Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Iconoclast speaker cables
(08-Jul-2015, 11:44)drdkey Wrote:
(08-Jul-2015, 11:15)hk6230 Wrote:
(08-Jul-2015, 10:23)drdkey Wrote:
(08-Jul-2015, 04:27)hk6230 Wrote: I have visited both sites as per your thread, but I couldn't find this so called USB cable.

The Iconoclast are speaker cables, not a USB cable. The original thread discussed using them to connect my Devialet to Magico V2s' with them. This is the name of the thread...Iconoclast speaker cables.

Well, yes, I mistyped. But, you do realized it was not listed in their websites.
I actually assumed that the information was on their website...and you know what they say about assuming! I did not know that they were not listed on the Hanson website until this morning. Irregardless, I stand by my original recommendation for this awesome product and I hope that you get an opportunity to hear them.

Out of curiosity, what is the price for a pair of 10' cable?
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

I want to know the price of a pair of 10-foot or 3-meter SC iconoclast too. But if it asks too much, then it just becomes another audiophile cable in the insane audiophile market.
(08-Jul-2015, 14:15)G51 Wrote: I want to know the price of a pair of 10-foot or 3-meter SC iconoclast too. But if it asks too much, then it just becomes another audiophile cable in the insane audiophile market.

It will be somewhere in the neighborhood of 2k USD. Not cheap but it is a significant improvement in sound quality over many cables. Each person has to decide what represents 2k of improvement. Some would spend that much on a component that, if you added up the actual cost of the materials inside, represents a tiny fraction of the asking price but, since it comes in a box with LEDs, looks like it should cost that much. It is a sad state of affairs in high end audio that equipment costs so much. The goal with these cables was to make something that sounded on par with $20k, $50k cables and to my ears (and others behind the scenes) they succeeded. They are made of copper and teflon for a reason, not cryo-radiated plutonium using a special secret ultrasound bombardment process. Cool   They haven't dealt with tiny markets like ours until now. Belden must recoup the opportunity cost of a day of set up for a 3000ft run of Iconoclast where they could have made miles and miles of coaxial cable (which can be spit out at an astounding rate compared to Iconoclast) to sell to a customer like, Brazil. The materials are not exotic but the design and manufacturing process is so they had to up the ante. The line must be profitable to keep it alive but it is nothing to Belden's bottom line (billions). I'm not here to defend them, just add a little of what I know to the conversation. Some will like them, others not, just as some will see a bargain and others and expensive wire. 

You are some of the first in the world to know about these and I suspect that they will be widely talked about someday soon. The ad copy and technical brochures have not been released yet but the cool thing is that they don't hide anything. They will tell you exactly how they are made and what the numbers mean. The electrical theory is not exotic, it's just the right combination of factors that produce the result.
Thanks, wglenn.
(08-Jul-2015, 17:35)G51 Wrote: Thanks, wglenn.

Hopefully the attached .pdf will open and give you the prices of the interconnects and speaker cables
.pdf   Doc6-2.pdf (Size: 592.26 KB / Downloads: 349)
(08-Jul-2015, 17:47)drdkey Wrote:
(08-Jul-2015, 17:35)G51 Wrote: Thanks, wglenn.

Hopefully the attached .pdf will open and give you the prices of the interconnects and speaker cables

These look like an other ultra expensive cable: 10 ft for the OC grade (I assume that is better copper) is 4600$ and they don't have even any fancy connectors. The geometry of the speaker cables looks quite interesting. But the interconnects look like an other cable with a lot of plastic/dielectric and their OCC grade is extremely expensive (4K for rca and 5.75K for XLR 1.5m).
OCC is Ohno Continuous Casting copper (OCC copper) In 1985, Professor Ohno, from the Chiba Institute of Technology, developed his patented method for the extrusion of a grain-free copper wire. (Technical papers are available from the Japan Inst. Metals and from Chapman & Hall, publishers.) Basically, the highest-quality technique for drawing copper is called “Ohno Continuous Casting” or OCC. OCC copper has one grain in about 700 feet—far less than even LC copper which is the considered bullion grade of copper.

The thing to consider strongly about Belden is their openness to public disclosure regarding their methods & materials rather than hiding behind nonsensical mumbo-jargon and audiophile techno-geek. Just the facts, steeped in credible and sound engineering practice. Bottom line; There's no BS in their product descriptions and/or marketing practice.
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
They appear to be "pricy" to me especially given my thoughts on Belden products were always of them offering a much less expensive but well constructed cable but we all vote with our wallets. The proof will be in the pudding and just maybe they will shame more expensive cables for comparably/considerably less money.

There are other cable manufacturers that use OCC copper and offer products for a lot less money albeit I have no opinion if they are "better" in performance or personal value against this new Belden cable as I've not compared the two.

I'll shamelessly plug a Canadian outfit called Audio Sensibility who uses OCC - no financial affiliation, just a long time happy customer.
Hi Manoet!

FWIW, the designer suggests that you compare the different grades of copper vis a vis their sound quality and ask yourself if it is worth the extra money. I would say that if you have money to burn and have to have "the best" of everything, regardless of whether it sounds better or not… and just really want to throw the money away… really really want to part with it, etc… then get the OCC. Big Grin Catch my drift?

The huge value lies in the TPC line. The OFC represents a small uptick in sound quality. If this is worth twice as much to you then maybe these are the ones to get. Just my opinion here.
This thread reads like one big advertisement from 2 posters :/
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)