Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bi-directional USB problem
I'm hoping that someone can come up with an idea to help me with a problem I have found when trying to use my Devialet 200 to digitise my lps.
I have a Xerxes deck with Tabriz Zi arm and Koetsu Black K cartridge. The amp works fine with the deck when playing lps for listening. But when I try to digitise an Lp using the bi-dir usb outlet, with audacity on a MacBook Pro, no signal is shown and no sound recorded. I have been in touch with Devialet by email, but apart from asking what I am doing and checking the obvious, they have not come up with any ideas for a solution. Now they've started asking questions they have asked before - and we're just going round in circles. I have previously sent them a detailed description of what I have done with screen caps ... And a copy of the config file. Now they want me to video the process!
The dealer I bought the amp from doesn't want to know ... just advised that I would have to be patient with Devialet as this is the way they work. It's been weeks and I'm no further forward.
I have followed the instructions in the bi-dir guidance document closely (the input of the Mac and I. Audacity have been set correctly). 
I have tried recording with both phono and USB as the source on the Devialet. I've tried altering the volume setting on the Devialet. This week, I installed audacity on a windows laptop to see if there was a problem with the Mac ... Same result: no signal shown on the audacity display and a silent file recorded.Has anyone had a similar issue ... does anyone have any ideas?
Sounds a bit strange, for sure. I had no problems when I tried this a while back.

Just to be clear, are you selecting the "Devialet USB Audio 2.0" device as the input device when recording? It's possible that the device name varies with different firmware on the Devialet (I use 7.1.3 currently).

Sorry, I'm sure that's of no help.

Have you tried firing up the OS X System Information tool to see what's been enumerated on the USB? Maybe post a snapshot of the device tree.

One silly suggestion: have you tried using a different USB cable? You never know...
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(08-Jul-2015, 20:38)thumb5 Wrote: Sounds a bit strange, for sure.  I had no problems when I tried this a while back.

Just to be clear, are you selecting the "Devialet USB Audio 2.0" device as the input device when recording?  It's possible that the device name varies with different firmware on the Devialet (I use 7.1.3 currently).

Sorry, I'm sure that's of no help.

Have you tried firing up the OS X System Information tool to see what's been enumerated on the USB?  Maybe post a snapshot of the device tree.

One silly suggestion: have you tried using a different USB cable?  You never know...
Yes ... I have been selecting that input device. As its taken so long to (not) resolve, I have also tried it with the latest firmware version (8.1.2) and the previous one 7.1.something.
OK, that at least means the Mac is enumerating the Devialet and recognising it as the right kind of USB audio device.

When you record in Audacity does the cursor advance to the right, creating a recording that contains data (samples) but plays back as silent, or does it just sit there doing nothing?

Oh, I just noticed you said "silent file recorded" in your post, so I guess that means a file of non-zero length. In which case it sounds like the USB interface is transferring data into Audacity but it's not carrying the signal from the phono stage. Need to have a think about what that could mean...
Warwickshire, UK
On another tack: could your dealer be persuaded to let you try recording from another D200 either on loan or at their place (take your computer along)? I wonder whether there's actually a fault in yours, unlikely as it may be.

The only other thing I can think of at the moment is to try enabling the preamp output on either or both of the RCA connectors labelled "Digital" in the configurator. I don't remember seeing anything to suggest that's required, but I suppose the same pre-amp output would be delivered via the USB so perhaps it's a long shot worth trying. (I have a mono, analog pre-amp out configured to drive a sub-woofer.)
Warwickshire, UK
Thanks for your help. I will try another USB cable ... One of the things devialet have not suggested. Next, I'll go to the dealer and try options there. If there is no luck, I'll ask for a replacement (or failing that a repair). Have just read another thread on this forum about Devialets after sales service and it has scared me to death! I think the comment the dealer made about patience may be worth bearing in mind. Outrageous for a product pitched at this level and at this price. We'll see how it goes.
Hi, I have had the same problem, not being able to record, however my experience with both my dealer, Hi-Fi Lounge, and Devialet has been exceptionally good. My dealer tested my amps (D400) at his place and got the same results, so the units were sent back to Devialet who tested the units, found the problem and fixed it, all working perfectly now. If you haven't done so already, get your amp back to Devialet, they now know how to fix your problem.
Mike.
(27-Sep-2015, 08:33)Mike Turner Wrote: Hi, I have had the same problem, not being able to record, however my experience with both my dealer, Hi-Fi Lounge, and Devialet has been exceptionally good. My dealer tested my amps (D400) at his place and got the same results, so the units were sent back to Devialet who tested the units, found the problem and fixed it, all working perfectly now. If you haven't done so already, get your amp back to Devialet, they now know how to fix your problem.
Mike.

Hi, after an immensely long and frustrating email chain - and numerous requests to perform some fairly pointless tests, Devialet support finally agreed that there must be something wrong. So they eventually arranged for my amp to be shipped back to Paris - and after some investigative work, changed one of the circuit boards.They hadn't worked out what was wrong (apparently it's a very unusual fault(?)) ... they thought is was probably a software issue. It's back now and working ok ... but 6 months is an awfully long time to take to resolve something. And the dealer: when I contacted him again he said: why didn't you come to me if you weren't happy (after telling to me to take it up with Devialet support when I did contact him). Go figure.
(27-Sep-2015, 21:12)Chris L Wrote:
(27-Sep-2015, 08:33)Mike Turner Wrote: Hi, I have had the same problem, not being able to record, however my experience with both my dealer, Hi-Fi Lounge, and Devialet has been exceptionally good. My dealer tested my amps (D400) at his place and got the same results, so the units were sent back to Devialet who tested the units, found the problem and fixed it, all working perfectly now. If you haven't done so already, get your amp back to Devialet, they now know how to fix your problem.
Mike.

Hi, after an immensely long and frustrating email chain - and numerous requests to perform some fairly pointless tests, Devialet support finally agreed that there must be something wrong. So they eventually arranged for my amp to be shipped back to Paris - and after some investigative work, changed one of the circuit boards.They hadn't worked out what was wrong (apparently it's a very unusual fault(?)) ... they thought is was probably a software issue. It's back now and working ok ... but 6 months is an awfully long time to take to resolve something. And the dealer: when I contacted him again he said: why didn't you come to me if you weren't happy (after telling to me to take it up with Devialet support when I did contact him). Go figure.
6 MONTHS!!?? That bloody outrageous!  Huh Huh Huh
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
Hi Chris L
Now that you can record vinyl perhaps you could help me with a problem. How do you control the volume when making a recording? with the D-Premier there was a choice of "variable or fixed" volume, variable meant that the volume was controlled with the handset volume control. At the moment I do not have that choice and the fixed volume means that the recording is "clipping"???? can you help? Mike.