Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MM Phono Sounds Dull?
(10-Feb-2016, 12:22)markovesterinen Wrote: The clear differences is that the 120 lacks many of the adjustments that can be made on the phone stage on the 200 model for an example. I can only choose MM or MC and regulate the Maximum output RMS.

I will take my amp to the dealer and try to connect it to a turntable with MC cartridge and see how that goes.

I'm not knowledgeable about vinyl at all, esp with the Devialet as I just hooked up my turntable last week. However, I also have a D120 and I'm using a Nagoka MP 11 Boron MM cartridge (which is quite old). The D120 does indeed have fewer options in the phono settings, but I don't think it is of lower quality than in other models.

I'm only offering my brief experience: I listened to the same songs on vinyl and streaming, and I did not find the sound any duller on vinyl than on the streamed version, either from ripped CD's or from streaming services. Different, yes, but I'm sure a new cartridge would improve the TT sound. Even with the old duffer of a cartridge, I thought the sound quality with the built-in phono was very pleasing.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
Thank you all for the replys! Today I found out the cause of my problem. The Phono board on my Devialet is broken :-( So while waiting for the new board to arrive I will be playing with the Clear Audio nano phono stage I borrowed. It sounds just wonderful:-)
Ah, that sounds like a good explanation! Hope you get it fixed quickly and all is well thereafter.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK