Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom/Dialog update 1.4.0.5
Received an email from Devialet tech support indicating new firmware now in system test and they hope to release it this week. The email was in response to my trouble report which is almost identical to G2man's... and many others. I have reset everything from the NID on into the network to the end points to no effect multiple times, unfortunately the outcome is always consistent.. a flaky unreliable and irritating listening experience.

So I wait for the upcoming release, with a high degree of skepticism.
Levinson 33 amps, Wilson Grand Slamm S3's, Levinson 32 ref pre and ad/da, Basis Ovation and Rega 40 with JSpall custom tone arms, Lyra, Ortofon & Grado cartridges, Marantz AV 8801, PSAudio phono pre, Devialet Dialog w  5 Gold Phantoms, Wilson powered subwoofer, Watch center, Wilson surrounds, Kaleidescape Movie server, Crestron AV controller and switch, 120 MBS docsis3 modem, 20 MBS xdsl modem, Peplink balance 20 router, Ruckus 802.11ac Wave 2 WAPS plus multi Pakedge WAPs, 48 port POE gigabit switch, NetGear 8TB NAS, Amazon Fire,ROKU and Apple TV gen 4, 12 core Mac Pro, Macbook Air Retina, 65" and 50" Runco TV's. Blue sound node 2, OPPO BDP105D, DSpeaker AntiMode 2.0, Octava HDMI/Optical switch, cabling Nordost for analog, Cardas and wireworld for digital/optical.
The new Spark app for iOS still loses it's playque whenever I shut down the program and don't use it for a day or more.

I am using Spark on my iPad Air 2.

Whenever I am starting a new music session I have to reimport my Qobuz playlists because Spark forgot out them. Am I the only person who experiences this?
Hmmm... I also encounter this Left/Right phase shifting when watching tv. just realised now wasn't me or the broadcast but a firmware issue. I'm on 1.4.0.5 (spark 1.3). Not noticed with music (either i did not realised it or it is because i use a different source)
I contacted Devialet support regarding the time frame for the next firmware update and got a reply that stated that 1.4.1 would be released in the next couple of weeks.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
[quote pid='26531' dateline='1444336863']
Johnnydev

Devialet promised me that an update was coming this week. Might not be before sunday, but should be this week.

[/quote]

(14-Oct-2015, 14:00)ondastar Wrote: Received an email from Devialet tech support indicating new firmware now in system test and they hope to release it this week. The email was in response to my trouble report which is almost identical to G2man's... and many others.
So I wait for the upcoming release, with a high degree of skepticism.

(16-Oct-2015, 13:37)ragwo Wrote: I contacted Devialet support regarding the time frame for the next firmware update and got a reply that stated that 1.4.1 would be released in the next couple of weeks.

Last week - this week - next couple of weeks? Seems scepticism is in order.

My son's two Silvers and Dialog are packed back up waiting for the big brown van to collect. He's had enough problems, they're going back to France. Shame, they were great when working.

As for my single White, mostly working OK, just occasional 3 second dropouts on optical and having to put up with Spark, which is at best amateurish. So I'll wait for the next round of updates..........see what happens.

Devialet needs their ass kicking, Phantom is still a prototype and trying a lot of peoples patience.
(16-Oct-2015, 15:33)nigelb001 Wrote: Last week - this week - next couple of weeks? Seems scepticism is in order.

My son's two Silvers and Dialog are packed back up waiting for the big brown van to collect. He's had enough problems, they're going back to France. Shame, they were great when working.

As for my single White, mostly working OK, just occasional 3 second dropouts on optical and having to put up with Spark, which is at best amateurish. So I'll wait for the next round of updates..........see what happens.

Devialet needs their ass kicking, Phantom is still a prototype and trying a lot of peoples patience.

Well, what could it be that yours are not working as good as mine?
Do you have a powerline network in place? Is there electromagnetic pollution that disturbs the DIALOG WLAN?
Have you tried to purely connect the PHANTOMS and DIALOG via ETHERNET?
Even when I connect the Mac via TOSLINK to the Dialog, I have no problem (beside the time delay) to play the sound from the Mac over the Phantoms.

Cheers,

Krisp
Today I almost quit on mine!...

