Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet Phantom studio monitors for pro
What do you think about a Phantom studio monitor speaker with a balanced analog input?
A simple analog input would be awesome, even though it would then be converted back to digital. Even an aes/ebu digital input would make these speakers more welcome for thousands of users!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
++

A lagless analogue audio source would be the deal maker
(25-Sep-2015, 03:33)booshtukka Wrote: ++

It's probably already lagless when used in mono and fed by optical, since no network transport is needed (if not lagless, it could easily).
In which case, one mono (L, L) S/PDIF into a Phantom, and one mono (R, R) into the second Phantom (each configured for mono use) should do the job ;-)
(25-Sep-2015, 10:43)Pleyel Wrote:

It's probably already lagless when used in mono and fed by optical, since no network transport is needed (if not lagless, it could easily).
In which case, one mono (L, L) S/PDIF into a Phantom, and one mono (R, R) into the second Phantom (each configured for mono use) should do the job ;-)

Not true, there is an inherent latency of 160ms via the optical input, Devialet informed me of this weeks ago when I enquired about lag and said they were working to reduce it. It's there in mono.
(25-Sep-2015, 11:23)nigelb001 Wrote:
(25-Sep-2015, 10:43)Pleyel Wrote:

Not true, there is an inherent latency of 160ms via the optical input, Devialet informed me of this weeks ago when I enquired about lag and said they were working to reduce it. It's there in mono.

Good to know, thanks.
Anyway, I still think they technically could reduce it to nearly zero in mono / optical.
(25-Sep-2015, 12:42)Pleyel Wrote: ....
Anyway, I still think they technically could reduce it to nearly zero in mono / optical.

If you bypass the math wish corrects the amplitude to drive the speaker perfectly, you safe most of the latency, but than the magic is all gone Smile

And if you drive two phantoms in mono, you have no control that they work in sync.

It has reason why you need a Dialog to drive.

But is it really necessary for studio monitors to have zero latency? If you use the phantoms not during recording sessions but for the post production, than it should not matter.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
If I'm tweaking audio settings or doing something time sensitive like scratching on a DJ controller setup, then yes it matters. It's also a pain for syncing audio to video in video production.