Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chrome stripping
If they're in contact with the Devialet underside directly there's no doubt they'll get warm very quickly. Before I got mine wall-mounted even my desktop would get toasty after 30 minutes or so sitting on its silicone feet which are insulated via the silicone pads and white plastic cups. Migration & radiation is the only option for shedding heat available to the Devialet. I should mention if your isolation parts are 'points' and have receiver cups beneath them they won't transfer much heat into the cups due to reduced surface area at the contact point.
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
On the D-Premier the principal route for heat flux from the hot bits of the internals was to the baseplate via the thermally conductive pads bonding them to the baseplates.
In the instructions on fitting the wifi boards (I bought mine before these were available and fitted them myself) there was clear instruction on the importance of making sure this thermal pad was well in contact with the baseplate when re-fitting it.
If a Devialet amp is reported to be running hotter than expected this is the first thing Devialet check, since some updates and replacement boards have been fitted by less than knowledgeable repair technicians and I understand that the hot running has so far always been because the base has been replaced without good area contact to the thermal pad.

One would expect a vertically mounted unit to run cooler than horizontal but the difference is minimal IME (one of mine is on a shelf, the other on a stand so I can see the display)

Of the 3 methods of heat transfer, radiation, conduction and convection, radiation is of negligible influence at the temperatures we are discussing. All heat will be lost externally by convection from the case but all heat transfer inside the amp will be by conduction.

The general circuit topology of the Devialet does not generate much heat, which is why no fins are needed.
On top of this, the temperature is one of the things managed in the DSP of the ADH amplifier, so the temperature depends more on which firmware and settings one is using than anything physical.

My guess is that the reason my vertical and horizontal amps run at the same temp is because it is being managed by the firmware, not that the overall cooling is the same (the vertical amp must be losing more heat to the air if its surface temp is the same)
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire