Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Audioquest Jitterbug
(23-Aug-2015, 17:30)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(23-Aug-2015, 16:07)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(23-Aug-2015, 16:01)Hifi_swlon Wrote: or my USB cable's too low-end

What USB cable are you using?

Guillaume

The bottom-end Audioquest - the green one.

I've got a Vertere d-fi for my Hugo but it's mini USB so can't compare. Previously I had a Supra USB but sold it after listening and finding no difference to a stock cable.  Have never tried anything higher-end except at the Chord stand at the head-fi show where I was unconvinced (much to the reps disappointment) in changes between cables. But in fairness I did say to them I don't listen to headphones much, wasn't familiar with the music and there was tonnes of background noise from the room. So I'm neither a sceptic or believer, just have never experienced high-end cables directly to see what's what. I can't really justify the cost of a Mac mini on a cable either - for me those funds would be better spent on a new source (if on hifi at all).

If I'm not feeling the love by the end of the week, maybe another local member wants to try them in their system...

Ah ok, that would be Audioquest Forest which should be perfectly adequate. I've got an AQ Carbon that you are welcome to borrow if you want.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(23-Aug-2015, 19:12)GuillaumeB Wrote: Ah ok, that would be Audioquest Forest which should be perfectly adequate. I've got an AQ Carbon that you are welcome to borrow if you want.

Guillaume

Forest, yup, that rings a bell...

That's really kind - if you wouldn't miss it for a few days I'd probably take you up on that, and I'd return it with the jitterbugs if you wanted to try them in a system at your level...

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(23-Aug-2015, 20:57)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(23-Aug-2015, 19:12)GuillaumeB Wrote: Ah ok, that would be Audioquest Forest which should be perfectly adequate. I've got an AQ Carbon that you are welcome to borrow if you want.

Guillaume

Forest, yup, that rings a bell...

That's really kind - if you wouldn't miss it for a few days I'd probably take you up on that, and I'd return it with the jitterbugs if you wanted to try them in a system at your level...
No that's fine just PM me your address and I'll post it to you. Not using USB at the moment so no worries at all  Smile 

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Processed the return of my pair of Jitterbugs to Amazon today.

After extensive listening with and without, I simply can't hear a difference (even using the carbon cable very kindly loaned by Guillaume). If it's there it's very subtle to my ears and in my setup so it's not worth having the extra chutney hanging out the back of the Mac.

Roll on the arrival of the regen for another round of testing. If it's as subtle as the jitterbugs I'll be very disappointed but will report back.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

After about one month I've removed my single Jitterbug last week from an inline chain position to a "parallel" position. It's now in the unused USB port of my JCAT USB card. Although subtle I didn't like what the Jitterbug did inline. It's hard to describe exactly how but it seemed to decrease sound quality which mainly resulted in a loss of clarity or a very subtle increase of distortion, mainly in the highs.

Will listen with the Jitterbug in it's new position till I feel like it doesn't add anything or, worse, detracts from enjoying music.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Interesting.

I tried single inline, single in parallel, and dual. Two USB cables and various USB ports. I honestly couldn't hear much difference (good or bad) in any combination. I certainly don't miss them having taken them out.

Not at all convinced. Thanks to Amazons great returns policy, it's about the first audio experiment that hasn't cost me anything. Usually I end up jumping into things and being well out of pocket!

(19-Sep-2015, 16:14)Antoine Wrote: After about one month I've removed my single Jitterbug last week from an inline chain position to a "parallel" position. It's now in the unused USB port of my JCAT USB card. Although subtle I didn't like what the Jitterbug did inline. It's hard to describe exactly how but it seemed to decrease sound quality which mainly resulted in a loss of clarity or a very subtle increase of distortion, mainly in the highs.

