Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reviewer's (Jeff Fritz/Soundstage) Thoughts
(04-Sep-2015, 15:31)rwjr44 Wrote:
(04-Sep-2015, 11:50)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(01-Sep-2015, 17:50)rwjr44 Wrote: a nice thought piece about the Phantom but has echoes to many of our general complaints about the Expert line.

Really? I've just reread the article and cannot find anything negative about the Expert line.... in fact I think his point is simply that the Phantoms haven't yet had any reviews in the hifi press and as of yet no published acoustic measurement results... he also makes the point of very few forum reviews and posts, giving the example of WBF.

On the point of very few user experiences being published on the internet I wonder if he has heard of Devialet Chat? On the subject of the Phantom we have 151 threads and 2,359 posts and lots of happy campers right?

Guillaume

"ECHOES to our many of our general complaints". Sad

No he didn't complain about the Expert line. We are the ones that have many complaints about Devialet's handling of the Expert line. Angry There are threads devoted to our problems with the company. I thoroughly enjoy my Le200 Big Grin  BUT this entire bungle of the configurations, the remote app, the AIR situation and a few other things Angry have some relation to JF's feelings about the way the company is handling the release of the Phantom product and leaves many of us very frustrated.

If you haven't read the article, please read it. It is very short.

I think I get the message from Jeff Fritz. I've just re-checked Phantom/Dialog/Spark literature and forum posts here for a possible purchase. In it's current state I would not buy.
Jeff Fritz warns Devialet not to forget about audiophiles and I agree completely. I get brilliant sound quality and music experience from my 250, but I need to do things differently from Devialet recommendations. I.e. I'd love to use AIR, but can't because it is unstable, and AIR is not available for Linux. I've asked Devialet if they would implement support for i2s for example - maybe via a HDMI connector. Their answer? Devialet will not add non-standard connection protocols... as if AIR is a standard..
Then there is Roon and their Roon Speaker end point. I am not currently a Roon user, but would love to be able choose. Roonlabs has signed an NDA with Devialet, but Devialet has not yet responded to requests from Roonlabs regarding exchange of programming code. And my own favourite complaint: lack of convolution in the DSP of the amp even if Devialet has promised the feature.. I'd guess this would be even more difficult with Phantom/Dialog.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
I've just read the article and must confess that I thought Fritz is confused about what he trying to say; he's unclear about how good phantoms actually are, then has a rant about Tidal.

That final point about "don't forget about audiophiles" seems to be based on some very selective "evidence" - go to any decent hi-fi shop with a full wallet and I am sure they will help you find high-quality kit.
Devialet 1000 Pro. Martin Logan Montis, Michell Gyrodec, Melco N1ZH, Mutec MC3+ USB