This week I finally got my second silver. When it was only one, it worked fine except the Dialog optical input, which, from time to time, switched the left and right channels. Two days ago I tried to setup the stereo pair and start getting problems... only one played when playing music using Spark or Tidal via Spark, I was only able to get both playing when using the optical input. My problem is that my first Phantom and Dialog were updated to firmware 1.4.0.5, but the new one I got was still on 1.3.0.31, and not possible to update it nor to revert the old one. Sad

I was told to try uninstalling Spark and install it again, but it didn't work. It only worked when I did that but using both Phantoms connected using ethernet cables. Then, even though I started having stereo, the Phantom with the 1.3.0.31 firmware was having glitches while playing (a hicup every 3 secs), which was unbearable! After several resets and setups with no success in solving the issue, and being told that the new firmware might take one or two more weeks (yes, the delay keeps going on...), I was almost quitting and deciding to return my two silvers and dialog, but then I decided to give it a last try and do what I read here in the forum, to connect the optical cable to the input on Phantom instead of the one in Dialog, which I was using. Just to play safe, I used the optical input on the Phantom with the 1.3.0.31 firmware, and... it worked! Finally I was having glitch free stereo in all ways of playing Smile Then, I played around with positioning them, and when I put them 1m from the back walls and 70cm from the side walls, with just a very slight toe-in (almost none), finally I started seeing the light! Smile Smile Definitely, toeing-in the Phantoms is not a good idea - at least in my current room.

It was a very long and frustrating day, unacceptable for a product as expensive as the Phantoms are, but I have to admit that I was rewarded by the end of the day with a very good sound! a glimpse of High End. Wink

It's a pity that what looks like a very nice product is affected by such limitations of not even being possible to revert a bad firmware, so, I'm afraid that other people in such a situation as mine might also being struggling a lot to make them play!
I'm sorry to hear people are having such problems. Ive been using dialog on wifi and also optical in to one of the phantoms as well as a bit of Bluetooth from time to time. I am starting to feel Lucky that the software has always worked perfectly for me. I have some grumbles about the features but they seem to be slowly increasing the features in spark and I've been able to work around limitations without fuss. I wonder why some people have such problems - whether it is quirks of their wifi environment or a QC issue with some of the dialogs. Agree it is a shame a great piece of hifi is apparently being undermined by software bugs. Does the expert line of devialet have similar issues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The bugs are not the worst. What I find unacceptable is that they release a new firmware, they force them on the customer (it happened with me, I had no option to avoid installing it because I was setting up my Phantom and Dialog for the first time), and then when they discovered that the firmware was not good they did nothing to revert the equipment to the previous state! They simply say: by middle next week a solution might show up, and lots of people here have been getting this reply for quite a while!... Why not doing something as simple as renumbering the previous firmware and install it on the equipment if their software does not allow to go back to an older revision?

I'm also a software and firmware developer, I understand the bugs, my code sometimes also have some, it's part of the process, but my customers have the option to install any firmware they want, like many other manufacturers do.

I understand they want to make this as easy as possible to the end-user, because some of them are not that computer proficient (or computer nerds, if you prefer. Big Grin ), but at least give it as an option for the few that are. I think Devialet is forgetting that an equipment like Phantom is very tempting for people like us!...
(18-Oct-2015, 11:09)yesgrey Wrote: The bugs are not the worst. What I find unacceptable is that they release a new firmware, they force them on the customer (it happened with me, I had no option to avoid installing it because I was setting up my Phantom and Dialog for the first time), and then when they discovered that the firmware was not good they did nothing to revert the equipment to the previous state! They simply say: by middle next week a solution might show up, and lots of people here have been getting this reply for quite a while!... Why not doing something as simple as renumbering the previous firmware and install it on the equipment if their software does not allow to go back to an older revision?

I'm also a software and firmware developer, I understand the bugs, my code sometimes also have some, it's part of the process, but my customers have the option to install any firmware they want, like many other manufacturers do.

I understand they want to make this as easy as possible to the end-user, because some of them are not that computer proficient (or computer nerds, if you prefer. Big Grin ), but at least give it as an option for the few that are. I think Devialet is forgetting that an equipment like Phantom is very tempting for people like us!...

Hi

I also don't understand why people are having lot of trouble setting up their system...

Please remember, the fact that internet is working at home doesn't mean that the network is properly setup...people should look deep into their network configuration etc...before starting to blame Devialet...

I started with two silvers and never got any issue.. when my third silver was added two weeks later.. had a simple issue when I tried to setup the third phantom in my study upstair.. but when I moved the device near to Dialog in the living room.. everything went smoothly... and since never had any issue whatsoever...

I'm even surprised by people not able to downlaod an update... don't understand...

It is always good to reset any network device and start from scratch ...especially when adding a new device in the network... swithng the router.. off, turn off all devices and start again will alway be good...This simple procedure has alway helped me  with my 34 network devices in my house...

Yes of course, we need Devialet to work hard to simplify the UI of their devices.. and yes, when you spend that type of cash on a system.. you need it to work smoothly... you don't want to run into trouble ...I remember, it took me one month to complete the configuration of my first Denon AV receiver which cost me aoround £1500.. and it was frustrating ...

Thx
 Angenet. 
  5 Silver Phantoms (2 stereo and 3 solo in 3 rooms). 4 Raspberry Pi 3b with Hifiberry digi + boards connected to four Phantoms. 1 Dialog with Airplay, Roon Lifetime Membership for perfect group play. Qobuz sublime, Tidal Hifi,  1 NAS Qnap tS-210 Pro. Location: West Yorkshire, UK.