Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Temperature test...
How about doing the same tweaks to a 250? May be that will make a super 250
(29-Sep-2015, 00:24)Manoet Wrote: Thanks rwjr but I can't prove how it sounds but its STAGGERINGLY good!!! Bigger increase in SQ than temps by far! Now I can go to RMAF and strut my stuff ;-) People are gonna love this!

BTW my last temps in identical situation/conditions were A:43C, D:44C and Supply 45C

Excellent news! Congratulations!

Can you please recap what was modified that would impact sound quality (in lieu of thermal performance)?  I recall removing the chrome from the chassis, non-magnetic screws and the F'tech IEC (skipped the speaker binding posts).

Thanks
Kenreau
Synology DS412+> Aurender S10> AQ Wel AES > Devialet 200> AQ Castle Rock Bi-Wired > Vandersteen 5As.
While I can't guarantee what I'm about to write, my gut-level suspicions of enhanced SQ would be as follows:

1. Anodized, non-magnetic/non-conductive interior walls, ceiling & floor has to be counted as H-U-G-E in such a tightly-packed electronic component! (you don't see any "chrome" smartphones!)

2. F'tech rhodium IEC install with PEM removal & high-end/high-current highly shielded pure silver leads soldered directly to power board and grounded direct to chassis (maybe even moreso than #1, hard to know)

3. WBT speaker binding posts

4. Non-magnetic fasteners & PCB stand-offs

At this point it would be hard to summarily dismiss cooler temps as sharing some measure of responsibility for enhanced SQ. They're just too dramatic to ignore! I also believe it at least possible that there's a bit of "overall improvement is greater than the sum total of parts" used 'may' be at play here.

Its a lot for even me to absorb & process as it certainly exceeds any/all my objective & reasonable expectations.
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
Good to know, thank you, again!

I now wonder about using some of the 3M emi/rfi shielding paper to further shield & isolate the digital noise makers. I may start with a sampling of the 3M paper as a quick cut & paste type of experiment.

Are you still intending to show it off at RMAF later this week?

Thanks
Kenreau
Synology DS412+> Aurender S10> AQ Wel AES > Devialet 200> AQ Castle Rock Bi-Wired > Vandersteen 5As.
For the record, I've just turned my D800's on from standby, the temps in the master, from cold, are 31/27/33. Go figure! (It's quite hot in the house, heating and oven on, about 24deg c)
(29-Sep-2015, 18:08)Manoet Wrote: While I can't guarantee what I'm about to write, my gut-level suspicions of enhanced SQ would be as follows:

1. Anodized, non-magnetic/non-conductive interior walls, ceiling & floor has to be counted as H-U-G-E in such a tightly-packed electronic component! (you don't see any "chrome" smartphones!)

2. F'tech rhodium IEC install with PEM removal & high-end/high-current highly shielded pure silver leads soldered directly to power board and grounded direct to chassis (maybe even moreso than #1, hard to know)

3. WBT speaker binding posts

4. Non-magnetic fasteners & PCB stand-offs

At this point it would be hard to summarily dismiss cooler temps as sharing some measure of responsibility for enhanced SQ. They're just too dramatic to ignore! I also believe it at least possible that there's a bit of "overall improvement is greater than the sum total of parts" used 'may' be at play here.

Its a lot for even me to absorb & process as it certainly exceeds any/all my objective & reasonable expectations.

I'm glad that you achieved and even exceeded your objectives and expectation. 

It has been fascinating to follow all the steps and thank a lot for having taken the pain to share everything with this level of details.

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
(29-Sep-2015, 19:59)kenreau Wrote: Good to know, thank you, again!

I now wonder about using some of the 3M emi/rfi shielding paper to further shield & isolate the digital noise makers.  I may start with a sampling of the 3M paper as a quick cut & paste type of experiment.

