Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linear Power Supply for the Router?
Thinking of getting a TeddyPardo PS for streamer, just wondering if I should get the dual socket one so the router can be powered by it as well. Anyone streaming over ETH tried this mod and any changes in SQ?
by router do you mean a switch right near your streamer or the actual modem router?
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)
I actually have both in my setup ( a modem router and then a switch in the living room) but lets say only one modem router is in the network, devialet, NAS and streamer all connected to it via ethernet cable, would it make difference in SQ?
honestly i doubt it. you probably have more EMI from the cable runs through the house compared to what little emi a smps puts onto the switch!

if the cost to upgrade the linear ps is small then its not a big deal to try it out.
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)
Depends on who you ask! There's some that tried and say it matters and there's some who have not tried it and say it does not matter and there's some who tried it that say it doesn't matter. Moral of the story, it can't be predicted, it depends on a lot (everything?) in your system you have to try it for yourself.

I myself did it previously to satisfy my OCD needs (Wink) even though I don't connect ethernet to my Devialet directly (I use USB and ethernet is only connected to my PC based music server). Recently I switched over to optical fiber based ethernet (using FMC's) to isolate fully (electrically) from the computer network, which is another option.

You can read about it all a lot more on computeraudiophile.com
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(22-Jun-2015, 13:25)completeluxury Wrote: honestly i doubt it. you probably have more EMI from the cable runs through the house compared to what little emi a smps puts onto the switch!

if the cost to upgrade the linear ps is small then its not a big deal to try it out.

I think I 'll just get the dedicate PSU for my streamer and if I want, there's plenty cheap but effective options locally for the router in case I want to play with it.
(22-Jun-2015, 18:10)Antoine Wrote: Depends on who you ask! There's some that tried and say it matters and there's some who have not tried it and say it does not matter and there's some who tried it that say it doesn't matter. Moral of the story, it can't be predicted, it depends on a lot (everything?) in your system you have to try it for yourself.

I myself did it previously to satisfy my OCD needs (Wink) even though I don't connect ethernet to my Devialet directly (I use USB and ethernet is only connected to my PC based music server). Recently I switched over to optical fiber based ethernet (using FMC's) to isolate fully (electrically) from the computer network, which is another option.

You can read about it all a lot more on computeraudiophile.com

thanks for the link, will do some more reading. I just swap out all cat5e cables for 6, very painful so although im tempted I wont go for optical for a while. Smile
A dedicated router with linear Psu did make a difference in my system. I have a d-link 24 port for the home and has a 5-yr old Cisco 2008 5-port dedicated for the hi Fi equipment. I have my d120, Nas, PC connected to the Cisco and the Cisco connected to my d-link to my wireless router. Yesterday, I connected my pc to the d-link instead of the Cisco. My system doesn't sound as good. I just read Paul pang has released a modified zxyler 5-port router. Wonder if that would make a difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
(10-Jul-2015, 15:33)warpeon Wrote: A dedicated router with linear Psu did make a difference in my system. I have a d-link 24 port for the home and has a 5-yr old Cisco 2008 5-port dedicated for the hi Fi equipment. I have my d120, Nas, PC connected to the Cisco and the Cisco connected to my d-link to my wireless router. Yesterday, I connected my pc to the d-link instead of the Cisco. My system doesn't sound as good. I just read Paul pang has released a modified zxyler 5-port router. Wonder if that would make a difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Which linear power supply do you use?

Is it making a buzzing sound when working, or is it completely quiet?
D400; Stereolab Tombo Tron coaxial for master -> slave; Kubala-Sosna Elation interconnects, power, and speaker cables; Spendor D7 speakers; Bryston BDP-2 w. latest sound card & upgraded fuses; Bybee Stealth Power Purifier conditioner connected with IsoTek EVO3 Syncro SE to wall socket
if you want cost effective linear power supplies take a look at teradak.com.au