Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Firmware 7.1.1 Available
What can one do with the bi-directional USB feature? Does it allow for vinyl-to-digital conversion?
Thorens TD-166 MK II, Intel NUC (Streacom fanless case, Windows 10, Audiophile Optimizer, Roon, HQPlayer and Acourate), HDPlex 100W LPSU, Uptone Regen, Devialet 120, Sonus Faber Liuto, GIK Acoustics Bass Traps
(26-Jul-2014, 21:48)pete86 Wrote: What can one do with the bi-directional USB feature? Does it allow for vinyl-to-digital conversion?

It is a bit weird that Devialet doesn't spend a single word on an explanation for this new feature.
When they announced the development of the bi-directional USB in this firmware a few months ago using the Devialet to digitise LPs was the stated reason.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(27-Jul-2014, 15:50)f1eng Wrote: When they announced the development of the bi-directional USB in this firmware a few months ago using the Devialet to digitise LPs was the stated reason.

Sure, but they could have explained how to do that. For example, the Configurator still says USB is an input only. I don't get any signal from the USB port into my laptop.
Just upgraded the firmware. I'm convinced the SQ has improved a little. Just checking the release notes and it says: "Improve latence music between master and companion"...

Be interested to hear if any other dual mono owners can hear a difference.

On the other hand it might just be my Sashas improving!

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Hi Guillaume,
I have the same impression. After moving from a single 250 to a 800 2 weeks ago I had the feeling that the ambiance was somehow degraded. With firmware 7.1.1 it seems to be ok again. But in my case it might be the 2nd 250 improving...

Bernie
(28-Jul-2014, 13:01)Vivialet Wrote: Hi Guillaume,
I have the same impression. After moving from a single 250 to a 800 2 weeks ago I had the feeling that the ambiance was somehow degraded. With firmware 7.1.1 it seems to be ok again. But in my case it might be the 2nd 250 improving...

Bernie

That's quite possible, it's difficult to be sure when there are many moving parts!

I do think there is something better about the new firmware SQ-wise... that's why I'm keen to hear from other dual mono owners.

Also my units appear to be running several degrees running cooler.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
When I updated from D-Premier to 800 the stereo image depth was very considerably worse. In fact I did not consider the 800 to be any sort of upgrade, more a digital update with SQ downgrade, personally.
I reported this to Devialet.
One of the improvements listed in the 7.1.1 software is "Improve latence music between master and companion".
Since the last time I experienced such a loss of stereo imaging was with an Amarra update, and after reporting the problem it was solved in a speedy new update, I thought there may be some sort of digital problem with my 800.
Maybe this will fix it.
I will check next time I have my Goldmund speakers connected. I am using the Animas with the 800s at the moment and, with the best will in the world, horns are not good at stereo image depth.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(27-Jul-2014, 10:54)PeterS Wrote:
(26-Jul-2014, 21:48)pete86 Wrote: What can one do with the bi-directional USB feature? Does it allow for vinyl-to-digital conversion?

It is a bit weird that Devialet doesn't spend a single word on an explanation for this new feature.

There's a tutorial on how to use bi-directional USB for recording (using Audacity) on the Devialet web-site here. I haven't tried it yet.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(28-Jul-2014, 17:27)PhilP Wrote:
(27-Jul-2014, 10:54)PeterS Wrote:

There's a tutorial on how to use bi-directional USB for recording (using Audacity) on the Devialet web-site here. I haven't tried it yet.

I have and for me it doesn't work. I will need to experiment a bit on how to get it working.
I do what the instructions say and when I click ' record' then Audacity records total silence.