Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help needed! (Magico S3 or TAD Evolution One?)
I've been looking for new speakers and have been in contact with two sellers lately. The first seller is offering me to buy a pair of Magicos S3s, and the second a pair of TAD Evolution Ones. They are both great speakers, sold second hand in great condition and similarly priced when sold as new. However, the TADs are about one third cheaper than the S3s but my current speakers are the Magico S1s and I have been super happy with them. Both speakers are also SAM:ed.

The main reason for my upgrade would be to of course gain more bass, a more physical sound with greater air pressure and an even greater sense of presence in the music.

Which one of these great speakers would you choose and why? Please help me, I can't make up my mind... [Image: undecided.gif]
Devialet Expert 1000 Pro CI / Magico A1 / ROON Nucleus w Farad Super 3 / Innuos Phoenix NET / Torus RM 16 / Acrolink Mexcel 7N-S 9000
Wireworld digital and power cables / Harmonix tuning feet / SMT acoustic 
treatment
- SWEDEN -
I listened to the S3 last year in Copenhagen at the Hilton hotel but I cant really remember what I thougt of them and the same setup was used in Gothenburg during the show at Elite hotel but I was not so impressed with that one, this was before I bougt my 200 so I liked the Devialet concept but not so much the paring with Magico in that room.

The Tad Evo1 I think I have listened to them but cant recall when, most shows I have been to have used the R1 and that is really good so if the Evo 1 is anything like that I think that is a good coice.

Dont you have a possibility to test them with your 400?
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

Have you heard the S3 & S1 in the same system?

When heard both, I found the S1 more coherent, with better transparency, a slightly lower but better defined sound stage with clearer separation/distinction between the instruments. The S3 seemed to have a layer of mist/haze, and while its extension was better, the S1 had better mid-bas punch. Surprisingly, the dealer did not disagree with my impressions.

Both were driven by Solution 5-series, CD player, pre and monoblock amplifiers and Kubala-Sosna cables in a ST treated room.

Have not heard the TAD.
(25-Sep-2015, 20:24)octaviars Wrote: I listened to the S3 last year in Copenhagen at the Hilton hotel but I cant really remember what I thougt of them and the same setup was used in Gothenburg during the show at Elite hotel but I was not so impressed with that one, this was before I bougt my 200 so I liked the Devialet concept but not so much the paring with Magico in that room.

The Tad Evo1 I think I have listened to them but cant recall when, most shows I have been to have used the R1 and that is really good so if the Evo 1 is anything like that I think that is a good coice.

Dont you have a possibility to test them with your 400?

I feel no need to test them since I've heard them both and know what they are capable of, but also what sets them apart a bit. The Magicos are a slightly more exact and the bass response is insane (11,6 Hz with SAM compared to TAD's 19 Hz with SAM). The TADs are perhaps a "tad" more [Image: cool.gif]musical but not as exact, they also have a bigger foot print (512 mm D) and I fear that the company will loose some of it's reputation now that Andrew Jones have left for ELAC. This would if so of course also have a negative effect on second hand prices on TAD speakers.
Devialet Expert 1000 Pro CI / Magico A1 / ROON Nucleus w Farad Super 3 / Innuos Phoenix NET / Torus RM 16 / Acrolink Mexcel 7N-S 9000
treatment
- SWEDEN -
(26-Sep-2015, 15:52)nfnc Wrote: Have you heard the S3 & S1 in the same system?

When heard both, I found the S1 more coherent, with better transparency, a slightly lower but better defined sound stage with clearer separation/distinction between the instruments. The S3 seemed to have a layer of mist/haze, and while its extension was better, the S1 had better mid-bas punch. Surprisingly, the dealer did not disagree with my impressions.

Both were driven by Solution 5-series, CD player, pre and monoblock amplifiers and Kubala-Sosna cables in a ST treated room.

