Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
200 is at the anodizer...
Should be done by next Wednesday/Thursday and we'll all be able to see the 1st black anodized Expert. I'm letting the anodizer do all the internal prep work that will mask & retain the many chassis grounds at all the PCB mounting locations as once anodized the case will no longer be conductive on any of its internal/external exposed surfaces. Fingers crossed I get lucky on this phase as its the last step before reassembly.
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
Manoel, why is the anodized surface not conductive ? I always thought it was a type of metallisation process that changed the outer surface but left it as a metal.
I should probably google it but I'm sure you'll give a better answer !
Anodizing via acid electroplating self-etches a crystalline layer of aluminum oxide into the aluminum surface... a compound of crystallized aluminum & oxygen forms the mineral Corundum which can also, with other trace metal elements added form rubies and/or sapphires. Aluminum oxide is best known for its use as an abrasive as it outlives and outperforms silica (sand) due to inherent hardness and doesn't like to 'load-up' or wear out as easily as regular sandpaper does. Basically it envelopes and etches itself into the aluminum then hardens, rendering its surface layer crystalline, although not necessarily shiny, non-conductive and "harder than Chinese arithmetic to an English teacher."
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!