Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Melco v Aurender
(03-Jul-2015, 10:56)Confused Wrote:
(03-Jul-2015, 08:16)PhilP Wrote: Its probably the most compelling comparison of the moment - certainly one that I'm keen to hear your views on.

A few points - largely selfish I know but it doesn't hurt to ask and I think others will be interested Wink :

- will you use 8.1.2 as its the latest FW version?
- It would be great if you could include AIR in the comparison (maybe just switch over once you've done your main comparison?).  The reason is that I've heard big improvements from Mac/AIR in my system with 7.1.3 and now 8.1.2+SAM and I think these have brought AIR much close to top quality streamer performance
- I don't know whether any of you are TIDAL customers but Aurender's excellent TIDAL integration is a big positive. It would be interesting to know how the Melco stacks up against it both in sound and usability
- Both are effectively plug and play but it would be v. interesting to get your thoughts on day-to-day usability

Thanks,

Philip

I feel a little guilty for adding to the review requests, but I have to agree with Philip.  Going from 7.1.3beta to and now with 8.1.2, both with AIR, it too am finding the sound quality rather splendid, for me better than ever.  So how these machines stack up to AIR with respect to SQ is very interesting, after all, there is not much point parting with a couple of grand for little or no change in SQ?  Although maybe even a small improvement might be well worth it if you like the functionality of either streamer, or indeed just the idea of not having a computer as part of a hifi system.  Maybe a quick AIR trial once you've picked a winner from he two machines?   Now, if you could throw in the 3d Lab Nano, Antipodes, and yes the Weiss Man301 looks interesting, plus the cable comparisons, that would be splendid.  Although even if anyone could pull this off one day, it would drive them quite insane.

I'll shut up now. 

Anyway, great work sorting out this test, I look forward to your findings whatever you decide to try, your test, your call!

Also throw in Bryston BDP-2 with the new sound card (available since the middle of May).

Why take an entire day?!!! Do it in under 3 hours!  Big Grin
D400; Stereolab Tombo Tron coaxial for master -> slave; Kubala-Sosna Elation interconnects, power, and speaker cables; Spendor D7 speakers; Bryston BDP-2 w. latest sound card & upgraded fuses; Bybee Stealth Power Purifier conditioner connected with IsoTek EVO3 Syncro SE to wall socket
I have had time to use Aurender X100 (not N100) and own the Melco N1A which I'm very familiar with. Two thoughts about the N1A that I don't need a comparison to keep in mind, 1. the N1A allows user to mirror the drives just like most 2+ bay NAS. When a N1A drive goes bad (and all drives eventually do whether SSD or HDD), user swaps in a new one making exact re-mirroring easy. 2. As Andrew Everard/Paul Miller reported in their N1A review, it matters most how one connects N1A into their system. Since day one I use my N1A connected USB to D120 with only a modem for iPad communication with app. I have nothing else on my home network and never use this network connected to internet. Sounds best that way. The Aurenders are fine devices. The Melco is easier to use as setup and adjustments are made via front panel button pushes for most part. SQ comes down to personal preference, but they are both very good in this price range. I've been an audio bug since early 1970's serving in US Army overseas and forty years since have owned much more expensive systems than my present downsize/senior living system - so no neophyte in this hobby. I have no doubt there will be better players in years to come. I do not miss my expensive turntable setups, my Esoteric disc player or my Lumin A1 Network Player from past.
You lot are a demanding bunch aren't you?  Tongue

Anyway these tests become impossible if you throw in too many variables. I think we keep things simple and we just compare the Aurender to the Melco.

I've never doubted that AIR sounds great, in fact in my last big shootout I pointed out that AIR was the elephant in the room; it actually sounded better than some of the other streamers!

However as Confused has correctly pointed out (and if we put the AIR reliability issues to one side for a second) it becomes more about personal preferences/usability (Confused: you like the iTunes interface, with track ratings etc right?). In my case I like to use an iPad running a simple IOS app to play music without worrying about computers. Yes I know there are computers in the QNAP and totaldac d1 but they are "always on" and difficult to fiddle with without using a computer browser to access their operating systems, plus the one in the totaldac is highly optimised for audio, you certainly can't use it to check your emails. I'm also highly suspicious of Mac and PCs in the audio chain, particularly plain vanilla ones; I know the ones used by for example Antoine and completeluxury are a completely different kettle of fish. After hearing Gentleman's prototype 4 chassis streamer in Sweden I can most definitely attest to this! 

However given that I don't have the technical know-how and expertise to build my own 2 or 4 box computer what I'm looking for is the perfect streamer/storage device.

I'm also not convinced by the sound quality of online streaming in my system - sorry PhilP. Yes Qobuz is much better than Tidal but it's still a long way off the sound you get from, say the Melco N1Z running a FLAC file, which quite frankly is the best I've heard to date. Period. I honestly think that if 80% or more of your listening is Qobuz or Tidal then the Melco is surplus to requirements; it is after all a highly optimised NAS. 

