Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
One happy customer
(30-Oct-2015, 12:32)sleach Wrote: A pair of silver phantoms will sound better in every respect, in my opinion! Not sure about a single phantom - it is good but having two phantoms makes the sound and stereo imaging incredible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I totally agree, 2 is much better
(30-Oct-2015, 12:32)sleach Wrote: A pair of silver phantoms will sound better in every respect, in my opinion! Not sure about a single phantom - it is good but having two phantoms makes the sound and stereo imaging incredible

Also the way that spark streams - I'm not sure of the technicalities - but it performs as well, if not better, than my music server

(31-Oct-2015, 01:41)sleach Wrote: Also the way that spark streams - I'm not sure of the technicalities - but it performs as well, if not better,  than my music server

Spark streaming with tidal and even better with qobuz (sounds for me the best) is really perfect.
For me (two white Phantoms) streaming from Qobuz seems better than playing CDs. Except when there are continuous tracks. The Phantoms do not give gapless playback. A serious problem for those of us who listen to classical music. (I can avoid this problem by steaming from Qonuz via a Sonos Connect and TOSlink. Sad that I have to do this.
Gapless will come to spark eventually. Meanwhile I've been working around that issue by using Roon on a Mac mini through Ifi USB converter with external power then to toslink. It is about 99% as good as playing in Spark.

I'm happy and still surprised at how the Silver Phantom sounds. Spark is a frustrating experience and the overall Phantom experience is a work in progress. As an alternative I'm using my Mac with optical out when I have issues with Spark or if I want other things such as Internet radio or gapless playback. Personally, I think music sounds better when using Spark than optical so I'm hoping for continued progress on that end. It's still early days for the Phantom and as long as development continues we'll be good. Recall when the iPhone first came out it was still very rough.
(30-Oct-2015, 12:56)Johnnydev Wrote:

Indeed. Received my second white Phantom two days ago - 9 months after I enjoyed my first one.

Incredible. Two is so much better!!

I can also now stream via bluetooth from any device/app and quality is quite decent (I do get a slight delay between image and sound on Youtube).

Can't wait to get the branches but I doubt it will be in 2015.
Started with one white, just got 2 silvers + dialog today. WOWWWWW. So happy. Love the single white, but the 2 silver took it up five notches. I'd had a weird system with a Peachtree iDecco DAC, Bang & Olufsen BeoLab 6000's and a REL sub, and it sounded great, but the Phantoms are better in every way. Clarity, separation, projection, bass -- I've never owned (or heard, really) anything like them. The high end audio store where I sold my old equipment had a pretty fancy vinyl system running, and honestly, it was not as good as the Phantoms. The only bummer is Spark not playing any DRM music, which appears to be fully 15% of my iTunes collection.
Glad to hear you're enjoying them! I love mine too. One way to work around the DRM issue is to connect to your phantoms with optical or Bluetooth. The sound quality on optical is very good - nearly as good as spark. the Bluetooth quality is behind that, but not by much. I listen to all 3 sources a lot and I'm always happy with what I hear!