Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Headphone amp - help please
Hi, I own a D200 and yesterday I Purchased a cable that provides a headphone plug that connects to Stereo Preout, I figured some of you have already tried driving headphones without a headphone amplifier. I wanted to particularly discuss settings.

I have a second SD card where the stereo preout is on and the speakers are off. This way I can set all to be either a speaker output or a headphone output in two separate sd cards. I have set Volume start to -50db on general setings and safe start. I thought that with the Vrms set to 2, there was a hint of distortion on the highs, and then I reduced to achieve better results, What vrms setting did you use for the pre out?. Overally I am not impressed, and I wanted to see what other people think. One thing though is that the second SD card setup works like a charm. You just remove one and plug the other, there is no need for restart or power off, it will pick the new config automatically.

Looking forward to hear your experiences

Regards

AT
its late and im not sure im reading this correctly but if you connect the headphones directly then you want to set the devialet to variable output and npt 2Vrms as this should be for a fixed output of 2 volts into a headphone amp
Foobar2000/Win10 ~ Devialet 440Pro ~ Tannoy Precision 6.4 ~ Auralic Taurus Mk2 ~ Sennheiser HD700
The Missing Link Cryo Reference Mains Cables / The Chord Company Silver Plus USB / Townshend Isolda Bi-Wire Speaker Cables / Townshend Isolda DCT 300 Interconnects / Quadraspire Q4 EVO Rack

The Cotswolds England
(28-Mar-2016, 06:07)tyefighter Wrote: its late and im not sure im reading this correctly but if you connect the headphones directly then you want to set the devialet to variable output and npt 2Vrms as this should be for a fixed output of 2 volts into a headphone amp

Hi, That is correct, I have the pre out volume variable so I can obviously increase and decrease the volume through the devialet, but if you look in the settings there is also a "Relative Level" setting that allows from 0.2 to 4 Vrms. This if too much for the headphones can cause distortion and if too little maybe not capable to drive them in to a proper listening range (volume range).

I was wondering what kind of setups for the Vrms people use for their headphones and what were the personal experiences people had. Is there somebody out there that is extremely happy with the way the devialet drive his headphones? what hp is he using? what are the vrms settings?

Regards
oh right i see now, i guess this would depend on the impedance of your headphones
i have only heard of the very difficult to drive HiFiman 600 needing 4vrms, but beyond that i can not be any help sorry
Foobar2000/Win10 ~ Devialet 440Pro ~ Tannoy Precision 6.4 ~ Auralic Taurus Mk2 ~ Sennheiser HD700
The Missing Link Cryo Reference Mains Cables / The Chord Company Silver Plus USB / Townshend Isolda Bi-Wire Speaker Cables / Townshend Isolda DCT 300 Interconnects / Quadraspire Q4 EVO Rack

The Cotswolds England
(28-Mar-2016, 07:40)totopsgr Wrote:
(28-Mar-2016, 06:07)tyefighter Wrote: its late and im not sure im reading this correctly but if you connect the headphones directly then you want to set the devialet to variable output and npt 2Vrms as this should be for a fixed output of 2 volts into a headphone amp

Hi, That is correct, I have the pre out volume variable so I can obviously increase and decrease the volume through the devialet, but if you look in the settings there is also a "Relative Level" setting that allows from 0.2 to 4 Vrms. This if too much for the headphones can cause distortion and if too little maybe not capable to drive them in to a proper listening range (volume range).

I was wondering what kind of setups for the Vrms people use for their headphones and what were the personal experiences people had. Is there somebody out there that is extremely happy with the way the devialet drive his headphones? what hp is he using? what are the vrms settings?

Regards

Hi. I have the best results with relative level at 4 Vrms (D250 + HE1000). I have tried intermediary settings and ended up preferring the max voltage one.
(28-Mar-2016, 07:40)totopsgr Wrote:

Regards

I use my D to drive my headphones with an output setting of 4 Vrms. I have three sets as you can see from my signature. I used to have a Graham Slee Solo Ultralinear headphone amp, but honestly preferred the sound straight out of the D, so I sold it. I know the direct output sound is not for everybody though, so in depth auditions are a must IMO. If you (or anyone else for that matter) live near me, you would be most welcome to audition my setup. Good luck with the outcome!
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
Wanted to share my Headphone solution and Configuration:

Just acquired the HifiMan HE1000 headphones and am driving them with a Chord Hugo. 
Connection is Digital Coax from D250's Digital Port 1, right next to AES port which is set up as Digital Output, (SPDIF).

Cabling from D250 is via Siltech Silver. 

Sample rate set at 192 kHz.

Volume control is via the Chord Hugo, (no remote but once set, rarely change - so far)!

Mute button on D250 controls just main speakers so to go from headphones to main speakers is just a press of the mute button. Easy pezzy!

Quality of sound, astonishing. Satisfaction level is 5 out 5 stars. Have about 50 hours on headphones so far, told they need 100 hours to really open up.

Cheers

Bob
250 Pro Master, Siltech Anniversary Silver Interconnects and Speakers cables, LINN Majik Streamer, Arcam D37 SACD, Mac-mini with Kazoo, JRiver and tested Roon, Speakers, custom build, SEA Exotics, Chord Hugo, HifiMan H1000's. (home is Vancouver, Canada)