Oh boy we're digressing... just Melco v Aurender ok?  Smile

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Then Melco vs Aurender it is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
Guillaume - you appear to know a all my secrets, can I have the negatives back now please.....
(02-Jul-2015, 20:10)GuillaumeB Wrote: Yes you read the title of the thread correctly, it's going to happen... on Monday! 

Myself, Rufus and cc1 will compare the Melco N1A to the Aurender X100H, and we've also got an assortment of Allsorts, I mean USB cables, to test!  Tongue

Watch this space. 

Guillaume

I was just waiting for the black edition of the N1A (anybody has seen it yet?) and was ready to buy it. Now I wonder whether your comparison will change my mind. My local Devialet dealer highly recommends Aurender, but I have to admit that I found it slightly too expensive (compared to the Melco). Really looking forward to your test!
Devialet 220 pro CI - Surface 4 pro / Dirac / Roon / AIR - Kuzma Stabi S / Hana SL - PMC Fact 8
(03-Jul-2015, 11:54)GuillaumeB Wrote: ...

I'm also not convinced by the sound quality of online streaming in my system - sorry PhilP. Yes Qobuz is much better than Tidal but it's still a long way off the sound you get from, say the Melco N1Z running a FLAC file, which quite frankly is the best I've heard to date. Period. I honestly think that if 80% or more of your listening is Qobuz or Tidal then the Melco is to surplus to requirements; it is after all a highly optimised NAS. 

Oh boy we're digressing... just Melco v Aurender ok?  Smile

Guillaume

Guillaume,

sorry for being demanding - it's your test so, of course you must perform the comparisons that you want to do Smile

One option I had considered was using a Melco for streaming local files and a Mac for Qobuz and iRadio - possibly the best of both worlds because its easier to add new services to a Mac.  Alan Ainslie said on here that it was possible to get very good results streaming TIDAL using the Melco plus Bubble UPnP. From his comments I didn't think Melco were intending their products to be used just as an optimised NAS but were actively extending its capabilities to be more like a streamer?  I would guess that many or maybe most on here are looking for or already have a streamer solution that covers local files, on-line music services and iRadio and aren't just looking for a box to stream local files...

I had thought the comparison with AIR would be exceptionally easy to do and relevant to many people.

Anyway,  it's up to you and I look forward to your comments with great interest Smile
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(03-Jul-2015, 11:47)Bob Ryan Wrote: I have had time to use Aurender X100 (not N100) and own the Melco N1A which I'm very familiar with. Two thoughts about the N1A that I don't need a comparison to keep in mind, 1. the N1A allows user to mirror the drives just like most 2+ bay NAS. When a N1A drive goes bad (and all drives eventually do whether SSD or HDD), user swaps in a new one making exact re-mirroring easy. 2. As Andrew Everard/Paul Miller reported in their N1A review, it matters most how one connects N1A into their system. Since day one I use my N1A connected USB to D120 with only a modem for iPad communication with app. I have nothing else on my home network and never use this network connected to internet. Sounds best that way. The Aurenders are fine devices. The Melco is easier to use as setup and adjustments are made via front panel button pushes for most part. SQ comes down to personal preference, but they are both very good in this price range. I've been an audio bug since early 1970's serving in US Army overseas and forty years since have owned much more expensive systems than my present downsize/senior living system - so no neophyte in this hobby. I have no doubt there will be better players in years to come. I do not miss my expensive turntable setups, my Esoteric disc player or my Lumin A1 Network Player from past.

Interesting post Bob. From SQ and usability perspectives I'm sure you're right that it often comes down to personal taste and you make a very good point about the robustness of the Melco solution in comparison to the Aurender to which HDDs were only added to the N100 as an afterthought (as apparently many users had problems setting it up with AMM) and there is no disk mirroring. Nowadays though it's pretty easy to back up the Aurenders to external USB drives. Apparently it does require a trip back to a dealer if you need to have a HDD replaced and formatted - though I did read that Aurender can do this for you remotely.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
I think the whole back up bit as regards the Aurender is sort of irrelevant. I have a N100H, I also have all my music on my Synology Nas and backed up to a USB drive. When I get new music I put it on my Nas, and send a copy over to the Aurender and send a copy to my USB ..My Synology DS214play, is used for my Sonos and its setup as a raid 1.. If my Aurender crapped out I still have it all on the Nas, Nas goes still have it on the USB.. What I like about the Aurender having my music on it locally is no network interference of any kind.. It's nice having it all self contained.. No turning on my iMac to run AIR.. Just plop down in my comfy spot and pretty much hit play..

In any case not tying to put down the Melco.. And looking forward to the comparison..
I don't use the backup facilities on the Melco and use the default striped HDDs. I use it as backup storage device (as well as music player) from the music library on my Qnap, same as you ErikM with your Aurender. I also backup the Qnap to an external disk and also a cloud backup with Crashplan. Yes, it did take a long time to upload the initial music library to Crashplan - about a mont for the music! It's cheap for unlimited storage though so a useful offsite method of backing up.