Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Jplay
(25-Oct-2014, 09:56)Antoine Wrote: Nice Morten! Smile

I'm still using the UltraStream engine but increased the ultrabuffer from 25 to 30 because sometimes I heard a very small crackle/pop, as if a sample was dropped, it's now working perfectly. Haven't tried the Xstream engine yet.

Hello Antoine,
on the Jplay forum, Josef wrote : "UltraStream uses UDP protocol which does not guarantee delivery – other engines use TCP which does (='lost packets' are automatically re-sent)".
  Before reading this, I did not understand why I heard sometimes a very small crakle/pop but no error was detected by the Thesycon spy tool (everything was set to minimum : minimum latency under 'buffer settings' in the control panel tool, directlink under jplay settings). When I tried ultrabuffer = 10, I had more crackles/pops, but how to be sure to have no crackle at all with a greater value of ultrabuffer ?
  When I used only one computer, I tried the other Jplay engines, and each time I had a crackle, it was detected by the spy tool.
With UltraStream, a packet can be lost, but there is no way to detect it.
  So I don't use UltraStream anymore.
On my system, only River and Beach are possible to keep minimum latency under 'buffer settings', with XStream, errors are detected (I can have XtreamSize = 5000, the maximum possible).
  I did not hear a loss in sound quality with those engines, could not determine which one sounds "best".
Of course, other users with another system could have a different experience.
  Best regards,
Sylvain

Devialet 800, Focal Utopia Diva (SAM), Roon 1.3 (build 242, Devialet Air in Roon) + Audio PC (customized Windows 10) + Android app
France