo of this discoloration?

I red that 110 and 170 metal chassis costed 6 times less than Devialet D-Premier chassis. Maybe these changes in colors are just because that unit is to hot and chassis is not enough hot-resistible? I now that D-Premier was sometimes very, very hot but because of great quality of chassis there were no any changes in its color.

Hi,

Well I am abroad at the moment and will not be back until a week into August however I will try to remember to post some pictures after that.

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK