Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Master/slave link
(07-Aug-2014, 23:06)darthsteph Wrote:
(07-Aug-2014, 15:40)f1eng Wrote:
(07-Aug-2014, 15:28)Mikeeo Wrote: Plus when my orchestra friends visiting they will tell me this or that about the system, and they are pretty direct and skilled noticing if I changed something from the time before.

I am very surprised by this. My wife is a musician by profession and we therefore have lots of friends who are musicians. None of them are interested by hifi and whilst some are impressed by what can be done, now they have heard my system, none feel any of the things I have tried to show make any difference at all!

We have a Steinway Model B in our music room and host Associated Board examinations there. All the musicians show a combination of amazement and shock by the hifi in my room. Only one has been really interested and then extremely impressed by the sound quality, I can reproduce the Steinway fairly convincingly in here (with £15 speaker cables), but all think it an absurd waste of money and space.
Also aural memory is very short. About 15 minutes IIRC. So I take any change which takes longer than 15 minutes to complete, level matched, as an indeterminate test.

I think our friends humour us for our eccentric pastime. Those that don't just look askance ;-)

I'm surprised too !!!

I did some tests with my different systems, and always found differences depending on the cables connected to the amp and speakers.

Two interesting experiments :
- With my previous system, I bought some MPC power cords, only because I thought it could be better to have hi-end power cords… but without any test before…! And with Devialet, I thought that I could spare some money with PC and sell them. So, before doing it, I plugged the Dev's with regular PC. And after, only for the fun, I connected the MPC again… And the differences were not subtle… To be sure, I spent 2 / 3 hours plugging the regular and MPC and so on… One time, I thought I connected the MPC, and found that it was flat and lacked of dynamic… I didn't understand and thought that the differences were psychological… And when I checked the back of the Dev's, I saw the regular PC… I did a mistake, and doing this, I did a blind test !

- With the Devialets, I tried to find good speaker cables. At one time, I had 3 different pairs, and asked my parents, visiting me, to hear the different cables. They are not musician, and don't have a HiFi system as it doesn't interest them… So, it was a real blind test for them, as they don't know the different brand of cables tested and their price. And incredible : they recognized the "sound" of each cable (number 1, 2 and 3), and describe the effects of each exactly as I did…!!!

I am on your side as I found the biggest reward with PC's in my Dev set-up, now running 2 JPS Kaptovators into the D400, which made a big difference to me (and others). For sure the Dev is responding well to the 'right' PC.
Just started moving to our new home in which I will install a dedicated circuit for the system, hoping for some gain in SQ.

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
(08-Aug-2014, 00:01)Mikeeo Wrote: Just started moving to our new home in which I will install a dedicated circuit for the system, hoping for some gain in SQ.

/Mike

This is actually one of the most cost effective upgrades you can carry out. I'd also recommend thinking about installing a dedicated consumer unit/distribution board.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(07-Aug-2014, 10:32)nfnc Wrote: > There has been no 'voicing' to the supplied interconnect. As a matter of fact, Devialet proprietary technologies make it rather insensitive which cables are used (be it power supply, speaker, or digital interconnects). We do not believe there will be 'flavour' differences between different digital interconnects between both units, and have not noticed any.

I must say I am rather intrigued as to why Devialet have chosen to include a £500+ digital cable with their 400 package. Also with my 500 I received what looked like a (white labeled) Transparent Premium digital cable which retails at £755.

If what they are saying is correct then what is the purpose of including expensive digital cables in their packages? Of course one can spend a lot more money on a digital cable but that's not the point.

