Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Master/slave link
(18-Jul-2014, 10:28)nfnc Wrote: Well, posed the queries to DVLA last week but no response yet.

On the clock sync issue, while one assumes that DVLA have done their homework, it would be good to know what they have done. As some have said, I preferred their old, info-centric, website.

There are other manufacturers who are more upfront with what they have done to address the clock sync/time lag issue. For example, TotalDac employs a dedicated clock sync cable between their dual Mono DACs even while it connects the digital signal via AES/EBU. Avantgarde Acoustics, who link the master/salve units of their Zero 1 DSP active speakers wirelessly, indicate that they delay the master unit by up to 2 milliseconds to allow the slave unit to catch up with the master unit.

Mikeeo reports hearing differences in sound quality between the master and slave units in the 400 while IanG-UK is happy with his 800. Hmm...just go for the top of the line Big Grin
Mike here, well I do believe and hope it is burn in procedure. Just stopped by my home yesterday to pack for a bizz tripp and had the chance to listen for 6 hours. From this I can say that seem to be very little differences or none so I am a happy cat again. Top of the line was my idea from the beginning but as I was a sceptic 'believer' I started with 170 which to my ears was as good as the 240 at double the price give and take some loud playing on tricky loudspeakers. My intention if liking the 170/200 was to leave that one for movie duties and then move to the 250 camp and dual mono but I am happy for that choice now when I moved into 400 which leaves the 250 behind in sound quality for the same money, more dough for music, new tonearm etc...Wink
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
My Devialet 800 shipped with what looked like a Transparent Premium S/PDIF. It didn't actually say Transparent on the cable but otherwise looked identical.

I tried a Transparent XL S/PDIF and couldn't believe the improvement in SQ. The music sounded more analog-like and there was more air around instruments and voices. The soundstage was deeper and there was more tonal texture. It was so good that I placed an order immediately!

At the time I owned a Chord Sarum TA AES/EBU (connecting the MiND 180 with the Master) so it made sense to try the Chord Sarum TA S/PDIF too.

The Transparent XL cable was leaps better, and the end result was that I ended up replacing the Chord AES/EBU with the Transparent XL too!

Interestingly the jump in SQ after fitting the S/PDIF was greater than that after fitting the AES/EBU Transparent XL. So in other words changing the link between Master and Slave/Companion made a greater difference than changing cables between UPnP streamer and Master. I know this because I lived with just the S/PDIF upgrade for a couple of weeks before getting the Transparent XL AES/EBU. I also did lots of experimenting swapping between the Chord and Transparent cables.

I thought this was very interesting and discussed this with both my dealer and Absolute Sounds. Why would the digital link between the two units make such a difference?

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(19-Jul-2014, 13:55)GuillaumeB Wrote: My Devialet 800 shipped with what looked like a Transparent Premium S/PDIF. It didn't actually say Transparent on the cable but otherwise looked identical.

I tried a Transparent XL S/PDIF and couldn't believe the improvement in SQ. The music sounded more analog-like and there was more air around instruments and voices. The soundstage was deeper and there was more tonal texture. It was so good that I placed an order immediately!

At the time I owned a Chord Sarum TA AES/EBU (connecting the MiND 180 with the Master) so it made sense to try the Chord Sarum TA S/PDIF too.

The Transparent XL cable was leaps better, and the end result was that I ended up replacing the Chord AES/EBU with the Transparent XL too!

Interestingly the jump in SQ after fitting the S/PDIF was greater than that after fitting the AES/EBU Transparent XL. So in other words changing the link between Master and Slave/Companion made a greater difference than changing cables between UPnP streamer and Master. I know this because I lived with just the S/PDIF upgrade for a couple of weeks before getting the Transparent XL AES/EBU. I also did lots of experimenting swapping between the Chord and Transparent cables.

I thought this was very interesting and discussed this with both my dealer and Absolute Sounds. Why would the digital link between the two units make such a difference?

Guillaume
Guillaume, I guess this may be the cause for the differences heard by me. I have the Crystal Cable RCA-RCA as supplied by Devialet. I will definitely try out other options and have ordered material to make my own ie the same I have for the streaming into the Dev, VHAudios own silver coax. I think that in keeping strict 75 ohm not only in cable but perhaps more important the connectors will reap rewards. What connectors does the Transparent have?

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
(19-Jul-2014, 14:28)Mikeeo Wrote:
(19-Jul-2014, 13:55)GuillaumeB Wrote: My Devialet 800 shipped with what looked like a Transparent Premium S/PDIF. It didn't actually say Transparent on the cable but otherwise looked identical.

Guillaume
Guillaume, I guess this may be the cause for the differences heard by me. I have the Crystal Cable RCA-RCA as supplied by Devialet. I will definitely try out other options and have ordered material to make my own ie the same I have for the streaming into the Dev, VHAudios own silver coax. I think that in keeping strict 75 ohm not only in cable but perhaps more important the connectors will reap rewards. What connectors does the Transparent have?

/Mike

RCA-RCA just like the Crystal one I guess. I've attached a pic.

Guillaume

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(19-Jul-2014, 14:58)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(19-Jul-2014, 14:28)Mikeeo Wrote:

Guillaume

/Mike

RCA-RCA just like the Crystal one I guess. I've attached a pic.

Guillaume
Thanks for the pic! The Crystals supplied by Dev have budget Furutech FP-126. The ones on the picture looks serious. I will get a pair of the latest Eichmanns full silver for my home brewed dig cable.

/Mike
I had a strange setup and experience by chance on the M/S link...

I am currently using an Echole Signature RCA to XLR cable with great results. Couple of weeks ago, when I had some time away, I sent the digital cable, along with my power cords for some burn in. ( a friend has the Telos burn in machine, and he was nice to accomodate my cables for a weekend)

Anyhow, back to the point. I got back on a sunday, and wanted to listen to some music but the digital link was not coming back until monday so I started looking for an alternative at home...

I had misplaced my old cables so at a moment of desperation, I connected a Stealth Indra RCA (Analog) cable as an RCA-RCA digital link between the 800. I normally use them from my analog setup to Devialet. I remember reading somewhere that they are good digital cables as well...

So, the result was undeniably great. Not as great as the Echole, apparently, but really great. In case you come across them and want to give a try, just make sure that the pure silver connectors are clean...

Cheers...

Kunter
Kii Three, dCS Network Bridge, Roon Nucleus, Kuzma (Stabi S, 4Point), Soundsmith StrainGauge, Stromtank, Echole Cables 
Istanbul, Turkey
Kunter and Guillaume,

Thanks for your insights. Do I correctly understand that you both use a RCA-XLR set-up? And how does it connect? RCA at slave or the opposite? As you both run 800's and I 400 is there another set-up for the 800 enabling the XLR-RCA config?
I remember Thierry told me that if I could run the AES/EBU I should but I am not sure I can have this config with my 400!?

/Mike
(19-Jul-2014, 18:54)Mikeeo Wrote: Kunter and Guillaume,

Thanks for your insights. Do I correctly understand that you both use a RCA-XLR set-up? And how does it connect? RCA at slave or the opposite? As you both run 800's and I 400 is there another set-up for the 800 enabling the XLR-RCA config?
I remember Thierry told me that if I could run the AES/EBU I should but I am not sure I can have this config with my 400!?

/Mike

Hi Mike

I guess you have discovered it by now but, if not, yes you can.

In the 400 advanced configurator click on the chaining drop down. You can untick "share sources from slave" and then click on the lower XLR socket - this then allows you to connect RCA master to XLR slave. But with this you do not get input facilities on the slave.

I remember initially, in the D-Premier, Thierry said the RCA to XLR was better than RCA to RCA. I do not know whether this still applies.

Remember to use a 75 ohm cable!
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
Hi,

Thanks for the added input and yes I found this option in the configurator but as you say then rest of slave inputs will be omitted. I do believe someone else on this forum made the test and now preferred the rca-rca connection so perhaps it is up to the quality of the cable and not only connector as I think that Devialet believed that the XLR connectors on offer (at that time) was a better choice than the rca. That leads me to thing that having 75 ohm into a '110' ohm connection does not matter as Dev has a 'mojo' taking care of the impedance difference.
Just to make sure I will test with another connector cable than the supplied Crystal cable. It will be up and running within 2 weeks time, I'll let you know my findings.

Now I will shut down my units and down load the latest software Smile

/Mike
(06-Aug-2014, 10:28)IanG-UK Wrote:
(19-Jul-2014, 18:54)Mikeeo Wrote: Kunter and Guillaume,

/Mike

Hi Mike

I guess you have discovered it by now but, if not, yes you can.

In the 400 advanced configurator click on the chaining drop down. You can untick "share sources from slave" and then click on the lower XLR socket - this then allows you to connect RCA master to XLR slave. But with this you do not get input facilities on the slave.

I remember initially, in the D-Premier, Thierry said the RCA to XLR was better than RCA to RCA. I do not know whether this still applies.

Remember to use a 75 ohm cable!

Thanks for stepping in and answering this Ian. Smile

I also got a bit confused by this whole XLR/RCA and RCA/RCA thing and had some correspondence on the subject with Thierry. At the time I wasn't convinced by a hybrid cable (wouldn't this result in impedance variations?). In the event my 500 shipped with an RCA/RCA cable (Transparent cable by the looks of things). The 400 appears to ship with an RCA/RCA Crystal cable. So presumably Devialet have changed their tact on this subject.

Guillaume

UK