Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Iconoclast speaker cables
@Admin: I don't want to ruffle any feathers so I'll put couple of links here and bow out.

Link to Iconoclast discussion thread: 
http://www.psaudio.com/forum/accessories...r-cabling/

Link to my review, FWIW: 
http://www.psaudio.com/forum/accessories...ng/page-2/

If you have any further questions about these, feel free to join in on the other forum.

Will
I sincerely hope the above info is well received in the spirit intended and allowed to remain if for no other reason than the promise of something wicked-good this way comes. I have no affiliation with the poster other than being a member at the forum referenced in the above links and following this topic attentively since day one.
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
(09-Jul-2015, 02:54)Music or sound Wrote: It might be a very good loudspeaker cable but even the low purity copper version is not cheap. Made by Belden is in my opinion neither positive nor negative but it is in the price range of many other good or not so good cables. Likely it will be not difficult to find some which are better and many which are worse.

I've heard the cables and I think this is the point. After listening, I find it unlikely you find anything better near the price range. One point of the design is that the quality of the copper is not near as important as the geometry of the cable. I know that is contrary to what many of us are use to hearing.
It is selected product of Belden. But it is Belden....it is copper but the least expensive SC costs more than $2k per 10m pair!?
$2k for 10 meters doesn't seem all that spendy to me for a quality speaker cable. But an almost 70 foot spread between 2 speakers seems H-U-G-E!!!
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
(12-Jul-2015, 11:35)Manoet Wrote: $2k for 10 meters doesn't seem all that spendy to me for a quality speaker cable. But an almost 70 foot spread between 2 speakers seems H-U-G-E!!!

Yeah!  I though that too, $500 for some nice little short cables would be a much better idea?
Sorry, typo. Should be at least $ 2K+ for a 10-foot pair of the lowest Iconoclast SC model.
I've always tried to follow the "20-25% philosophy." Simply put, I try to remain within 20-25% of my total component & speaker expenditures with my cabling costs. Due to Devialet integrating amp, pre & DAC this would otherwise allow me a nicer set of speaker cabling today than in years past since interconnects are dramatically reduced in cable-count. However, the flip side to that for me is having owned a well over $150k system 5-6 years ago that has allowed me to have a much, much higher grade/cost selection of cabling today with Devialet than previously with greater individual component count/cost. Given that, my personal feeling is a $2k - $3k pair of high-end speaker cables is about par for a Dev 200 alone, quality-wise is a prudent starting point. But doesn't break my heart having a $20k pair of speaker cables left over from my system 5 years ago to use with my meager/modest 200 today! Other than 1 speaker cable pair and 1 power cord today I use a grand total of ONE additional source cable! The price only hurts once and cabling outlives componentry 100:1! I'm always a little saddened by those looking for "cheap" cables after just blowing $10-$40k on high-end components. I personally find it tantamount to purchasing aftermarket 6" X 13" bias ply h-rated tires & wheels for a new GT-3.
(12-Jul-2015, 15:13)Manoet Wrote: I personally find it tantamount to purchasing aftermarket 6" X 13" bias ply h-rated tires & wheels for a new GT-3.

Yes, but as a person who has spent a small part of my career in noise and vibration research including designing my own transducers, but most of it designing and running racing cars I know of clear, obvious and valid reasons why fitting bias ply low speed rated tyres to a GT3 would be stupid and dangerous.

But there is absolutely no technical reason why spending more than £50 on speaker cables is anything other than stark staring bonkers.

It seems a few people hear differences and feel the need to spend a fortune on what can be done for a few quid, which is fair enough, it is their money.

But your analogy is completely and absolutely wrong, I'm afraid, it is in no way tantamount to putting dangerously unsuitable tyres on a car.

Sorry for the rant but bad analogies are a bugbear of mine, and this is very, very bad.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(12-Jul-2015, 18:28)f1eng Wrote:
(12-Jul-2015, 15:13)Manoet Wrote: I personally find it tantamount to purchasing aftermarket 6" X 13" bias ply h-rated tires & wheels for a new GT-3.

Yes, but as a person who has spent a small part of my career in noise and vibration research including designing my own transducers, but most of it designing and running racing cars I know of clear, obvious and valid reasons why fitting bias ply low speed rated tyres to a GT3 would be stupid and dangerous.

But there is absolutely no technical reason why spending more than £50 on speaker cables is anything other than stark staring bonkers.

It seems a few people hear differences and feel the need to spend a fortune on what can be done for a few quid, which is fair enough, it is their money.

But your analogy is completely and absolutely wrong, I'm afraid, it is in no way tantamount to putting dangerously unsuitable tyres on a car.

Sorry for the rant but bad analogies are a bugbear of mine, and this is very, very bad.
Honestly, the thought that there is no technical reason to spend any extra money on cables because there is no sound difference between them is exactly how these cables came about. Do what the original poster did. Borrow some nice cables and hook them up to your system and listen to the difference. The designer of the cables the OP is taking about had the same attitude. Then he designed his cables. He has some amazing stories about other cable designers also. If you have a devialet and a nicely set up system, I think you will hear a difference. If all you do is drive a GT-3 through city traffic, you may have no idea how well the car can perform.