Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chrome stripping
Confused-

That post wasn't aimed at PhilP but those who insist on continuing to harp on a decision previously made and questioning the wisdom of it out loud. I find him sensible, articulate, polite and congenial. But you see these comparisons onesie-twosie directed elsewhere, in passing. I see them daily aimed at me. I set myself up for it to be sure andI can take it but sheesh guys, let it go already! If I could find the benefit of it this long after the fact I'd encourage it myself but fail to see what good can come from it, today, tomorrow or forever. Spilled milk! I understand few, if any here would ever attempt it. I get that! But sometimes, the way its worded, just like the post I'm defending, comes off edgy or less than kind and I can be as guilty of that as anyone.

And what I'm doing Devialet-wise is right up your alley and steeped heavily in years of automotive tweaks. Nothing very electronic juju at all. Just simple mechanics.
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
(05-Aug-2015, 14:57)Hexen Wrote: I have my D200 standing on Nordost sort kones 
[Image: sort%20kone%20tc%20large_550.png]
and my temp never goes over 40c at the moment i have
A 38c
D 37c
S 39c

Hexen - curious how you like the Sort Kones?  are you using 3 or 4?  

(sorry for the thread tangent)

Thx
Kenreau
Synology DS412+> Aurender S10> AQ Wel AES > Devialet 200> AQ Castle Rock Bi-Wired > Vandersteen 5As.
A 38c
D 37c
S 39c

I use other devices to elevate my 200 1" and get temperatures in the 50c range
(06-Aug-2015, 21:54)kenreau Wrote:
A 38c
D 37c
S 39c

Hexen - curious how you like the Sort Kones?  are you using 3 or 4?  

(sorry for the thread tangent)

Thx
Kenreau
I am using 3 of them 2 at the back and 1 at the front, i primarily bought them to be able to get my speaker cables to fit since they are relay stiff. In my opinion they works great, its hard for me to explain exactly what they do but i think they open up the sound stage a bit and the background got quieter. And of course it docent hurt to give the air a better chanse to circulate.

(you have to excuse if its hard to understand what i mean english isn't my first language )

Robin
Qnap Ts-451 -> Auralic Aries->Wireworld Digital Gold Starlight 7 xlr -> Devialet 200 -> Purist Audio Design Venustas -> Sonus faber Cremona M
Sadly there's not much chance of any enhanced cooling effect whatsoever that can happen as a result of raising the Devialet higher even if highly efficient thermally conductive feet, like copper or aluminum (stainless would be VERY bad here) were used. The reason of course is that 1.) all heat-generating digital, analog & DAC PCB's and PSU are well-above the lower cover 2.) heat rises 3.) the unit is almost totally sealed from below 4.) no chance for any convection cooling effects due to increased circulation if present 'under' the unit. Even a high CFM fan below the unit blowing upwards couldn't offer much in the way of a measurable cooling effect. I've often wondered if even setting the Devialet slightly above or directly on a block of ice could reduce temps on the GUI. It certainly can't be presumed or guaranteed!
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
(07-Aug-2015, 12:56)Manoet Wrote: Sadly there's not much chance of any enhanced cooling effect whatsoever that can happen as a result of raising the Devialet higher even if highly efficient thermally conductive feet, like copper or aluminum (stainless would be VERY bad here) were used. The reason of course is that 1.) all heat-generating digital, analog & DAC PCB's and PSU are well-above the lower cover 2.) heat rises 3.) the unit is almost totally sealed from below 4.) no chance for any convection cooling effects due to increased circulation if present 'under' the unit. Even a high CFM fan below the unit blowing upwards couldn't offer much in the way of a measurable cooling effect. I've often wondered if even setting the Devialet slightly above or directly on a block of ice could reduce temps on the GUI. It certainly can't be presumed or guaranteed!

Manoet,

I have to dispute some of your logic while agreeing with your observation that raising the unit does not significantly decrease temperature.  I proved that.

Heat does not rise.  Hot air rises. The bottom of a Devialet 200 or companion gets very warm through conduction. That being physical contact with parts.  Maybe there is very little contact.  You would know better than me because you performed an autopsy. How much contact is there either directly or via standoffs?

Since air is essentially trapped inside a Devialet it could be argued that there is also heat conduction via contact with trapped (emphasis trapped) air although hot air is generally thought to rise and heat transfer via air is considered to be via a fluid and therefore termed convection. I won't argue that point because I understand the logic. Regardless, it is obvious the bottom gets very warm through some method of heat transfer.  

My reason for using isolation devices was threefold.
1. Reduce temperature--essentially that failed
2. Provide isolation from vibrations.  I am not sure how successful that was. It certainly did no harm.
3. Provide additional space to facilitate connecting the power cord and speaker cables.  That was a success and worth the effort for that alone.

You said stainless steel was bad.  Why? Is the heat transfer value less? The next devices I am considering are SS.

I wish you the best of luck with your project.  Please continue to report and post pictures.
I stand corrected, "hot air" not heat rises tho it's the 'heat mirage' not "hot air mirage" I see on the highway in the desert and it's certainly rising! ;-) I make no assertions or value-statements as to why one chooses to do what they do with isolation/decoupling devices. Use them myself and have 20 or so sets of 3 and/or 4 around at all times but haven't gotten that far along with Devialet yet and likely won't due to wall-mounting. My next forum topic scheduled within the hour will start to scratch the surface on dissection of Devialet's approach and some options there.
Manoet, Why do you recommend avoiding SS isolation devices?
I'm sorry, I forgot to answer initially. Actually they're fine for isolation but HORRIBLE for heat migration, transfer, dissipation, shedding etc. I can cut 2" long strips from 1" wide X .125" thick stock with a torch and hold them in my bare hand from 2" away.... Never even gets warm! If I were to try that with aluminum the skin wouldn't even bother to blister... just liquify, curl up, peel away and slough off. Truly terrible for heat (or is that hot air) migration. ;-)
(07-Aug-2015, 18:40)Manoet Wrote: I'm sorry, I forgot to answer initially. Actually they're fine for isolation but HORRIBLE for heat migration, transfer, shedding etc. I can cut 2" long strips from 1" wide X .125" thick stock with a torch and hold them in my hand from 2" away.... Never even gets warm! If I were to try that with aluminum the skin wouldn't even bother to blister... just peel away. Truly terrible for heat (or is that hot air) migration. ;-)

Next time I have my Devialet 200 on I will touch the aluminum isolation devices I am using to see if they are warm. Very curious. The contact area is small -- 3/4" circle on each one.