Guillaume

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Well Guillaume I would think that the fact that there are loads of owners on fora posting about cables means they may well have to do something impressive looking, even though the engineers at Devialet don't believe/hear it makes a difference themselves.
When I updated my D-Premiers and could no longer use the rca-AES cable I had been using I enquired why the update package didn't include a new digital rca-rca cable.
Muriel wrote that the update was a good value favour being done but that a Transparent cable is supplied with the 800. I bought a pro Mogami.
I imagine the OEM price for the Transparent, without Transparent branding, is near £10.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(08-Aug-2014, 11:47)f1eng Wrote: Well Guillaume I would think that the fact that there are loads of owners on fora posting about cables means they may well have to do something impressive looking, even though the engineers at Devialet don't believe/hear it makes a difference themselves.
When I updated my D-Premiers and could no longer use the rca-AES cable I had been using I enquired why the update package didn't include a new digital rca-rca cable.
Muriel wrote that the update was a good value favour being done but that a Transparent cable is supplied with the 800. I bought a pro Mogami.
I imagine the OEM price for the Transparent, without Transparent branding, is near £10.

Correct me if I am wrong - Digital signal is in fact analog.
0 and 1s are transmitted through in wave form inside the cable. Therefore, interference may occur; which with SPDIF and USB without the error detection and resending, quality of cable will matter more.
(08-Aug-2014, 12:09)warpeon Wrote:
(08-Aug-2014, 11:47)f1eng Wrote: Well Guillaume I would think that the fact that there are loads of owners on fora posting about cables means they may well have to do something impressive looking, even though the engineers at Devialet don't believe/hear it makes a difference themselves.

Correct me if I am wrong - Digital signal is in fact analog.
0 and 1s are transmitted through in wave form inside the cable. Therefore, interference may occur; which with SPDIF and USB without the error detection and resending, quality of cable will matter more.

You are wrong.

Very common error but a thing that’s not true, even if is repeated a thousand times, will remain false. Always helpful to remember this.

The digital sensing in the receiver happens as the signal passes through zero and since it is a square wave the interference on the top and bottom of the square only has a visual effect on a graph, but no effect on the digital signal captured.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

£10! Blimey.

Well it looks as though the 800 and the 250 "companions" are shipping with the Crystal cable now, just checked the website.

Actually the Mogami Gold digital cable is highly rated in audiophile circles. I wouldn't mind trying it sometime.

Guillaume

UK
(08-Aug-2014, 11:33)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(07-Aug-2014, 10:32)nfnc Wrote: > There has been no 'voicing' to the supplied interconnect. As a matter of fact, Devialet proprietary technologies make it rather insensitive which cables are used (be it power supply, speaker, or digital interconnects). We do not believe there will be 'flavour' differences between different digital interconnects between both units, and have not noticed any.

I must say I am rather intrigued as to why Devialet have chosen to include a £500+ digital cable with their 400 package. Also with my 500 I received what looked like a (white labeled) Transparent Premium digital cable which retails at £755.

If what they are saying is correct then what is the purpose of including expensive digital cables in their packages? Of course one can spend a lot more money on a digital cable but that's not the point.

Guillaume

Yes, it's surprising…

When I told the Devialet team that I have best results with other PC than the regular sold with the Dev's, they answered me that they can't put a hi-end PC as they wanted the customers to be able to choose their own PC…

So, I don't understand the logic of Devialet about the digital cable : why not put a regular digital cable ? If it's only for the 'look", I think that we can find more beautiful PC ;-)
(08-Aug-2014, 11:47)f1eng Wrote: I bought a pro Mogami.

I hope you got the proper permissions prior to trebling your total cable budget…………
Smile

(08-Aug-2014, 16:22)Confused Wrote: I hope you got the proper permissions prior to trebling your total cable budget…………

I suspect that they have re-aligned their official point of view in order for their customers to be right since they certainly did not think a power chord could effect the sound, given the hundreds of meters of inexpensive cable between the house and the sub-station.
If customers wish to use an aftermarket last 2 meters it is their prerogative, and enough of them like playing with such things for them to be right from a supplier POV.
If a customer finds a preference that is fine, telling them one is better than another or that it doesn't make a difference is not...

(08-Aug-2014, 14:19)darthsteph Wrote: Yes, it's surprising…

When I told the Devialet team that I have best results with other PC than the regular sold with the Dev's, they answered me that they can't put a hi-end PC as they wanted the customers to be able to choose their own PC…

So, I don't understand the logic of Devialet about the digital cable : why not put a regular digital cable ? If it's only for the 'look", I think that we can find more beautiful PC ;-)
Oxfordshire