Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Devialet Isolation Feet...
    I know there's been some problems with OEM isolation feet and since I have to remove mine for stripping, media blasting and anodizing I thought I'd dwell there awhile and see if there might be an option to returning to Devialet or dealer in the event of failure.

Pic contains as much visual info as I could cram into a single pic. Shore A&D Durometer gauges for measuring OEM feet Shore durometer hardness. Feet separated from the backing and the slot covers behind wall-mount screws and their method for mating to each other in right side up & upside down arrangement. And sizes of things for those that 'might' choose an option to the OEM with & without convection inlets.

OEM feet are silicone rather than any kind of rubber. Major inset relief diameter cast into belly pan is 21mm ID. White insert ID is 18mm. This means one could choose an alternate foot like sorbothane or a taller urethane cone foot as I have pictured and 3/4" or 19mm or less OD if mounting directly to metal. However only 18mm or less if white plastic cups are retained/used. The cone in pic will net a 16mm increase in height if mounted directly to aluminum and ~3mm more if mounted to white insert cup after OEM is removed.

Banjo piece (named bt me for their shape) must be retained/used if OEM white cups are used however can be removed with alternate feet mounted to white cups and white cups glued into the relief. Mounting direct to metal eliminates need for banjo pieces and "might" offer slight convection advantages thru air inlets under wall-mounting screw reliefs. Banjo pieces can be used without white cups if new feet are mounted to metal and have had some center material removed from replacement feet tho the 'banjos' will then have to be glued into place as its the mating cast clips in the bottom of the white cup above that secure them in place. If white cups are missing there's nothing for the banjos to clip to.

OEM feet can 'stick' to their mounting surface below the Devialet and tear when attempt to move or 'slide' unit is made. They're very fragile! Silicone grease, oil or spray offers some relief but should NEVER be used on a porous surface due to risk of staining. Devialet should N-E-V-E-R be pushed or slid under its own weight as the soft silicone feet can be easily rolled over and torn or shredded away from their white cups. Always lift & move unit/never slide!

I'm sure I'm missing a lot. And while this sounds overly complicated its not at all. But there's lots of options and they become remarkably revealing once you go inside. If you have questions, feel free to ask and if I don't know the answer I'll try my best to find out while everything's apart.
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
(07-Aug-2015, 16:50)Manoet Wrote: I know there's been some problems with OEM isolation feet and since I have to remove mine for stripping, media blasting and anodizing I thought I'd dwell there awhile and see if there might be an option to returning to Devialet or dealer in the event of failure.

Pic contains as much visual info as I could cram into a single pic. Shore A&D Durometer gauges for measuring OEM feet hardness. Feet separated from the backing and the slot covers behind wall-mount screws and their method for mating to each other in right side up & upside down arrangement. And sizes of things for those that 'might' choose an option to the OEM with & without convection inlets.

OEM feet are silicone. Major inset relief diameter cast into belly pan is 21mm ID. White insert ID is 18mm. This means one could choose an alternate foot like sorbethane or a taller urethane cone foot as I have pictured and 3/4" or 19mm or less OD if mounting directly to metal. However only 18mm or less if white plastic cups are retained/used. The cone in pic will net a 16mm increase in height if mounted directly to aluminum and ~3mm more if mounted to white insert cup after OEM is removed.

Banjo piece must be retained/used if OEM white cups are used however can be removed with alternate feet mounted to white cups and white cups glued into the relief. Mounting direct to metal eliminates need for banjo pieces and "might" offer slight convection advantages thru air inlets under wall-mounting screw reliefs. Banjo pieces can be used without white cups if new feet are mounted to metal and have had some center material removed from replacement feet tho the 'banjos' will then have to be glued into place as its the mating cast clips in the bottom of the white cup above that secure them in place. If white cups are missing there's nothing for the banjos to clip to.

OEM feet can 'stick' to their mounting surface below the Devialet and tear when attempt to remove or 'slide' unit is made. They're very fragile! Silicone paste, oil or spray offers some relief but should NEVER be used on a porous surface due to risk of staining. Devialet should N-E-V-E-R be pushed or slid under its own weight as the soft silicone feet can be easily rolled over and torn or shredded shredded away from their white cups. Always lift & move unit!

I'm sure I'm missing a lot. And while this sounds overly complicated its not at all. But there's lots of options and they become remarkably revealing once you go inside. If you have questions, feel free to ask and if I don't know the answer I'll try my best to find out while everything's apart.
Manoet,

I like your approach, keep it up! 

Me, Guillaume et al had fantastic results using Ansuz ceramic ball feet under D800 at our D800 vs Aavik. These feet however expensive really showed well worth gains in SQ. The feet we tested was the middle offer ie 'Ceramic' (3 feet (or pucks) under the D800).
I am pretty sure better gains could be had if these feet could decouple more directly (not the plastic under cover) to the metal/main chassi/board.

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
Thanks Mike! And just so ya know the belly pan is aluminum (cast), not plastic. Promise!
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
(07-Aug-2015, 17:31)Manoet Wrote: Thanks Mike! And just so ya know the belly pan is aluminum, not plastic. Promise!

No way, really, it feels so plastic! Well it is good news and may also explain why we had good results with the Ansuz feet.

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
Yep, it fooled me too! I had to take it apart to convince myself. Felt a lot better as mine sits on Stillpoints (just sits, not connected in any way) and I always worried they wouldn't have much effect if the belly cover was plastic. I'm not utterly convinced Stillpoints make a huge difference by the way, though I've heard a few other people think they do.
(07-Aug-2015, 18:13)Rufus McDufus Wrote: I'm not utterly convinced Stillpoints make a huge difference by the way, though I've heard a few other people think they do.

It's interesting but based on what I heard at the Swedish demo I would say that the Ansuz Ceramic pucks had a far greater effect. I was actually really surprised. I've previously experimented with Stillpoints here but didn't think it made enough of a positive change to justify the expenditure. The Ansuz on the other hand seem to really effect the lower registers in a more obvious "night and day" way, a bit like turning SAM on! I believe many present on the day have since placed orders. I am still sorely tempted.  Tongue

I've heard the Stillpoints making a big difference so I know they do work. This was with a Vitus SIA-025 amp which I had on an extended home dem. With the Stillpoints there was a considerable improvement in the bass: grip, texture etc.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(07-Aug-2015, 17:31)Manoet Wrote: Thanks Mike! And just so ya know the belly pan is aluminum (cast), not plastic. Promise!

Manoet,  Thank you for that very useful information.  That makes me feel a lot more comfortable using isolation feet.
manoet, ive read elsewhere that sorbathane is actually not good for feet! ill try find the info if possible
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)
Thanks and no worries. I never use em... was just a recommendation. S'why I have that big 100 count bag of urethane cones which are incredibly good for the price and on some components best my favorite Symposium Acoustics Rollerblock HDSE Jrs with tungsten balls. So you gonna break out the Tweakends thread or just horde it and never use it!?!

;-)
Anybody know a source to purchase the Ansuz in the US? I searched for Ansuz and Darkz but can't find a place to purchase.