Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oxford Audio Consultants Phantom launch 15th July
(17-Jul-2015, 11:18)NickB Wrote: It was a great day at OAC and as usual Jon paid me back for the free food and drink with grief and insults Big Grin  its a good job that Alisdair is there as well or I could not stand it anymore (well not till next time anyway)

Great to meet Gordy, Guillame and Confused and listen to some good music. Have to say that when we moved the Phantoms into the small room (both white and silver) the difference was not subtle. When SWMBO opens the purse strings again I will be after at least 1 silver to take to Spain for the winter.

Had a great chat with Guillame and Confused. Guillame and I played with switching SAM on and off with the expert system in the small room before the Phantoms were moved and kind of came to the conclusion that with the Wilsons and D800 it was not needed really and sounded better without!!!

Having got back and checked my system found I was still on V8.1.0 software and using SAM at 100%. Have just upgraded to V8.1.2 and set up the system with no SAM and have to say the Magico's probably do not need any help in the bass and I think it sounds better vanilla.

Perhaps we should arrange some sessions at each others houses and have a listen to other set ups sometimes, if I catch the boss in a good mood she will knock up a nice lunch as well !!!

Hi Nick, do you mean the Phantoms sounded much better in the smaller room (where the Sashas were)?

Re SAM I didn't switch it off but dialled it down to 0, whatever that means. I'm assuming it still does the phase correction thing.

By the way please tell Greg that I bought a copy of Herbert Von Karajan's Berliner Philharmonic Orchestra Symphony 9  (Deutsche Grammophon 2008) see attached image. The version I really wanted was the 1976 Berliner Philharmonic Orchestra recording, it's possible that the copy I have is the same thing but that was the closest I could find on Qobuz (and I couldn't be bothered to buy the CD on Amazon then have to wait for delivery and rip!).

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Yes the Phantoms were infinitely better in the small room, clearer and less muddled in the mid range and a much more airy presentation and better definition. Went from Hmmmmmm to Blimey!!! in one move.

I understand about the SAM dial down but tried that first at home and liked it better at 0 so switched off completely and really I prefer it off.

Will ask Greg for an opinion and come back to you but the image seems to be for Symphony Nr 8.
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
I felt the D800/Sasha 2 needed a bit of SAM but it was a bit overpowering with it at 100%. The low frequent interacting with the room became a bit of an issue and it was less coherent.
It was quite a bright-sounding combo compared with Guillaume's, which is almost the same system. Possibly the Sarum speaker cables were fairly new? (Not wishing to provoke a cable argument but these cables do seem to have a bit of harsh edge for a long time).

Wish I'd heard the Phantoms in the smaller room Sad
(17-Jul-2015, 12:09)Rufus McDufus Wrote: Wish I'd heard the Phantoms in the smaller room Sad

Yeah, same here...

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(17-Jul-2015, 12:14)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(17-Jul-2015, 12:09)Rufus McDufus Wrote: Wish I'd heard the Phantoms in the smaller room Sad

Yeah, same here...

Guillaume

I have to agree with NickB.  In the smaller demo room they simply sounded far more balanced.  With a couple of tracks, quite remarkable.  They didn't quite implode the Sasha's though....

Re the Sasha SAM issues, it looks like Devialet are still tweaking firmware re SAM 2 implementation, see the 8.1.2 thread ....