Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Streaming users... a suggestion...
Hi all,

If you are using a PC/Mac and AIR with your Devialet, just try the following "free" tweak.

Select a test track you like, preferably with some complex musical passages. And play it.
Plug a USB thumb drive to your computer.
Probably you are using either FLAC or ALAC (in case of MAC).
Copy that same file to the external drive and play it from there.
Next, create a WAV version of the same file, put it on the external thumb drive and play it from there.
See if you hear any difference. Best, play them back to back.

For Mac users, if you do not have xld etc, Itunes can do this by selecting import format as Wav and right clicking on the file to say "create wav version".
For PC/Flac users, the free FLAC.exe you can find on the internet does this by "flac.exe -d" command.

I use Audirvana+ to play FLAC files from MAC by the way.

Instead of the thumb drive, if you have an external HDD, it is even better.

I don't know what the effect will be on D2D/Network players like Moon MiND.

Please report back what you hear...

Happy listenning

Kunter
Kii Three, dCS Network Bridge, Roon Nucleus, Kuzma (Stabi S, 4Point), Soundsmith StrainGauge, Stromtank, Echole Cables 
Istanbul, Turkey
@Kunter - I know some Jriver users selection the option to play from memory, which perhaps provides another variation from your suggestions above? Also, I presume you mean to create a WAV file from the original source? (i.e. burn WAV direct from cd?) Or do you mean create a WAV from the FLAC?
(15-Jul-2014, 12:43)Confused Wrote: Also, I presume you mean to create a WAV file from the original source? (i.e. burn WAV direct from cd?) Or do you mean create a WAV from the FLAC?

It doesn't matter which one you do. The end result is exactly the same.
(15-Jul-2014, 13:32)jjo Wrote:
(15-Jul-2014, 12:43)Confused Wrote: Also, I presume you mean to create a WAV file from the original source? (i.e. burn WAV direct from cd?) Or do you mean create a WAV from the FLAC?

It doesn't matter which one you do. The end result is exactly the same.

Ummmm.... Yes, of course it is! Perhaps half thinking about creating a WAV from an ALAC, which is clearly a bit silly. Also half thinking about what mr @Kunter is up to here.... I guess all will be revealed in time.
(15-Jul-2014, 18:08)Confused Wrote: Also half thinking about what mr @Kunter is up to here.... I guess all will be revealed in time.
I guess the beef here is that larger files create more of an I/O load where as compressed files create more of a CPU load while decompressing. Can it make a difference? Does it make a difference?
Easy to try...

I mean just create the Wav from your FLAC or ALAC file.

And try...

Who knows? Smile

And later copy the file to the external disk...

I agree, data wise they are exactly the same...

Please report back "after" you tried these...

Try to select some music with some nice recording, ambience, etc.

Cheers...

Kunter
Kii Three, dCS Network Bridge, Roon Nucleus, Kuzma (Stabi S, 4Point), Soundsmith StrainGauge, Stromtank, Echole Cables 
Istanbul, Turkey
what about AIFF? and FLAC at 0 compression?
(16-Jul-2014, 05:06)warpeon Wrote: what about AIFF? and FLAC at 0 compression?

I have played around with these as well and will chime in once couple of others express experience.

What is most interesting to me is "where the file is" can matter?

Cheers...
Istanbul, Turkey
Its a known tweak from the Naim streamer forum,take your flac and packing it out as wav on the fly

Some then clame a "big"diffrens in sound when playing it trough the streamer

Funny if it works Smile
Roon Nuceleus + Core/Tidal > Rood Ready wired ethernet > Keces P8 LPS > EtherRegan switch > D250 PRO > Sonus Faber Cremona M
Nordost Frey 2 Power cable - Blue Jeans Speaker Cables - Audioquest Diamond and Supra cat8 ethernet cables
Other: Ipad air with ROON Control / Pro Ject ground base - ISO Acoustics Orea - Herbie Tenderfoots 
"and those who were seen dancing were thougt to be insane by those who could not hear the music"

"and those who were seen dancing were thougt to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
Just so I'm clear here, all of my music is on a 1tb external hard drive. I like to keep my music files separate from all the other Windows nonsense that my PC's internal drive is subjected to. I do have a back up copy on the PC's internal drive (just in case), as well as a second back up on another 1tb external (just in case again).

So to do this test am I correct in thinking that I need to try WAV / FLAC from the internal drive, then again WAV / FLAC from the external drive? Perhaps I've missed the point here!