Will listen with the Jitterbug in it's new position till I feel like it doesn't add anything or, worse, detracts from enjoying music.

hi,

JCAT usb card is newly constructed for USB audio. Jitterbug is just one more handicap in the chain. I don't think it is doing any good in the inline chain.
The main problem is in USB POWER line of 5V. It can be dirty, but it is hard to filtrate it after it leaves the computer USB port. In my five years, dealing with USB audio, I found that the best solution is to use so called "Y" or "V" USB cable. Data pair wires are plugged into the computer USB and power line pair is connected into the very good quality linear 5V power supply, and than both of them into the Devialet USB port. This way you don't need to use JCAT card any more.
For my taste the sound was better with computer USB port and external 5V PS than with JCAT USB. So, I'have sold mine JCAT. 
This is not an advertisement, just to get some idea what I meant to say :
cable..

http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-gemini/

Power supply ....

http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/micro-iusbpower/

ofcourse after five years I DIY my silver cable and power supply according to my tastes.

regards, Hrky
It indeed seems the Jitterbug was doing more damaga than good in my chain. This chain is already quite long but thus far each addition did help SQ forward.

Current chain here is: JCAT USB interface card (powered by JCAT Battery PSU) -> TotalDAC D1 USB cable/filter -> uptone Audio USB REGEN (powered by 12V BoTWS linear PSU) -> Devialet.

Before I bought the TotalDAC D1 USB cable I owned the Kingrex Unanimous Ucraft USB Y cable and a Kingrex U power which is a battery injecting power into the power leg of the USB cable. The TotalDAC cable however was better in every way in my system.The Devialet doesn't use the USB power, or better said it's only used for the detection of an active host and handshake process. Also the Regen disconnects the 5V and replaces it with it's own clean power.

Since I own the Regen I feel there may be some redundancy in the chain but I haven't bothered yet with selectively removing parts from it to confirm this (or not).
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(19-Sep-2015, 18:30)Antoine Wrote: It indeed seems the Jitterbug was doing more damaga than good in my chain. This chain is already quite long but thus far each addition did help SQ forward.

Current chain here is: JCAT USB interface card (powered by JCAT Battery PSU) -> TotalDAC D1 USB cable/filter -> uptone Audio USB REGEN (powered by 12V BoTWS linear PSU) -> Devialet.

Before I bought the TotalDAC D1 USB cable I owned the Kingrex Unanimous Ucraft USB Y cable and a Kingrex U power which is a battery injecting power into the power leg of the USB cable. The TotalDAC cable however was better in every way in my system.The Devialet doesn't use the USB power, or better said it's only used for the detection of an active host and handshake process. Also the Regen disconnects the 5V and replaces it with it's own clean power.

Since I own the Regen I feel there may be some redundancy in the chain but I haven't bothered yet with selectively removing parts from it to confirm this (or not).

Hi, 

This hobby is all about personal taste. I had both Kingrex and totaldac usb filter cable in my system. Didn't like both. Because I use Kondo Japan silver cables everywhere,  I am very sensitive about the "air feeling" in my system and they both reduce a clarity . And the batteries have to be implemented very clever. I also dont like the sound of battery PS. After all my research I will stay with this solution. "Y" cable, good 5V PS... nothing else.  Pure signal and SILVER chain. Even if 5V is used in Devialet for the detection of an active host and handshake process I can hear the difference in 5V PS. And be verrrrry careful about battery suplies.

regards, Hrky
Interesting hrky, although I fully agree much is about personal preference. Also there's the system matching and at this level of tweaks even environment factors like power quality, noise interfernce from other equipment etc. In short there is no magic bullet and there's many roads that lead to rome.

Unfortunately I'm not much of a DIY person myself, at least not for electronics, making cables etc. so can't easily try your recommendations. I've read more often that a battery PSU isn't always the best solution, sometimes it's a high quality linear PSU. For the JCAT USB interface and SSD it is however a proven combination although of course also here people seem to have their personal preference. I'm eagerly awaiting the Regen PSU add-on that is claimed to be insensitive to the quality of the device feeding it. I might also try it on the JCAT card and SSD since these need 5V which this PSU can also output.

The Netherlands