Thanks
Kenreau

Great question as I had all but forgotten. Right now I'm thinking I may pass on it. Firstly I'm still thoroughly fatigued from this project. I'm no spring chicken at 70 and this has been a grueling effort for me. It went on for just 5 days short of 2 months from the day the Dev was dropped off for chrome stripping. Behind the scenes there were many 12-14 hour days and it was ALWAYS a 7 day work week! There were worries, stresses & concerns that pulled at me continuously. I couldn't sleep well and constantly up in the middle of the night staring at Devialet parts and wondering if I was forgetting anything or could do anything better/smarter.

RMAF today seems vigorously work-like to me. Doing shows like that is young man's sport and the biggest reluctance is I'm simply not up for anything new. Trudging up & down 11 flights of stairs elbow-to-elbow with people isn't tugging at my heart-strings. I get the feeling I would only be giving a half-hearted view to everything I saw and anxious to get home knowing what I have to listen to here. I'm just not tempted by some shiny new audio-related widget today.

I've missed all of the college football season thus far and much of the NFL save for my home team efforts. I'm anxious to see my home again uncluttered and without tools scattered around everywhere related to this project. I wanna go out, get brunch or a steak and a beer, sit home all day on Saturday in my boxers or bath robe if I choose. I want my life back! Just become comfy in my own skin again. I want to relax and reacquaint myself with Ms Devialet. We didn't get off to a very good start initially. I didn't like her much and today I'm feeling like we deserve another go. One of us has REALLY come around ;-)

Thank you but no... besides brunch and a steak I'll be staying 'in' this weekend!
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
Hah, sounds well deserved and having priorities in the right order. Get your R & R.

All the best,
Kenreau
This morning at 6am (30 minutes ago) I completely taped over all convection inlets/outlets with duct tape. Will be interesting to see what happens temp-wise for the rest of the day.
(29-Sep-2015, 21:29)Manoet Wrote:
(29-Sep-2015, 19:59)kenreau Wrote: Good to know, thank you, again!

I now wonder about using some of the 3M emi/rfi shielding paper to further shield & isolate the digital noise makers.  I may start with a sampling of the 3M paper as a quick cut & paste type of experiment.

Thanks
Kenreau

Great question as I had all but forgotten. Right now I'm thinking I may pass on it. Firstly I'm still thoroughly fatigued from this project. I'm no spring chicken at 70 and this has been a grueling effort for me. It went on for just 5 days short of 2 months from the day the Dev was dropped off for chrome stripping. Behind the scenes there were many 12-14 hour days and it was ALWAYS a 7 day work week! There were worries, stresses & concerns that pulled at me continuously. I couldn't sleep well and constantly up in the middle of the night staring at Devialet parts and wondering if I was forgetting anything or could do anything better/smarter.

RMAF today seems vigorously work-like to me. Doing shows like that is young man's sport and the biggest reluctance is I'm simply not up for anything new. Trudging up & down 11 flights of stairs elbow-to-elbow with people isn't tugging at my heart-strings. I get the feeling I would only be giving a half-hearted view to everything I saw and anxious to get home knowing what I have to listen to here. I'm just not tempted by some shiny new audio-related widget today.

I've missed all of the college football season thus far and much of the NFL save for my home team efforts. I'm anxious to see my home again uncluttered and without tools scattered around everywhere related to this project. I wanna go out, get brunch or a steak and a beer, sit home all day on Saturday in my boxers or bath robe if I choose. I want my life back! Just become comfy in my own skin again. I want to relax and reacquaint myself with Ms Devialet. We didn't get off to a very good start initially. I didn't like her much and today I'm feeling like we deserve another go. One of us has REALLY come around ;-)

Thank you but no... besides brunch and a steak I'll be staying 'in' this weekend!

Send a picture to Devialet. I don't know if Devialet is sending anyone to RMAF but I would love to see their faces if they had your unit in their hands. Big Grin  I am a tad older than you and also quite obstinate about completing my project so I understand the need to recuperate. Wink
Synology 713+ -> Aurender N10 -> D 200 -> Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers. ClearAudio Emotion TT. Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker and Galileo (USB) Interconnects and Synergistic PowerCell UEF S - Virginia U. S. A.