Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
802 Diamond - D200 vs D400
I just want to add that with D200 , B&W indeed were bright and D250 really improved things.
From that experience I learned that when people say that B&W are power hungry speakers they mean this ? , with more power B&W sounds a lot better,
I still have my Ayon raptor speakers and I tried them with D800 and didn't noticed any significant difference on how it was with D200.
Devialet 800| B&W 802 Diamond | JL 113 | Linn Akurate DS + Denon HEOS for Spotify | Stealth Reverie speaker cables| Audioprana AES/RCA | DH LABS PC 
On another thread I have raised my issues about the brightness in my system. Maybe the Devialet is oart of the problem ?
For me the 200 is the best bit of kit I have ever owned. The step up to the 200 from my Musical Fidelity m6 amp was the biggest increase in SQ I have ever experiment. However it is very detailed and possibly a little brightness is the price we pay for that ?
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
(17-Nov-2015, 20:24)Womaz Wrote: On another thread I have raised my issues about the brightness in my system. Maybe the Devialet is oart of the problem ?
For me the 200 is the best bit of kit I have ever owned. The step up to the 200 from my Musical Fidelity m6 amp was the biggest increase in SQ I have ever experiment. However it is very detailed and possibly a little brightness is the price we pay for that ?

I saw your post and I think you really should try D250 in your system, for me it's totally healed the sound from brightness and now I really like those diamond tweeters in my speakers, that I thought were terrible at first.
Devialet 800| B&W 802 Diamond | JL 113 | Linn Akurate DS + Denon HEOS for Spotify | Stealth Reverie speaker cables| Audioprana AES/RCA | DH LABS PC 
(17-Nov-2015, 20:31)Stigmater Wrote:
(17-Nov-2015, 20:24)Womaz Wrote: On another thread I have raised my issues about the brightness in my system. Maybe the Devialet is oart of the problem ?

I saw your post and I think you really should try D250 in your system, for me it's totally healed the sound from brightness and now I really like those diamond tweeters in my speakers, that I thought were terrible at first.

I don't want to hijack your thread so will keep it brief. I considered an upgrade to the 400 but decided against this as I felt I would benefit more from a speaker upgrade. I feel the 250 upgrade would be the same. My PMCs are only the 23s and to be honest I am starting to think the 200 is deserving of better
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Stigmater - I recall an earlier post of yours where you mentioned it is difficult to audition speakers (not sure if you meant in general or due to your location?). What could you get to listen to where you are?
(17-Nov-2015, 21:17)Confused Wrote: Stigmater - I recall an earlier post of yours where you mentioned it is difficult to audition speakers (not sure if you meant in general or due to your location?). What could you get to listen to where you are?

I guess there is 7-10 dealers that I could go and listen to brands that they have, what exactly they have in demo I don't know but I can check.
Except Wilson Audio I can't really think of something that I wanted to listen to , other then what I already had.
The problem with this particular Wilson dealer as opposed to other dealers is that he way overprice the brands that he distribute, I didn't checked yet but I think beyond my budget.

My dilemma right now since I'm relatively new in this hobby ,don't have much experience and already invested quite big amount of savings, is where stands Devialet relatively to other High-End Amps brands? I already asked this question in some way or another in other threads but didn't really feel that I got answered.
I want to understand in what direction to dig, speakers or AMP, and which are ?
(17-Nov-2015, 20:24)EWomaz Wrote: On another thread I have raised my issues about the brightness in my system. Maybe the Devialet is oart of the problem ?

Generally, I think the D200 has an exceptionally neutral sound but I have found that recent (7.1.3 and 8.1+) versions of firmware are brighter in my system than earlier versions. I have now gone back to 8.1.1 because I found 8.1.3 too bright... That's using Qobuz or iTunes/AIR; with a less bright source e.g. Aurender I think there would be less of a problem.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(17-Nov-2015, 22:32)Stigmater Wrote:
(17-Nov-2015, 21:17)Confused Wrote: Stigmater - I recall an earlier post of yours where you mentioned it is difficult to audition speakers (not sure if you meant in general or due to your location?). What could you get to listen to where you are?

I guess there is 7-10 dealers that I could go and listen to brands that they have, what exactly they have in demo I don't know but I can check.
Except Wilson Audio I can't really think of something that I  wanted to listen to , other then what I already had.
The problem with this particular Wilson dealer as opposed to other dealers is that he way overprice the brands that he distribute, I didn't checked yet but I think beyond my budget.

My dilemma right now since I'm relatively new in this hobby ,don't have much experience and already invested quite big amount of savings, is where stands Devialet relatively to other High-End Amps brands? I already asked this question in some way or another in other threads but didn't really feel that I got answered.
I want to understand in what direction to dig, speakers or AMP, and which are ?

It's a rather subjective thing too - you just need to try different brands and select the one that sounds the best in your opinion. You can always ask people's opinions and read reviews but I don't know how much you can learn from that. I wouldn't buy anything without a proper home demo. It might be hard work to arrange a home demo but it's definitely worth it. For example there are lots of people liking the new B&W speakers a lot but after auditioning those it was clear that those speakers were not for me. I highly preferred some others.
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
(17-Nov-2015, 23:31)PhilP Wrote:
(17-Nov-2015, 20:24)EWomaz Wrote: On another thread I have raised my issues about the brightness in my system. Maybe the Devialet is oart of the problem ?

Generally, I think the D200 has an exceptionally neutral sound but I have found that recent (7.1.3 and 8.1+) versions of firmware are brighter in my system than earlier versions. I have now gone back to 8.1.1 because I found 8.1.3 too bright... That's using Qobuz or iTunes/AIR; with a less bright source e.g. Aurender I think there would be less of a problem.

Hi PhilP, yes the Devialet is an exceptionally neutral and natural. I didn't find 8.1.3 too bright when using USB from Win10. I was wondering that have you tried different settings, like turning DPM off just for example? I'm not sure does that make any difference at all, but it's worth to try since it doesn't cost anything  Smile It's just that I liked to keep DPM off when I had the Devialet 200 and 400.
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
Hi Petrik!  

The challenge is that the best-sounding FW in one system may not be the best in another system with different components playing in a different room Wink   Also, I find AIR brighter than other sources.

I would like to play with DPM off (no difference in brightness but subjectively sounds more dynamic without it) but I find that even with SAM set at only 50% the internal temperatures rise too high - 50 degrees plus with DPM off versus around 40 degrees with DPM on.  Running typically between -20 and -25 dB.

What sort of temps did you see with your amps?
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)