Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SAM plus SUB(s)
I know that using a subwoofer with SAM activated is not ideal since the sub will be getting a signal that has been processed to suit the main speakers.

However, I am very happy with the results that I'm getting using Magico S1 speakers, SAM and a Paradigm Reference 12 subwoofer.
I feed the sub a second order low pass filtered signal set at 45Hz. Yet to experiment with the order of filtering and low pass cut-off point mainly because it is too fiddly and time consuming.
If only these adjustments could be made on the fly.

The Paradigm "Perfect Bass Kit" tells me that, in my room, below 50Hz the frequency response is boosted by 2-3 dB in a nearly flat fashion.
I don't use the PBK correction. I prefer the uncorrected response with the subs volume level set slightly lower.

I'm listening to Charlie Haden and Pat Metheny's "Beyond the Missouri Sky" (16/44 FLAC) and with the sub on there is, of course, greater heft and depth to the lower frequencies but also greater depth and width to the sound stage. The Magico S1's have VERY tight and tuneful bass response, the sub less so but still highly musical. There is no glaring problem with integration between the two.

Most of the time you don't even notice that the sub is on but you sure do notice when you turn it off
D200, Magico S1's, Antipodes DX
(14-Aug-2015, 04:33)gray Wrote: I know that using a subwoofer with SAM activated is not ideal since the sub will be getting a signal that has been processed to suit the main speakers.

However, I am very happy with the results that I'm getting using Magico S1 speakers, SAM and a Paradigm Reference 12 subwoofer.
I feed the sub a second order low pass filtered signal set at 45Hz. Yet to experiment with the order of filtering and low pass cut-off point mainly because it is too fiddly and time consuming.
If only these adjustments could be made on the fly.

The Paradigm "Perfect Bass Kit" tells me that, in my room, below 50Hz the frequency response is boosted by 2-3 dB in a nearly flat fashion.
I don't use the PBK correction. I prefer the uncorrected response with the subs volume level set slightly lower.

I'm listening to Charlie Haden and Pat Metheny's "Beyond the Missouri Sky" (16/44 FLAC) and with the sub on there is, of course, greater heft and depth to the lower frequencies but also greater depth and width to the sound stage. The Magico S1's have VERY tight and tuneful bass response, the sub less so but still highly musical. There is no glaring problem with integration between the two.

Most of the time you don't even notice that the sub is on but you sure do notice when you turn it off

I was also playing around with SAM activated in my 2.1 setup over the weekend and was really surprised as to the positive impact to the overall sound stage. Cutting the SW's e.l.f. Trim by approx. 3 db's tightened everything up quite nicely. I have the impression that my mains continue to profit from SAM even with a HP filter at 80Hz.
Kii Three Speakers | JL Audio Fathom Subwoofer  | KEF LS50 Speakers | Samsung 850 Soundbar
Innuos Statement | Trinnov Altitude 32 | PS Audio Stellar S300 Amp | T+A HA 200 Headphone Amplifier | Meze Empyrean Headphones
Sean Jacobs DC-3 Custom Build LPS | Roon Core DIY Server | SOtM sNH-10G Modded Switch | Oppo UDP-205 Blu-Ray/SACD Player
T+A G 2000 R Turntable | DS Audio E1 Optical Stylus | Gordian Lab 12 Power Conditioner | Artesania Audio Rack
It should. Smile SAM, according to the Devialet whitepapers, works up to 150Hz.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(01-Feb-2016, 13:59)Antoine Wrote: It should. Smile SAM, according to the Devialet whitepapers, works up to 150Hz.

Logically yes, but honestly I was surprised that the configurator would even allow this. I seem to remember trying to utilize SAM with a crossover in the past and it wasn't possible. (greyed out)

Do you have SAM activated in your setup when using the F112?
Kii Three Speakers | JL Audio Fathom Subwoofer  | KEF LS50 Speakers | Samsung 850 Soundbar
Innuos Statement | Trinnov Altitude 32 | PS Audio Stellar S300 Amp | T+A HA 200 Headphone Amplifier | Meze Empyrean Headphones
Sean Jacobs DC-3 Custom Build LPS | Roon Core DIY Server | SOtM sNH-10G Modded Switch | Oppo UDP-205 Blu-Ray/SACD Player
T+A G 2000 R Turntable | DS Audio E1 Optical Stylus | Gordian Lab 12 Power Conditioner | Artesania Audio Rack
True, I read it wasn't possible before but some time back this has been changed by Devialet. I read it somewhere else on this forum but can't remember where exactly. Smile

My speakers don't have a SAM profile, too little of these VR-5 SE Anni's are built. Von Schweikert Audio is a relatively small American "boutique brand". Most owners use expensive tube amps with them but I love them with the Devialet. The JL sub is used together with a DSpeaker Anti-Mode DC 2.0 to combat an acoustical issue (standing waves causing too much LF cancellation in my listening position) I haven't been able to defeat using other measures.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands