Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Phantom white vs silver + general impressions
I could add that I chose the silver since it was not that much more expensive and I thought 99dB max spl was a bit low to be frank. My main system uses 109dB/watt speakers and Devialet 800.
In fact the silvers go plenty loud enough in a fairly large room.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(09-Jul-2015, 15:17)DSJ Wrote: Current Audio Mag with Phantom Review and Phantoms on the cover (can't remember the mag name) has one of the Devialet team stating that the 3000 watt Silver Phantom does indeed have an upgraded woofer and internals to deal with the extra thermal load and power produced by the Silver Version.

We need to find out what mag this is!
(09-Jul-2015, 16:51)Mr_Bill Wrote:
(09-Jul-2015, 15:17)DSJ Wrote: Current Audio Mag with Phantom Review and Phantoms on the cover (can't remember the mag name) has one of the Devialet team stating that the 3000 watt Silver Phantom does indeed have an upgraded woofer and internals to deal with the extra thermal load and power produced by the Silver Version.

HiFi Choice.

HiFi Choice has Phantom on the cover.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(09-Jul-2015, 17:07)Confused Wrote:

HiFi Choice.

If anyone has a copy and can paraphrase or excerpt the review that would be wonderful. Thanks.
(09-Jul-2015, 17:55)deviousalet Wrote:

HiFi Choice.

If anyone has a copy and can paraphrase or excerpt the review that would be wonderful. Thanks.

The moment we've all been waiting for......................hopefully it doesn't end with 'a great product for the price'
Put it up against the big boys!
(09-Jul-2015, 19:17)Mr_Bill Wrote:
(09-Jul-2015, 17:55)deviousalet Wrote:

HiFi Choice.

The moment we've all been waiting for......................hopefully it doesn't end with 'a great product for the price'
Put it up against the big boys!

Most magazines compare at the same price point, which is a shame since IME price is far from directly related to sound quality...
Two people on here have favourably compared Phantoms with their existing higher priced systems. I am one of them.
Oxfordshire

Okay, I have the magazine right in front of me and here is the conclusion..

Despite the lifestyle branding,
the Silver Phantom is a genuine
hi-fi proposition that's firmly rooted
in high-end audio. What's more, as a
complete music system that comes
fully loaded with Devialet's latest
technology and wi-fi streaming to
boot, it's also exceptional value,
especially given you could start with a
single unit and add a second Phantom
as funds permit. And pair them up
you should, as being configured in
stereo takes them up to the next level
in the audio stakes, with a sound
that's open, full bodied and blessed
with a bass quantity and quality that
really pushes the boundaries of what
you'd expect from a compact system

The magazine was on my doorstep when I got in from work (I subscribe).

I've not read the full article, as it is late and I'm going to savour a full read for Sunday morning over a nice fry up Smile

But they gave it their Editor Choice (gold badge) with everything scoring 5/5 except for features which they gave 4.5/5.

So all in all - it looks like they like them Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Thank you!
(09-Jul-2015, 23:05)stonedragon Wrote: Okay, I have the magazine right in front of me and here is the conclusion..

Despite the lifestyle branding,
the Silver Phantom is a genuine
hi-fi proposition that's firmly rooted
in high-end audio. What's more, as a
complete music system that comes
fully loaded with Devialet's latest
technology and wi-fi streaming to
boot, it's also exceptional value,
especially given you could start with a
single unit and add a second Phantom
as funds permit. And pair them up
you should, as being configured in
stereo takes them up to the next level
in the audio stakes, with a sound
that's open, full bodied and blessed
with a bass quantity and quality that
really pushes the boundaries of what
you'd expect from a compact system

The magazine was on my doorstep when I got in from work (I subscribe).

I've not read the full article, as it is late and I'm going to savour a full read for Sunday morning over a nice fry up   Smile

But they gave it their Editor Choice (gold badge) with everything scoring 5/5 except for features which they gave 4.5/5.

So all in all - it looks like they like them  Big Grin  Big Grin  Big Grin