Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the ideal way to get audio from a Mac Mini music server?
Hi there,

We have our media here at AudioFlea on a Mac Mini music server running JRiver Media Center.

I currently have the Mac Mini hooked up to our  Devialet 200 via USB currently.  

I've read though that streaming to the Devialet sounds even better than USB?!?!

What is the ideal way to get the best sounding audio from a media server?  WiFi?  Ethernet?  USB?  Something else?

Thanks!

-Todd @ AudioFlea
USB can be better but it needs some special care as computers are quite noisy and most USB interfaces (including the one inside the Devialet) are susceptible to that and influence the DAC process and other upstream functions inside the Devialet.

AIR, for many, is plagued by reliability issues but on an off the shelf PC or Mac (no tuning or optimizatins applied) is indeed better than USB.

Check out the many topics written about it here and also on specialized computer audio sites like computeraudiophile.com. There are no easy answers which is best and how.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Thanks for the reply!

Is going ethernet from something like a Mac Mini into the ethernet input on the Devialet a recommended approach?

-Todd @ AudioFlea
Why don't you try AIR?

Some people have found problems with it, but many haven't and your computer does not need to be in your listening room.

If it is a problem, you can always revert to your current setup.
(08-Sep-2015, 02:45)hifitodd Wrote: Thanks for the reply!  

Is going ethernet from something like a Mac Mini into the ethernet input on the Devialet a recommended approach?  

-Todd @ AudioFlea

If you look on this forum you will see lots of issues around AIR, but you could be one of the lucky ones and get no drop outs/ white noise and if you are then AIR is excellent IMO. Its definitely worth a try.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
(08-Sep-2015, 02:45)hifitodd Wrote: Thanks for the reply!  

-Todd @ AudioFlea

Whilst I must admit that AIR is not my personal, preferred, input route to my Devialet, I have used it on occasion, via Ethernet from a PC (not Mac I am afraid), without any problems using iTunes. I know that some people on this forum have used AIR with both Mac, and/or PC with a lot of problems and others, such as me, have no problems at all, so it would appear that there is no "logical" reason why some are OK and others are not Huh. There are many posters here, with far greater technical knowledge than me, who have come forward with a range of possible scenarios but no solutions - not even Devialet themselves have achieved that it would appear Confused. The only way is to try it in your own system and see
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
AIR over Ethernet (CAT7) works just fine from my iMac to the Devialet. And, heresy of all heresies, I use iTunes (and Apple Remote on iPad to control it).
Devialet 1000 Pro Core Infinity, Magico M3, Nordost Frey 2 speaker cable, PS Audio P15 Power Plant, Shunyata Alpha EF AC cable, Mac Mini running ROON.
(11-Sep-2015, 01:07)flohmann Wrote: AIR over Ethernet (CAT7) works just fine from my iMac to the Devialet. And, heresy of all heresies, I use iTunes (and Apple Remote on iPad to control it).

I use Windows and find JRiver offers slightly better sound quality than iTunes.  It might seem odd, but I do still use iTunes a lot, the interface is good, it's robust, the remote app is excellent, and its free!  Plus, more recently any updates have been problem free.  (not the case a couple of years back) I have been messing around with playlists / track ratings etc. with iTunes for a few years, so I have a lot of time investment in it.  If I am listening to a particular album, I will tend to use JRiver, but a lot of the time I do find I use iTunes because I prefer the interface. The deficit with SQ a is small too if you select the WASAPI mode in Qucktime.

So if your running a Mac I don't think use of iTunes is heresy, unfashionable maybe in some audiophile circles, underrated I would say.