Have not heard the TAD.
What you are describing is a quite common thing when comparing floor standing with bookshelf speakers. The S1s are, in my view, somewhat of a floor standing bookshelf speaker and are extremely precise. With the S3s I would also guess that the demands on the room are greater, having to accommodate more bass that will tend to blur the mids/high and effect separation. Did you hear them in a small or a big room?

I heard the S3s with gear from Constellation Audio and it was absolutely marvelous, but I know many who have heard both to prefer Soulution. But man, are their stuff expensive or what...
treatment
- SWEDEN -
Big, I would say. About 22' x 15' but fully carpeted with almost floor to ceiling SMT treatment.

Hearing the Q3 in the same room was a revelation. Along the same lines as the S1 but better in every parameter. Clean, almost disturbingly so, but not to the point of being clinical. I can understand why many say that the S-series has a more accessible sound though.
(25-Sep-2015, 19:55)MightyMart Wrote: I've been looking for new speakers and have been in contact with two sellers lately. The first seller is offering me to buy a pair of Magicos S3s, and the second a pair of TAD Evolution Ones. They are both great speakers, sold second hand in great condition and similarly priced when sold as new. However, the TADs are about one third cheaper than the S3s but my current speakers are the Magico S1s and I have been super happy with them. Both speakers are also SAM:ed.

The main reason for my upgrade would be to of course gain more bass, a more physical sound with greater air pressure and an even greater sense of presence in the music.

Which one of these great speakers would you choose and why? Please help me, I can't make up my mind... [Image: undecided.gif]

Have you thought about adding two sub-woofers to give you the extra bass extension? It could be worth doing a comparison first, save you plenty and give you even more enjoyment.
Devialet 250 Firmware 10.1 SAM 100% (USB & AIR Ethernet) Wilson Audio Duette (MK1), REL S3, Innuos Zenith 2TB SSD, Roon, Audioquest Diamond & Chord Epic Reference. Qobuz & Tidal.
Don't buy either until you've heard the Rockport Technologies Atria.

Yes, there's a SAM file for the Atria.

http://www.soundstageultra.com/index.php...udspeakers
(26-Sep-2015, 19:57)Floyd67 Wrote:
(25-Sep-2015, 19:55)MightyMart Wrote: I've been looking for new speakers and have been in contact with two sellers lately. The first seller is offering me to buy a pair of Magicos S3s, and the second a pair of TAD Evolution Ones. They are both great speakers, sold second hand in great condition and similarly priced when sold as new. However, the TADs are about one third cheaper than the S3s but my current speakers are the Magico S1s and I have been super happy with them. Both speakers are also SAM:ed.

Have you thought about adding two sub-woofers to give you the extra bass extension? It could be worth doing a comparison first, save you plenty and give you even more enjoyment.
Thanks Floyd, but I wish to avoid using a sub due to lack of space and the risk of not getting the full benefit of SAM.

https://help.devialet.com/hc/en-us/artic...-subwoofer
treatment
- SWEDEN -
(26-Sep-2015, 19:28)nfnc Wrote: Big, I would say. About 22' x 15' but fully carpeted with almost floor to ceiling SMT treatment.

Hearing the Q3 in the same room was a revelation.  Along the same lines as the S1 but better in every parameter. Clean, almost disturbingly so, but not to the point of being clinical. I can understand why many say that the S-series has a more accessible sound though.

That's the thing that makes me consider the TADs instead of the S3s; I find the TADs slightly more accessible as you put it when compared to Magico. Both speaker brands are superb products but they have been developed using different philosophies in some ways. I find the Magicos to be a product of extreme technical  engineering and they are almost microscopical in the way they deliver sound. The TADs are also a very well engineered product but Andrew Jones has gone to extreme lengths using master tapes of original recording from different studios as a reference in the development of his speakers. I find that to be a very elegant way of striving after a sonic ideal. The ideal is to come as close as possible to the original idea of the recording when presented through a TAD speaker, not just using technical measurements.
treatment
- SWEDEN -