Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
One happy customer
(10-Nov-2015, 05:43)Eggman Wrote: Started with one white, just got 2 silvers + dialog today. WOWWWWW. So happy.  Love the single white, but the 2 silver took it up five notches. I'd had a weird system with a Peachtree iDecco DAC, Bang & Olufsen BeoLab 6000's and a REL sub, and it sounded great, but the Phantoms are better in every way. Clarity, separation, projection, bass -- I've never owned (or heard, really) anything like them.  The high end audio store where I sold my old equipment had a pretty fancy vinyl system running, and honestly, it was not as good as the Phantoms.  The only bummer is Spark not playing any DRM music, which appears to be fully 15% of my iTunes collection.

Same for me. Started with the white, got a Silver, then the Dialog. I'm trading in some difficult to sell equipment for a 2nd Silver. I said one Phantom was enough and now I'm over budget.
(10-Nov-2015, 23:11)cloudkicker Wrote:
(10-Nov-2015, 05:43)Eggman Wrote: Started with one white, just got 2 silvers + dialog today. WOWWWWW. So happy.  Love the single white, but the 2 silver took it up five notches. I'd had a weird system with a Peachtree iDecco DAC, Bang & Olufsen BeoLab 6000's and a REL sub, and it sounded great, but the Phantoms are better in every way. Clarity, separation, projection, bass -- I've never owned (or heard, really) anything like them.  The high end audio store where I sold my old equipment had a pretty fancy vinyl system running, and honestly, it was not as good as the Phantoms.  The only bummer is Spark not playing any DRM music, which appears to be fully 15% of my iTunes collection.

Same for me. Started with the white, got a Silver, then the Dialog. I'm trading in some difficult to sell equipment for a 2nd Silver. I said one Phantom was enough and now I'm over budget.

Ha!  I too wrestled with the budget for the one white -- way more than I was comfortable paying.  And now I'm looking for stuff around the house to sell to support my habit.
Just hooked up my Thorens TD124 via optical with an analog to digital converter, flawless connection sounds absolutely superb, very thrilled with this $20 solution!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Forgot the video https://vimeo.com/145427231

Lovely old turntable David. I have a Thorens TD150 mkII, which I bought new in 1972, now fitted with an Audiomods arm and will be going through my Phantom using a similar cheap A/D soon. Just need to sort a few things out.
I was surprised how good it sounds I thought the cheap analog to digital would be awful but it sounds better than ever thanks to the phantoms

(11-Nov-2015, 22:00)davidadamson Wrote: I was surprised how good it sounds I thought the cheap analog to digital would be awful but it sounds better than ever thanks to the phantoms

Indeed......my ADC cost the same - and it sounds awesome. I wonder whether a more expensive converter would make any difference

The only thing I find with it - is you don't get a nice satisfying clunk when the optical cable goes in! Same as with the dialogue, so I wonder how solid the connection is especially if cables get knocked 

SPDIF connector is an annoyingly poor design compared to solid connection with USB or mini jack or rca
(11-Nov-2015, 20:16)davidadamson Wrote: Just hooked up my Thorens TD124 via optical with an analog to digital converter, flawless connection sounds absolutely superb, very thrilled with this $20 solution!

Hey I have the same phono stage but my TT is a Technics SL-1200. Will take a look at the ADC for my set up. Thanks.
Current: Phantom Silvers, Oppo 105D (Toslink), Raspberry Pi + Digi+, ROON
Pre-Phantom: PenAudio Rebel2, Nuforce MCH-2C5, Oppo 105D (Analog)