Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A hint of cloisonné...
    Prior to reassembly I'm adding a little personalization. Six layers of Ferrari Corsa Rosso red enamel back-filled into the "DEVIALET" that's CNC'd into the rear of the center top. As you see it in pic above is coat #4. I'll do two more total as each one has to be baked in the oven for two hours at 275 degrees F which prohibits me doing this during or after reassembly. Once done the lettering will be flush with the top albeit 'shiny' and match the Devialet lettering exactly save for the Ferrari Red. Due to its placement on the body I'm hoping for a Cloisonné-ish/Black Widow effect... just for fun ;-)
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
Nice! How do you cut back the paint so it's flush with the top?
Its incredibly easy Rufus... just tear 10-12 pages out of a phone book then tear them in half again and leave them all stacked together and wrap around a small flat block of wood or 'anything' flat then paint a little lacquer thinner or acetone on them making sure its soaked in thru several pages but not soaking wet or dripping. Then carefully wipe across the painted surface lightly & evenly. As one page of paper loads with paint, remove it and keep going with the next page under it till no more paint appears on the pages or on the surrounding area of the Dev top. Reapply solvent as needed if the pages dry out. Repeat until paint is flush/level with top surface. In my case 6 coats will likely be required. You cannot apply too many as the solvent wipes will continue to cut it flush with top height.Then bake it once more after paint reaches desired thickness and excess is wiped off and its done! The final layer of solvent-wipe allows just enough solvent to remain behind and flow over the paint creating a nice gloss, sealed finish akin to clear coat that gives the paint a polish on top. Totally easy since anodizing is impervious to solvents there's no worries about affecting it in any way.

When done it appears totally professionally done as you'll see in an hour or so when I'm finished with this phase.

In hindsight I should also add that due to the satin finish I applied with the soda blasting the anodizing has the perfect 'tooth' to hold the paint aggressively in place. If I'd tried this on top of chrome without being able to rough the relief letters inside that'd likely loosen, separate from their individual 'letter-molds' and fall out at some point due to repeated expansion/contraction of the top as it cycles thru repeated hot/cold transitions.
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
    Enough with my vanity, now reassembly begins...
(14-Sep-2015, 17:36)Manoet Wrote: Enough with my vanity, now reassembly begins...

So who is this Devialet Wink. Look forward to the reassembly process.

David
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
(14-Sep-2015, 18:23)brit Wrote:
(14-Sep-2015, 17:36)Manoet Wrote: Enough with my vanity, now reassembly begins...

So who is this Devialet Wink. Look forward to the reassembly process.

David

Ditto here!

Manoet - you never cease to impress me with your projects and diligence.  Well done!  Reading about your processes and materials I get the sense you must do similar customization work with high end automobiles, or perhaps racing?

Kenreau
Synology DS412+> Aurender S10> AQ Wel AES > Devialet 200> AQ Castle Rock Bi-Wired > Vandersteen 5As.
Actually, I'm retired but did IMSA/SCCA National & Pro Road Racing most of my life... since the late 60's. As I've said before, I'm no wiz-kid with electronics but I know my way around mechanical engineering pretty well and I'm nothing if not resourceful in a McGyver sorta way ;-)

Bravo. Fantastic looks.
(15-Sep-2015, 18:46)Manoet Wrote: Actually, I'm retired but did IMSA/SCCA National & Pro Road Racing most of my life... since the late 60's. As I've said before, I'm no wiz-kid with electronics but I know my way around mechanical engineering pretty well and I'm nothing if not resourceful in a McGyver sorta way ;-)

Got it.  Very impressive.  My background is from the motocross racing side in late 70's/early 80's and having an immense appreciation for the big factory custom "works" bikes.  Also early on, seeing the privateers and small cottage industries engineer and produce custom trick parts that bettered the OEM bikes (Fox Brothers, DG, Boyesen, ProCircuit ) to ring out all latent potential.  It's a shame the rules changes in the 90's killed all the custom works bikes, R&D and move to four strokes.

I now see a lot of parallels with what you're doing here on this Tweaker's Corner forum.  Keep up the great work!

Kenreau
Synology DS412+> Aurender S10> AQ Wel AES > Devialet 200> AQ Castle Rock Bi-Wired > Vandersteen 5As.