Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom reviwed in August Hi-Fi Choice
You should see HiFi World Magazine - about 9/10 reviews end with the grading:
"Outstanding - Amongst the Best"
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
(12-Jul-2015, 18:46)f1eng Wrote:
(12-Jul-2015, 14:34)MountainGuy Wrote:
(12-Jul-2015, 10:10)Confused Wrote: I often find that after reading extensively about a product in hi fi magazines and myself forming a particular view on a product, when I finally get to hear for myself I wonder what on earth the reviewers were listening to, my ears telling me something very different to the viewers words.  I'll reserve judgment on the Phantom until I have had a chance for a decent listen myself, which will be next Wednesday as it happens at OAC's dealer launch.  I know that a number of people planning to visit this event do have what could be broadly termed "$50,000 systems" (and at least one individual, considerably more than that!)  Should be interesting!

Thanks.  I would love to hear your thoughts after your audition.  Of all user reviews, none have taken issue with the clean, tight bass.  It's the mids that some feel falls short. Love to hear yours. 

By the way, how did it compare with the Naim and Dynaudio actives in the HifiChoice review?

Thanks,
UL

PMFJI I have had silver Phantoms for 4 months now and have experience of the Naim Muso which I quite like. If I score my main system as 10 the Phantoms are a good 9 and the Naim Muso around 3.

I've only heard the Muso in a different room so my view is not as informed as Frank's but I'd rate it in the 2 - 4 points range ... and like Frank if my main system is rated 10 then I'd rate the Phantom at 9. Remarkable. 

It would be interesting to hook up some KEF LS50s (c.£800) to an Expert 800 (c.£20k) and see how that stacks up against a pair of Silver Phantoms (c.£3.5k).

And whilst HFChoice scores them highly it seems to be standard journalist practice these days to rate just about everything highly and to compare with just about nothing.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
I found that the MuSo had a pleasing 'creaminess', in comparison to the more neutral Devialet house sound. Don't know if that's generally the case with Naim... the times I've been exposed to their equipment (when they deign to attend HiFi Shows) is that their bass is a bit "twangy" like a rubber band. Probably what helps with their rhythmic drive... but in a slightly artificial way, like a sprinter wearing springs on the soles of their shoes (Ooo! idea for Paul Simon)
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
(14-Jul-2015, 11:25)IanG-UK Wrote:
(12-Jul-2015, 10:10)Confused Wrote: I often find that after reading extensively about a product in hi fi magazines and myself forming a particular view on a product, when I finally get to hear for myself I wonder what on earth the reviewers were listening to, my ears telling me something very different to the viewers words.  I'll reserve judgment on the Phantom until I have had a chance for a decent listen myself, which will be next Wednesday as it happens at OAC's dealer launch.  I know that a number of people planning to visit this event do have what could be broadly termed "$50,000 systems" (and at least one individual, considerably more than that!)  Should be interesting!

Thanks.  I would love to hear your thoughts after your audition.  Of all user reviews, none have taken issue with the clean, tight bass.  It's the mids that some feel falls short. Love to hear yours. 

By the way, how did it compare with the Naim and Dynaudio actives in the HifiChoice review?

Thanks,
UL

PMFJI I have had silver Phantoms for 4 months now and have experience of the Naim Muso which I quite like. If I score my main system as 10 the Phantoms are a good 9 and the Naim Muso around 3.

I've only heard the Muso in a different room so my view is not as informed as Frank's but I'd rate it in the 2 - 4 points range ... and like Frank if my main system is rated 10 then I'd rate the Phantom at 9. Remarkable. 

It would be interesting to hook up some KEF LS50s (c.£800) to an Expert 800 (c.£20k) and see how that stacks up against a pair of Silver Phantoms (c.£3.5k).

And whilst HFChoice scores them highly it seems to be standard journalist practice these days to rate just about everything highly and to compare with just about nothing.

Ian I will do the LS50/800 compared to silver Phantom once I get the branch stands (since I am using the stands the LS50s normally go on for the Phantoms so far).
I would guess the Phantoms will win.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(14-Jul-2015, 16:42)f1eng Wrote:

Thanks,
UL

Ian I will do the LS50/800 compared to silver Phantom once I get the branch stands (since I am using the stands the LS50s normally go on for the Phantoms so far).

Hi Praise from F1! Thank you,
(14-Jul-2015, 16:42)f1eng Wrote:

Thanks,
UL

Found the review on Devialet website:
http://fr.devialet.com/assets/PHANTOMCLI...nt-LOW.pdf