Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet 110 What Hifi review
(16-Feb-2015, 17:36)Eddye Wrote:
(16-Feb-2015, 11:44)Rufus McDufus Wrote: I do think my D200 is not great at low volumes.  Normal listening volume for me is when the display is indicating around -10 to -15dB dB with my Raidhos which are 88dB sensitivity 2.83V/m but there is a fairly clear threshold between which it's poor and when it's good.
I'm surprised Jean-Marie that your indicated volume is so different for same-spec (interms of sensitivity figures) speakers. And I don't like it very loud!  - [edit] sorry I misread your post, but I can barely hear it at -40dB!
The psycho-acoustic explanation seems quite plausible. Also perhaps room interactions at lower volumes?

Wow, my B&W's have the exact same sensitivity (88dB spl (2.83V, 1m)), and I rarely play above -32dB. When I listen to my turntable I have to turn up the volume a bit to max -24dB. Perhaps your listening position is farther away?

Yup, that surprised me too: my speakers are specified as 86.5 dB/W at 1m and I normally listen to digital sources with the volume control in the range -40 to -30 dB, sometimes -20 dB for head banging.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
So, does anyone know whether reducing power in the configurator only influences the volume knob i.e. at a full turn it will got to let's say 75% of volume when the power output in configurator is reduced for 25% or it will have any impact to sound quality?
(16-Feb-2015, 17:49)thumb5 Wrote:
(16-Feb-2015, 11:44)Rufus McDufus Wrote: I do think my D200 is not great at low volumes.  Normal listening volume for me is when the display is indicating around -10 to -15dB dB with my Raidhos which are 88dB sensitivity 2.83V/m but there is a fairly clear threshold between which it's poor and when it's good.
I'm surprised Jean-Marie that your indicated volume is so different for same-spec (interms of sensitivity figures) speakers. And I don't like it very loud!  - [edit] sorry I misread your post, but I can barely hear it at -40dB!
The psycho-acoustic explanation seems quite plausible. Also perhaps room interactions at lower volumes?

Wow, my B&W's have the exact same sensitivity (88dB spl (2.83V, 1m)), and I rarely play above -32dB. When I listen to my turntable I have to turn up the volume a bit to max -24dB. Perhaps your listening position is farther away?

Yup, that surprised me too: my speakers are specified as 86.5 dB/W at 1m and I normally listen to digital sources with the volume control in the range -40 to -30 dB, sometimes -20 dB for head banging.

My speakers are specified at 89db/W and, depending on recording, general listening is at between -32db and - 24db. I am not allowed head banging - SWMBO won't allow it  Big Grin.
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
(16-Feb-2015, 17:56)brit Wrote:

My speakers are specified at 89db/W and, depending on recording, general listening is at between -32db and - 24db. I am not allowed head banging - SWMBO won't allow it  Big Grin.

SWMBO?

I did try a config which limited the output to 150Watts, I didn't have to turn up the volume as I recall but it was a while ago.
Devialet 200 <> Bowers & Wilkins 805 Diamond <> Aurender N100 <> Clearaudio Concept MC <> Audioquest Rocket 44/Coffee USB

The Netherlands
(16-Feb-2015, 11:49)Rodney Gold Wrote: It makes no difference at what rate the Devialet works , as you attenuate digitally severly, you lose resolution. At some point it becomes audible.

As I understand it, the point that Jean-Marie was making was that if the digital volume control is done using 40-bit maths, it should have more than enough dynamic range to prevent any audible loss of resolution over the useful range of a volume control.  Assuming 16 bits is enough for normal music reproduction and you need (say) 10 or so bits for a volume control going from -60 dB to 0 dB, a 40-bit calculation should have plenty of headroom, shouldn't it?
Warwickshire, UK
(16-Feb-2015, 18:02)Eddye Wrote:
(16-Feb-2015, 17:56)brit Wrote:

SWMBO?

I did try a config which limited the output to 150Watts, I didn't have to turn up the volume as I recall but it was a while ago.
She Who Must Be Obeyed!
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
I have a confession to make here - my D200 is actually on its way back to Devialet with a potential fault. It's very possible the higher volumes I need (anything up to +10 dB recently!) are actually the result of a fault with the unit, possibly a faulty Class D section. It's good to hear people have much lower volumes set as it confirms my feeling that something is not quite right.
(16-Feb-2015, 18:02)Eddye Wrote: I did try a config which limited the output to 150Watts, I didn't have to turn up the volume as I recall but it was a while ago.

I've just pinged a support request to Devialet to ask them exactly what effect the "max power" configuration has on the behaviour of the amplifier.  For what it's worth, my guess is that it doesn't change the gain of the amplifier and only has an effect when the input level would make the output level exceed the maximum power.  In which case I'm struggling to see how it can possibly affect the sound quality at low volumes.  (To be quite brutal, the idea that the Devialets suffer from lack of detail at low volume that can be "cured" by reducing the max power seems to me to be a myth that's been propagated by repetition but has no real substance.)
Warwickshire, UK
(16-Feb-2015, 18:29)Rufus McDufus Wrote: I have a confession to make here - my D200 is actually on its way back to Devialet with a potential fault. It's very possible the higher volumes I need (anything up to +10 dB recently!) are actually the result of a fault with the unit, possibly a faulty Class D section.   It's good to hear people have much lower volumes set as it confirms my feeling that something is not quite right.

Let's not forget the wetware: People differ in their hearing abilities, which obviously has implications for volume settings. So please add your audiograms. Make this a gallery.   Tongue
(16-Feb-2015, 18:33)thumb5 Wrote:
(16-Feb-2015, 18:02)Eddye Wrote: I did try a config which limited the output to 150Watts, I didn't have to turn up the volume as I recall but it was a while ago.

I've just pinged a support request to Devialet to ask them exactly what effect the "max power" configuration has on the behaviour of the amplifier.  For what it's worth, my guess is that it doesn't change the gain of the amplifier and only has an effect when the input level would make the output level exceed the maximum power.  In which case I'm struggling to see how it can possibly affect the sound quality at low volumes.  (To be quite brutal, the idea that the Devialets suffer from lack of detail at low volume that can be "cured" by reducing the max power seems to me to be a myth that's been propagated by repetition but has no real substance.)

I'm just now wondering if the lack of resolution (detail) isn't simply due to physics and human hearing?
Devialet 200 <> Bowers & Wilkins 805 Diamond <> Aurender N100 <> Clearaudio Concept MC <> Audioquest Rocket 44/Coffee USB

The Netherlands